Dolphins Leadership And Xavien Howard Continue Courtship In Good Faith | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Leadership And Xavien Howard Continue Courtship In Good Faith

They work their asses off? You mean working out at the gym and track and practicing the game? For full time million dollar salary?

I understand that he should get paid, and there’s nothing wrong with wanting the contract extension, but I don’t feel sorry for them because there is a three day walk through at the facility after a four month layoff from their job..

**** yeah they work their asses off. They don't get there just by "working out at the gym." If that's all you think it takes, probably explains why you're not a professional athlete.

other than r jones the dolphins have been pretty lucky not to have the selfish players with hold outs. if you want to be leader of the D and show you are fully buying into the new coaching staff then you show up also understanding that things are getting worked on behind closed doors. If this was the old regime still here, maybe he doesn't show up for camp. He doesn't owe Flores anything and Flores doesn't owe him anything, but man to man it looks great to know that your top player is on board with you.

But how early do we start accepting the fact that its a "business decision" to hold out? and really he wouldn't even be holding out if he didn't attend, just skipping something "voluntary". I guess X can sign an extension now, but LT has to wait til next season. why doesn't LT make a business decision to sit out this year and try to say okay its 2020 I can sign an extension now before I set foot on a football field again. And when the new CBA rolls around and the players start asking for more guaranteed money, how does this affect it. I'm going to say if im giving you more guaranteed money on all contracts, including rookie, then I want stiffer penalties for holdouts and I want the voluntary workouts mandatory.

also reg people work their asses off everyday. I'm putting in over 50 hours a week, going above and beyond at my job to take my work to higher standards and higher training practices then the guy I replaced, started back working on my degree in almost all my free time, started trying to bust my hump when im not too exhausted to lose weight and get in shape because in the professional world it benefits you not to be overweight, I cant just tell them that I don't want to honor my current pay because I think im already at a level that deserves more pay, and that im working on getting even better than that. no I know that in time that call to the office will come and I will be (or at least praying) rewarded for my efforts

usatsi_10457477.jpg

Miami Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard is under contract for 2019, entering the final season of his rookie deal — yet we have seen players opt out of voluntary workouts for less. But there are no politics or statements here for Howard, who the Dolphins have already expressed heavy interest in re-signing for the long-term.

Instead, as the Dolphins took the practice field for the first time for voluntary workouts, Howard was present and working hard. This display of good faith from Xavien is a pretty unique situation in today’s NFL. With a potential injury looming around any corner, it would be easy to say “I’ll be here…after I’ve signed my new deal.”

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...vien-howard-continue-courtship-in-good-faith/

Howard is a fool fo doing this...

Tannenbaum may have thrown him a "life jacket" by way of a deal even if he gets injured...

The coaching staff is basically Patriots South, and the Pat's are known for moving impact players before the salary gets to spicy.

Grier has his finger on the button, but I think Flores and crew will have some say so in that contract and all contracts.

"You can't make the club if you're in the tub..."

-Jommy Johnson

Howard is a fool fo doing this...

Tannenbaum may have thrown him a "life jacket" by way of a deal even if he gets injured...

The coaching staff is basically Patriots South, and the Pat's are known for moving impact players before the salary gets to spicy.

Grier has his finger on the button, but I think Flores and crew will have some say so in that contract and all contracts.

"You can't make the club if you're in the tub..."

-Jommy Johnson

That's a myth that the Patriotrs do that. They've resigned plenty of stars and superstars. Only superstar they sent off before payday was Chandler Jones.

Not to mention they paid McCourty and gave Gilmore a huge deal and they play DB.

Count me in the crowd that gives Howard credit for showing up to VOLUNTARY workouts in midst of negotiations. It's a sign of good-faith and IMO that goes a long way in longterm deal success and team chemistry.

Is he risking injury? Sure, but the risk is minimal. Is he gaining good will from the organization? I hope so. He's gotta workout somewhere.

**** yeah they work their asses off. They don't get there just by "working out at the gym." If that's all you think it takes, probably explains why you're not a professional athlete.
I do know what they do to prepare their bodies and mind, they’re getting paid millions to do it and perform, they should, mostly year round in creative ways, I do understand their off the field responsibilities, some of their class room responsibilities..and I do understand what their bodies go through in recovery..The ones who do it throughout the year I have respect for, the ones who let their bodies go in the offseason, I do not, those people don’t get it.

I do know what they do to prepare their bodies and mind, they’re getting paid millions to do it and perform, they should, mostly year round in creative ways, I do understand their off the field responsibilities, some of their class room responsibilities..and I do understand what their bodies go through in recovery..The ones who do it throughout the year I have respect for, the ones who let their bodies go in the offseason, I do not, those people don’t get it.

They weren’t getting paid millions to do it in order to get there. They weren’t getting paid ****. They got a “free” education. Cool. Sorry, but they most likely worked harder than you , regardless of what you do.

