Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread | Page 53 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys.

Been reading this forum for years now, but knowing that so many of you are going to get hit by this storm has encouraged me to sign up. I wanna wish you guys the best and here's hoping that we can all have some fun and discuss how good DeVante Parker is gonna be this year (or how bad Byron Maxwell is) at this time next week. Stay safe.

They would have to create a new storm category (category 6, 7?), for a hurricane to be strong enough to maintain hurricane force winds as far inland as Atlanta is in GA. It's landlocked by several hundred miles. We're 3-5 hours from the nearest coastal cities.

Hurricane Opal in 95 reached far inland in Georgia and Alabama with hurricane force winds and didn't regress into a tropical storm until it reached Tennessee.

My father lives in St Croix, VI, so there's no escaping the storm for him. They're directly in it's path, and there's almost zero chance it veers away from them. No place to evacuate to. All he can do is hunker down. I talked to him earlier this afternoon, and he didn't seem worried at all. I'm freaking terrified.

Hurricane Opal in 95 reached far inland in Georgia and Alabama with hurricane force winds and didn't regress into a tropical storm until it reached Tennessee.

I was here for that (on leave when I was in the Army). It was nothing but rain and strong winds (30-40 mph) by the time it got to us.

Today around 4pm I went to a few gas stations around Boca and none of them had gas. Luckily I had about 3/4 of a tank left of gas. I went tonight at midnight because I thought the line would be smaller. Nope, waited for about 45 minutes to get gas.

I'm heading up to Orlando to stay wth some family, might even catch the UCF game Friday night.

Anyone have any advice on what roads will be like on Thursday? I was here during Andrew in 92 but I was only a year old. I was here for Matthew last year and probably didn't even take that one seriously enough, but thankfully it didn't make any landfall down here. Not trying to **** around with this one, especially since it could be a cat 4 or 5 on impact with florida.

I also heard that all toll roads will be free for travel during evacuations and whatnot.

Today around 4pm I went to a few gas stations around Boca and none of them had gas. Luckily I had about 3/4 of a tank left of gas. I went tonight at midnight because I thought the line would be smaller. Nope, waited for about 45 minutes to get gas.

I'm heading up to Orlando to stay wth some family, might even catch the UCF game Friday night.

Anyone have any advice on what roads will be like on Thursday? I was here during Andrew in 92 but I was only a year old. I was here for Matthew last year and probably didn't even take that one seriously enough, but thankfully it didn't make any landfall down here. Not trying to **** around with this one, especially since it could be a cat 4 or 5 on impact with florida.

I also heard that all toll roads will be free for travel during evacuations and whatnot.

Assuming Irma heads into South Florida, voluntary evacuations will begin tomorrow and maybe mandatory by Thursday. Keys should have a mandatory evac by tomorrow to try and get them out first. The roads will be heavy but you get out when you can.

Lines for fuel can get crazy. For Matthew we ran out at a few stations up here in Jax. I had to drive to Green Cove Springs and still waited about 45 minutes as well.

We're moving to New Orleans in a couple months and have already discussed the fact that my family will be heading up to my wife's parents' house in Canada anytime there's a legitimate threat, as early as possible. Them staying isn't even an option.

We're moving to New Orleans in a couple months and have already discussed the fact that my family will be heading up to my wife's parents' house in Canada anytime there's a legitimate threat, as early as possible. Them staying isn't even an option.

You don't mess around. Talk about getting the hell outta dodge.

You don't mess around. Talk about getting the hell outta dodge.

I'll probably stay, as I'm sure you understand. No reason to risk it with them. None. We'll have a literal rainy day fund to cover it so long as we live there.

I'll probably stay, as I'm sure you understand. No reason to risk it with them. None. We'll have a literal rainy day fund to cover it so long as we live there.

Yep. My wife had to work thru Matthew. Hospitals don't close and you can't evacuate ICU patients.

Yep. My wife had to work thru Matthew. Hospitals don't close and you can't evacuate ICU patients.
Exactly. If my hospital doesn't need me, I'll probably volunteer at the VA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Florida have a pretty good organized evacuation plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom