Dolphins interested in Alexander/Edge | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in Alexander/Edge

Trading away next year's #1 for Edge or Surtain would be a HORRIBLE move on our part.

That kind of narrow thinking is what got the Wannstedt regime into trouble. For Christ's sake... KEEP your 1st Rounders! They're valuable, and there are plenty of backs to be had in this draft.

This also goes entirely against what Saban's philosophy is, so I'd give this about a 10% chance of happening.

Maybe Saban wants to make this team the best he possibly can this year? Get to concentrate on an OL, WR, or QB in the draft. Hard to see how Saban would fit Edge or Alexander under the cap with the 2nd-pick player in draft too. Maybe we would move down more to aquire more picks that are less cost-wise?

I Say Do It Those Are Two Very Proven Backs That Would Put Us As Contenders Rite Away.

This may be more smoke. Saying that we are going to trade for a RB eliminates our perceived need for Brown or Caddy. This may have other GM's thinking we are going to draft a QB or WR. Teams targeting specific players may see their options narrowing and might want to trade up. Saban is keeping everyone on there heels. I like it.

It's all speculation on Scouts Inc.'s part. There is no solidity to this. They are speculating all of thise to make an article that people will read.

Minnphin said:
This doesn't make sense to me. Why trade away a pick in a first round that's going to be thick with one of our most needed positions (LT) for a running back when there are nearly 10 starting quality backs that could be acquired in the first three rounds this year. This sounds more like a Wanny move and I hope the rumor isn't true.

there are not 10 starting quality backs in this draft. If that were the case then next year 10 backs from this draft would be starting on NFL teams.

We are suffering in this year's draft b/c we threw away a second rounder last year. No way should we throw away next years first rounder b/c our team isn't going to be fixed in a year. We need to pace ourselves. And no, a first rounder next year is not worth this year's second round, no matter what any draft charts say. A first rounder next year is still a first round pick, its just slightly further in the future. A sports franchise is going to be around longer than just this season and we have to realize this if we want to be good for an extended period of time.

Minnphin said:
This doesn't make sense to me. Why trade away a pick in a first round that's going to be thick with one of our most needed positions (LT) for a running back when there are nearly 10 starting quality backs that could be acquired in the first three rounds this year. This sounds more like a Wanny move and I hope the rumor isn't true.
i really like ur mock draft...that is the PERFECT draft.

Oboy said:
Did not see this posted already... Talking about the phins options of who to draft saying we have a lot of choices. However, the interesting part I found was in the middle of the article...

This was written saying if it happens, then drafting a QB (smith) makes more sense.

Now I was surprised to hear we are still looking at these two bc of their salaries they would require. Also that we would trade a draft pick for them. Thought Saban said he would not trade draft picks?

It is an espn insider article, however if you have insider here you go...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2037230

i wouldn't give up anything more then a 2nd.

dolfan4good said:
:lol:
BTW - That's Body Paint she has on not a jersey.

yeah, and know what makes paint better than a jersey? it comes off with water, lol

Actually, picks decrease in value. A first in 2005 is worth a 2nd in 2006. So a 1st next year is really only worth a 2nd this year. However, they could probably be had cheaper. Not to mention the salary problems of trading for a top 5 RB coming into a contract year. Except for that, it actually isn't that bad of a move. It allows you to spend your #2 overall pick on BPA or take advantage of the rare chance of being able to draft a potential franchise QB instead of drafting for obvious need (RB) and not getting a better return on the pick.

Back
Top Bottom