Dolphins interested in Alexander/Edge | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in Alexander/Edge

Oboy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Did not see this posted already... Talking about the phins options of who to draft saying we have a lot of choices. However, the interesting part I found was in the middle of the article...

Saban is exploring the possibility of trading a first-round pick in 2006 to Indianapolis for Edgerrin James or to Seattle for Shaun Alexander.
This was written saying if it happens, then drafting a QB (smith) makes more sense.

Now I was surprised to hear we are still looking at these two bc of their salaries they would require. Also that we would trade a draft pick for them. Thought Saban said he would not trade draft picks?

It is an espn insider article, however if you have insider here you go...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2037230

That seems hard to believe. I suppose I question that source. Thanks for the post.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why trade away a pick in a first round that's going to be thick with one of our most needed positions (LT) for a running back when there are nearly 10 starting quality backs that could be acquired in the first three rounds this year. This sounds more like a Wanny move and I hope the rumor isn't true.

It is an insider article from Scouts, Inc...

For what it is worth.

NO SABAN DONT!!! D'Brickshaw Ferguson is waiting to join us next year!!!

Thank you for the info just wrote a thread, wondering if anybody knew.

It would make sense if that does happen and if we do draft Alex Smith. But to pay for one of those RB's and the first round pick would be hard. Unles we trade down. If we do trade down and we lose Surtain, I would draft Roole. If he is availbe.

Could this be another SmokeScreen? Put this rumor out there so teams would think the Phins arent interested in a back in this year's draft?

haha i was just reading this same article, its a good one with good info on who the browns would take and the bears situatoin

Does anyone else remember Saban saying he "won't" be trading draft picks? Am I wrong in that? Just seems weird that he would trade a FIRST round pick, when he is against trading picks period.

you trade next years 1st round pick (probubly ~17th overall), for a great RB.

allowing you to draft a great:

WR (high chance of probowl skills)
QB (always a gamble with QBs)
OT (very good OT)
OLB (high chance of probowl skills)

and you get a probowl RB. insted of taking a chance on a draft pick.
sounds like a very smart thing to do.

and dont forget, a 1st rounder this year, is like a 2nd round next year.
but even better cus you wont have to give up the #2 overall pick.
and you give up the ~17th overall next year. (and if you do even better, it could be the 20+ pick.)

ch19079 said:
you trade next years 1st round pick (probubly ~17th overall), for a great RB.

allowing you to draft a great:

WR (high chance of probowl skills)
QB (always a gamble with QBs)
OT (very good OT)
OLB (high chance of probowl skills)

and you get a probowl RB. insted of taking a chance on a draft pick.
sounds like a very smart thing to do.

and dont forget, a 1st rounder this year, is like a 2nd round next year.
but even better cus you wont have to give up the #2 overall pick.
and you give up the ~17th overall next year. (and if you do even better, it could be the 20+ pick.)

Good point, except you have that backward... a 1st NEXT year is like a 2nd THIS year.

Oboy said:
Does anyone else remember Saban saying he "won't" be trading draft picks? Am I wrong in that? Just seems weird that he would trade a FIRST round pick, when he is against trading picks period.

i'm pretty sure he meant not trading picks for players, not picks for picks, for example the whole rumor mill thing with James and Alexander

I really don't think this trade is very likely to happen. Salary cap implications don't make any sense. James and Alexander are being shopped around for a second rounder and there have been no takers. The only way James or Alexander will be coming here is if Surtain is going back the other way. Maybe a later round draft will be involved.

Back
Top Bottom