Dolphins interested in Alexander/Edge | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in Alexander/Edge

afishfan said:
there are not 10 starting quality backs in this draft. If that were the case then next year 10 backs from this draft would be starting on NFL teams.

Not every back that could be a successful starter in the NFL is. I was just saying that there are 10 guys (actually 11, now that I go through and count) that could be productive for us in a starting role. Not saying all of them will be, but there are some that will be there in rounds two or three that would have a pretty good chance. I think that Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, Marion Barber, JJ Arrington, Ciatrick Fason, Eric Shelton, Ryan Moats, Vernand Morency, Kay-Jay Harris, and TA McClendon could all have the potential to go somewhere and be productive starters.

Just send Surtain and this years #7 to Seattle for Alexander. Seattle already said they would take a 2nd round pick for him, and Saban wants a second-rounder for Surtain. They're even. Sweeten the pot w/ a throwaway pick and we will have a Franchise RB.

dolphingator said:
Just send Surtain and this years #7 to Seattle for Alexander. Seattle already said they would take a 2nd round pick for him, and Saban wants a second-rounder for Surtain. They're even. Sweeten the pot w/ a throwaway pick and we will have a Franchise RB.

How much longer do you expect Alexander to play? And at the effective level a "franchise RB" would denote? He is alreay gonna be 28 in august and this will be his 7th year in the league, not a "franchise" guy in my opinion. Maybe worthy of a 1 year franchise TAG, but not worthy of becoming the back we try to build a franchise around, or at least with (should we try to build it AROUND a new QB). I don't see him being this good too much longer.

Oboy said:
Did not see this posted already... Talking about the phins options of who to draft saying we have a lot of choices. However, the interesting part I found was in the middle of the article...

This was written saying if it happens, then drafting a QB (smith) makes more sense.

Now I was surprised to hear we are still looking at these two bc of their salaries they would require. Also that we would trade a draft pick for them. Thought Saban said he would not trade draft picks?

It is an espn insider article, however if you have insider here you go...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2037230

If this type of move transpires, then drafting a QB at #2 would make more sense, as you suggest, but a 1st rounder is not the going price for SA or EJ at this time...when we were last looking at them the price was a 2nd rounder...why would he give that much up ?? But something like this could occur if we make a trade with TB and Smith or Rodgers fall into our laps...still seems to be a high price for either of those RBs...Not to mention the cost of signing them.

Agent51 said:
How much longer do you expect Alexander to play? And at the effective level a "franchise RB" would denote? He is alreay gonna be 28 in august and this will be his 7th year in the league, not a "franchise" guy in my opinion. Maybe worthy of a 1 year franchise TAG, but not worthy of becoming the back we try to build a franchise around, or at least with (should we try to build it AROUND a new QB). I don't see him being this good too much longer.

Let me guess... you are one of the ones who is so sold on the wondrous greatness of AJ Feeley, aren't you? For some reason which I cannot fathom, a 28-year-old Feeley (who has NEVER played half of a season's worth of games in any season) is OK with you guys, while a 28-year-old (durable)Alexander is washed up and over the hill. 28-year-old-Feeley is juuuuuust now coming into his prime acc. to you guys, while it's time for Alexander to be checking out the retirement homes. :shakeno:

Smithboy said:
Trading away next year's #1 for Edge or Surtain would be a HORRIBLE move on our part.

Especially since we already have Surtain.

Back
Top Bottom