I love when people try to compare their own jobs to NFL players or athletes.

Of course if you don't show up to your shift at Cinnabon they will fire and replace you. You are not special. It's ok, sure your mom and your girlfriend like you just fine but it's ok that you are unremarkable.

Do something special with your life and sure you may get a chance to be in a position like Xavien. The NFL has worked like this for years with players negotiating terms because without star players there is no NFL yet some of you expect players to take some mystical high road just because you can't negotiate or walk like an NFL player at your ****ty office job.

Guess what, start your own business and you have the power to pick and choose who you work with, I "fire" annoying clients at least once a year. And if I'm not getting paid enough Im not forced to work with any company.

Look at Cam Wake, grinding, bagging groceries before getting his shot. Look at all the players dealing with concussion. These things don't happen at your mall job.

The NFL is not Apples to apples with your own life and that's ok. Do something about it (make yourself into someone important) or don't and stop whining about how it's not fair.

They weren’t getting paid millions to do it in order to get there. They weren’t getting paid ****. They got a “free” education. Cool. Sorry, but they most likely worked harder than you , regardless of what you do.

All I’m saying is when you make it as a pro athlete, part of the job is to keep your body in shape, and try to make gains on that body so it will perform at optimum levels when it’s game time, this is all helps your team get better.. if you don’t do that, and don’t have that mindset, then I don’t have respect for that person, because it is a major part of their job ,a job that they’re getting paid handsomely to do.

There are female athletes. Jakeem Grant is 5'7". John Brown has sickle cell. Cutler has type 1 diabetes. Jerome Bettis has asthma. Wilma Rudolph survived polio. Venus Williams has Sjogren's syndrome. Eric Berry survived Hodgkin's lymphoma. Jim Kyte and Matt Hamill are deaf. A large portion of professional athletes come from poverty.

Then there's the people without any of those issues. They have the height. They have the supportive family. Yet only a small few earn their way into professional sports. Do you think it's just luck? Do they just come out of the womb capable of playing football or any other professional sport at an elite level? :lol:

I'm not putting these guys on a pedestal at all. I respect the work they put into get where they are, unlike you and others who think they owe something to the team. Like it's some kind of privilege. Like I said, they're nothing more than chattel to some of y'all.

If you think the average 5.7 person has Jakeem Grants agility....LOL.

And no, there are very few professional athletes that come from true poverty. These players had decent enough parents to get them to school , practices, meetings and etc. True poverty as in Magnolia projects or Calico etc the average male is either dead or in jail by the age of 18. This is not an exaggeration you can look it up. they don't have mommy and daddy to drive them to football practice. They are lucky to have a roof over their head...

The idea that anyone could become a prrofessional athlete they just have to "work harder" is beyond ignorant....there are so many uncontrollable factors and circumstances involved

And no, there are very few professional athletes that come from true poverty. These players had decent enough parents to get them to school , practices, meetings and etc. True poverty as in Magnolia projects or Calico etc the average male is either dead or in jail by the age of 18. This is not an exaggeration you can look it up. they don't have mommy and daddy to drive them to football practice. They are lucky to have a roof over their head...

The idea that anyone could become a prrofessional athlete they just have to "work harder" is beyond ignorant....there are so many uncontrollable factors and circumstances involved

This is a ridiculous post. You can't redefine poverty to fit your ideals.

Like anything, there's a bit of truth to both. You do have to be very dedicated and work extremely hard to become a professional athlete, but there's also a certain level of god given talent you must posses to make it to the show. Jakeem Grant is a good example, take away is borderline Olympic track speed and see how far his "hard work" goes. There's also thousands of examples (Jay Cutler) of people who do have incredible god given talent, but never had the work ethic to become great or even make it to the bigs.

I'm sure there are examples of people who do come from extreme poverty and have great success. I'm not sure how poor Lebron was, but I doubt he had much growing up in Akron, Ohio. But when you're 6 '9 and run like a deer, you're gonna get found no matter where you come from.

If hard work was all that mattered in sport, then Michael Jordan would have played professional baseball because nobody outworked him but his talent didn't translate the same (look at Jose Altuve and then try and find that in the NBA).

And yes some people like Lebron James absolutely do come out of the womb with a rare god given ability to play their sport at an elite level, same with Zion WIlliamson. That one defensive tackle from Bama runs 4.8 at over 300 lbs, what amazing hard work!

But hey, most people don't get sports so they will find your post "ignorant" when in fact you are quite accurate lol. There may be more than "very few" players that come from extreme poverty, but the "anyone can make it in the pros if they work hard" idea is truly laughable.

Last edited:
Sign him to a fair long term deal...or trade him if we get an amazing offer. Hes under contract regardless. He’s gotta play out this year and then they could franchise him next year if they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom