Dolphins have some serious roster holes? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins have some serious roster holes?

number1fin

#onephin
Club Member
Reaction score
Gregg Rosenthal writes:

The offensive line and secondary face more questions than they did a year ago. This is a team to watch when it comes to low-level veteran trades and waiver pickups when roster cuts are announced. The Dolphins still could use veteran help at left tackle, running back and at cornerback, where it's uncertain how soon rookies Jamar Taylor and Will Davis can play.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216199/article/afc-east-training-camp-preview-four-big-questions

Does this guy even have a clue?

I wouldn't take it that personally!

His point about the whole offensive line having more questions is not on point in my opinion but all of us have to admit that specifically at left tackle we don't know what we have and I wouldn't mind seeing a good LT backup.

Same about RB. We're happy with our talent but have we seen production from that group? Not really.

CB - I don't agree that we have serious holes there but we would like contributions from rookies and that is always a question until they prove it.

The only thing that I think is a little over the top was the snide remark about having roster holes after spending money.

Compared to last year LT is very much a bigger question this year than it was last year, I don't think anybody expected Jake to play as poorly as he did so I agree with that point.

However, I disagree with the secondary argument, Sean Smith sucks balls and when Vontae was traded I'm pretty sure everybody knew how ****ty our secondary was going to be. If anything this year we have some reason to be optimistic, although a lot of that optimism hinges on Grimes being able to play at 100%.

LT is still a question and you could make the argument about RG being a question. Though RG is much stronger than last year at this time.

I am not sure how the secondary is worse than last year. Marshall, Jones and Clemons are returning and only Smith is not. But we upgraded with Grimes and drafted three corners in the draft. I think the secondary is stronger than last year.

We lost Bush, but that is because they are happy with Miller.

This story reminds me of stories I would receive for copy editing while working as an editor for a newspaper. Poorly researched and clearly pulling information from old sources without offering any new insight to support his argument.

In other words, he owed his bosses a piece on the AFC East and BS'd some of it to get it pushed through.

This story reminds me of stories I would receive for copy editing while working as an editor for a newspaper. Poorly researched and clearly pulling information from old sources without offering any new insight to support his argument.

In other words, he owed his bosses a piece on the AFC East and BS'd some of it to get it pushed through.

Exactly. This story obviously wasn't researched well. This was an article that should've been made like 3 months ago.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't totally disagree with this, although I believe we're better than last year and mostly like the off season moves we made.

LT is a question mark. Again, one of the reasons I feel they really want Leach apart from his lead blocking, is incase we need help at Tanney's blindside.

The secondary is a question mark but not a major hole. Yes we're ok a t safety, but Grimes' Achilles while healed, isn't yet proven under game time conditions and our rookies, while very promising, aren't yet proven under full speed, padded, big league competition.

Lamar Miller I think is going to be a stud, but I'm not terribly impressed with the rest of the group. There appears to be nice talent there but, IMHO we can claim this to be a solid group yet.

Yes, I believe he does, as I mostly agree with him. Martin is the team's #3 choice at LT, after not getting a deal done with Long and/or Albert. I hope this does work out but, if not, it would not shock me to see the Albert trade re-visited or, a vet added off final cuts for insurance.

I wanted Bradshaw but, he did not last long enough to see what we have at RB. I love Miller but, the 2nd RB is yet to be proven.

I'm good at CB for now.

I could also see a player or two added at LB, and maybe S and WR, depending on what happens in camp.

Count me among the clueless for now.

Yes, I believe he does, as I mostly agree with him. Martin is the team's #3 choice at LT, after not getting a deal done with Long and/or Albert. I hope this does work out but, if not, it would not shock me to see the Albert trade re-visited or, a vet added off final cuts for insurance.

I wanted Bradshaw but, he did not last long enough to see what we have at RB. I love Miller but, the 2nd RB is yet to be proven.

I'm good at CB for now.

I could also see a player or two added at LB, and maybe S and WR, depending on what happens in camp.

Count me among the clueless for now.
Jonathan Martin was drafted last year specifically to replace Jake Long. He's been groomed for this since day 1, thus initially was always considered the #1 choice to take over the LT position. Yes, Jeff Ireland explored other options along the way but what he eventually settled with was supposed to be the original plan. Sorry if I'm the one to just now tell you that but that's what you're now currently seeing in action.

So unfortunately your clueless tally has been counted, thanks for playing...:survivor:

Jonathan Martin was drafted last year specifically to replace Jake Long. He's been groomed for this since day 1, thus initially was always considered the #1 choice to take over the LT position. Yes, Jeff Ireland explored other options along the way but what he eventually settled with was supposed to be the original plan. Sorry if I'm the one to just now tell you that but that's what you're now currently seeing in action.

So unfortunately your clueless tally has been counted, thanks for playing...:survivor:

I don't believe that for a second. No one expected us to just let Long walk last year. Everyone expected Long to be a part of the team for years to come. Martin was drafted to play RT...not LT.

“I’d like to clear the air on an article,” Ireland said. “I don’t normally go overboard on media speculation. But last night I saw an article about Jake Long. I have plans to keep Jake Long here for a long time. So, let’s don’t get ahead of ourselves. …We drafted Jonathan Martin to be a tackle on this football team, a right tackle on this football team. Let’s don’t speculate any further than that.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...hins-ot-jake-long-wont-talk-cameron-wake.html

So yeah, about that.

Anyways, i didnt see anything wrong with the quote in the original post. We do still have questions. The interior of the offensive line has needed help for a few seasons now, Incognito isnt well suited for the zone blocking scheme we run and Jerry has proven he cant be relied upon. The secondary wasnt thrilling last season. We certainly improved with Grimes, but we have question marks at the other corner position. Not to mention we need alot better play from our free safety.

Id add that we need another receiving threat. For what we want to do on offense, 3 or 4 receivers that can line up all over the field. Instead, the only weapon we have is Wallace and perhaps Keller. Hartline is somewhat consistent but is adverse to finding the endzone and there is a reason why teams avoided signing Gibson.

We have some pieces to this franchise that will allow us to make noise in the future. But this roster still has some holes. We didnt do much to correct them, instead focused on replacing positions Ireland screwed up seasons earlier(tackle, receiver, linebacker). I get people are drinking the kool aid after this offseason, but if this roster was phenomenal and only needed a few upgrades we wouldnt have lost 9 games last year.

I don't believe that for a second. No one expected us to just let Long walk last year. Everyone expected Long to be a part of the team for years to come. Martin was drafted to play RT...not LT.

Martin was drafted with the knowledge Long was an upcoming free agent and he may leave if he demanded too much money, considering his declining play over the last couple of years. No one expected Long to walk but, no one was surprised he did and it just so happens, we drafted a college LT the year before. Martin was drafted with the expectation he could do whatever was needed of him to do.

The write up is a little on point and a little off it. We don't really know what Martin will give us. This is the only possible hole though, although I THINK Martin will be fine. CB is better than last season and I'm comfortable with our RBs. Actually, the RBs are like the LT. I THINK Miller will be fine but, I don't know it 100%.

Since when do you speak for "no one", and "everyone"?

You can use generalizations like that till you're blue in the face but it still doesn't make it true.

If what you say is even remotely true, we would've never signed Tyson Clabo.

Why bring in a veteran RT instead of LT?

Why not just keep Martin at RT and by any means necessary, with all the money and picks, find a different alternative at LT?

Why not draft Lane Johnson?

Back
Top Bottom