Dolphins Identify A New, Mildly Surprising Big Need (in Their Eyes). | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Identify A New, Mildly Surprising Big Need (in Their Eyes).

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
So it’s notable that when NFL Network analyst and former Redskins and Texans general manager Charley Casserly spoke to Dolphins officials this offseason, they identified two primary draft needs to him: linebacker and cornerback.

Yes, cornerback, a position where Miami has invested a 2016 second-round pick on Xavien Howard and a 2017 third-round pick on Cordrea Tankersley. A position where they have a slot cornerback (Bobby McCain) who they insist they really, really like. A position where Tony Lippett is returning from an Achilles injury that wiped out his 2017 season after he intercepted four passes and displayed considerable growth a year earlier.

It’s easy to understand why the Dolphins believe they need more cornerbacks:

1) They play in a pass-heavy league where teams lined up in three-receiver sets against them 65 percent of the time last season.

2) Lippett is coming off a major injury, and the body of work isn’t big enough on Tankersley to know if he’s an above-average starting NFL cornerback.

3) Lippett and McCain are eligible for free agency after the 2018 season, and Howard has two years left on his contract.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle209214124.html?__twitter_impression=true

I'd be okay with Ward or Minkah if we chose to go DB. Not my preference, but I wouldn't be upset at all

We really have no idea the way the draft board will fall. There could be 4 to 5 guys that could impact our defense in BIG way. That being said if we are strictly talking corners, I would not be upset with Josh Jackson at #11. Love Edmunds, Smith, Fitz, Vea and the white boy LB Vander Esch in no particular order. The man I'm obsessed with is Derwin James. He's the pick for me all day at 11. Hope he's there but most likely not. He could Instantly change our secondary and bring them into the conversation as Elite.

Last edited:
I would say if the best player available is a corner why not take him. With Tankersly, Howard, McCain and Lippet being so young my preference wwould have been to seek a decent aging vet to mentor them instead of adding even more youth. However, if the talent level is too high to pass on I would have no problem drafting another corner.

So, yeah, smokescreen season. And, well, every team wants more CB's, that's just the nature of the league these days, and if you've ever experienced a drop off in talent when someone gets injured, it truly gives coaches nightmares when that drop off is at CB. But personally, I'd say we could always use another good CB, but it is not presently a need.

no no no, and im sure its not a smokescreen, gase has said before you can never have enough cornerbacks. we need to fill 3 starter rolls that don't have a set starter TE, OLB, FS as quickly as possible in draft. but he said it last year and we had X, Maxwell, McCain and a healthy Lippett coming off a pretty decent season and we still drafted Tank high, so who knows. I just want to come away with our starters at TE, FS, OLB by the end of the second day. if he wants to draft a CB in round 4, then awesome, if we trade back and pick up another day 2 pick and he wants to get corner, then I can live with that too. But on topic I guess that CB can always be a position of need, but the importance of that need is down the list a little. especially if we draft a good FS or a LB that can cover

Shocking would be the word if the Phins drafted a CB at 11, to many other pressing needs on this team.

I wouldn’t be surprised at this at all. Tank struggled at times last year, and Lippett had question marks before suffering a season ending injury. Howard at times looked like a #1 but other parts of the season seemed to be more of a #2. I don’t see a shut down corner on this roster, and most good teams have 1.

I think the secondary would benefit more from a true FS to help out the young corners deep. Fitzpatrick or James make more sense to me, but if they have Ward as a shut down corner and he is available that wouldn’t piss me off. I want a QB or LB at 11, but CB or S wouldn’t anger me unless Mayfeild is in the board. I would have a flashback to 2000 and taking Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees, and I may break things.

Looks to me the top cb will drop to us. I just see those gaping holes as pass lb and dt and if the player is close in talent you have to go for need or if available trade back a spot or few. I think DT is deep in the first round so maybe you gamble on taking one of those guys. I look at Smith as my pick.

Ward is the ONLY true corner that's worth taking at 11. Minkah of course but he's a corner/S
I do understand the team wanting another good corner and we play nickle so much but I agree we have more pressing needs and of course not enough picks

CB may not be the biggest "Need" in the Draft (in my mind) but if the BPA is a CB then take him. We need a TE in the 2nd and we need to get a serviceable LB fairly early with a rotational DT in the later rounds.

My choice if we draft at our original pick would be D. James in the First, M. Gisecki in the second and then look at QB or LB in the 3rd. There will be some serious twists come Draft day and that would change how I think. If we trade down I wouldn't be mad. I would then target Vander Esch in the first or Godert depending how late the pick is but a CB there would also make sense.

What I REALLY don't want to see is a move UP the board. That would mean we are over drafting a QB and its not the time to do that. Roll with Tannehil and backups for this season and draft his possible replacement next year.

At this point it would be easier to name the positions the Dolphins have NOT expressed interest

Back
Top Bottom