Dolphins likely to fill O-line needs based on QB they draft. Here’s how the best available tackles fit in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins likely to fill O-line needs based on QB they draft. Here’s how the best available tackles fit in Miami

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score

The Miami Dolphins may have been able to fill at least three of the five positions on their offensive line this offseason.

Now, what does Miami do about each tackle position?

The Dolphins could select their next left tackle and right tackle of the future during the 2020 NFL draft later this month but prioritizing the positions will come down to Miami’s decision at quarterback.

If Miami drafts Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, the right tackle position becomes the most important on the Dolphins offensive line to protect the lefty quarterback’s blind side.

If the Dolphins trade up to No. 1 for LSU’s Joe Burrow or decides Utah State’s Jordan Love or Oregon’s Justin Herbert is a better option, the left tackle position remains a major need for Miami since Laremy Tunsil was traded away last year.

Now, here’s where it gets tricky.

Miami owns the No. 5, No. 18 and No. 26 picks in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft where the Dolphins could potentially select their next franchise quarterback, left tackle and right tackle on the first day of the draft. But offensive line needs could be met in later rounds of the draft, too.

It’s important to note which position each of the draft’s top offensive tackles have played during their college careers.

Of the four to five potential first-round tackles this year, four have experience at right tackle.

Alabama’s Jedrick Wills had 29 starts at right tackle and Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs started 30 of 34 games at right tackle, but both will likely be off the board between Miami’s No. 5 and No. 18 picks.

Louisville’s Mekhi Becton and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, who could also be top-20 picks, played right tackle during their freshman seasons to get on the field but finished their college careers at left tackle.

Houston’s Josh Jones, a potential late first-round pick, had 39 starts at left tackle.

If the Dolphins were able to land either Willis or Wirfs, their right tackle position could be settled for the next five seasons, while Becton or Thomas could offer Miami the flexibility to play either player at left or right tackle.

Auburn’s Prince Tega Wanogho, USC’s Austin Jackson, St. John’s Ben Bartch, LSU’s Saahdiq Charles, Boise State’s Ezra Cleveland are some of the top left tackles in the draft, while TCU’s Lucas Niang, Georgia’s Isaiah Wilson, UConn’s Matt Peart and Auburn’s Jack Driscoll are among the top right tackles.

Here’s what we already know: Jesse Davis is Miami’s best returning offensive lineman. He started 12 games at right tackle last season and played every snap at right guard in 2018.

If the Dolphins take a right-handed quarterback, Davis could be a solid option at right tackle. If the Dolphins draft a lefty, Davis could be a viable right guard. His position flexibility is beneficial for him and the Dolphins.

Davis will be joined by free-agent signings in former New England Patriots center Ted Karras, who replaces Daniel Kilgore, and former New York Giants/Washington Redskins lineman Ereck Flowers, who will play left guard.

Michael Deiter, the 2019 third-round pick who played 15 games at left guard for the Dolphins last season, may have lost his starting spot.

If Davis plays right tackle, Deiter could compete to start at right guard with Shaq Calhoun, who started seven games at the position, and Danny Isidora, whose season was cut short to injury after three starts at the position. Deiter could also be Miami’s backup center.

Julien Davenport finished the season at left tackle and could be a reliable swing tackle if Miami is able to draft tackles at both positions.

I don't think so. Tua runs from the shot gun and that is not likely to change. In these new offenses, "blind side" is much less important that before. They'll select the best tackle without regard to whether their QB is R/L handed.

I don't think so. Tua runs from the shot gun and that is not likely to change. In these new offenses, "blind side" is much less important that before. They'll select the best tackle without regard to whether their QB is R/L handed.

agree but I think they are looking at a left tackle more regardless of what hand tbe qb is.

that prince dude from auburn is quite stiff. I’m a no thanks on that

We need two good OT's regardless of who our QB is or who we draft. Plenty of potential this year and that includes the 2nd round imo. No need to reach if it's not there in the first round. If we can only get one very good OT in this draft then fine. Get another one in the 2021 draft.

If we take Tua at 5 then I want tackles at 18 and 26. Let's finally fix the o-line. It's been a weakness for so long. And if we draft a QB with an injury history like Tua's then we better keep him upright.

Im not fond of Davenport doing anything either, but the guy is very young so sticking around as a backup isnt a bad idea

Move Davenport to the concession stand. He can serve beer or something. The guy doesnt belong on our roster

I'm drafting 3 Tackles if it's up to me. This is a historically deep Tackle draft... every expert has said so.

So that third guy that I take (around round 5) will likely be a guy who would normally go in the third.

I'm taking a potential star in the first; a Niang, Wanagho, or Wilson type at 2b or 3, and then our new swing tackle at 5.

Jesse Davis, welcome to Right Guard.

I'm not sure we can get "very good" tackles. If we are real lucky, Thomas gets passed over. I would rate him very good, and higher than Wirfs, but I think Wirfs will get drafted earlier.

Realistically I think we could end up with Austin Jackson at 18 and Isaiah Wilson at 26/39 if we wanted to. I have other right tackles like Niang rated much lower.

I know Josh Jones is a forum favorite but I think Jackson is closer to being ready to start now. Also I wouldn't pick a center or guard early this year. I'd start considering some in the 3rd.

This is where I think those 8 draft picks in the later rounds can pay off (1 in 4th, 3 in 5th, 1 in 6th, 3 in 7th).

Hopefully Grier will be adept at using the late round picks to move up a couple of spots in rounds 1-3 to get the guys they want. If the Dolphins get 6 players they targeted in the top 3 rounds and it takes all 8 picks from the later rounds to do so then they will have had a successful draft.

If Miami traded all 8 of those draft picks they might make it to the bottom (comp pick area) of the 3rd round. Frankly I'd rather have the 7 extra picks. Use them on a punter, blocking tight end, full back, and guys with red flags/character issues/injuries. Or trade them for a round higher next year.

If they added our third round pick to those trades we would get something like the 55th pick.

Let's just run a college style offense for a QB prospect then...... Or not change or entire scheme to match one player

I'm drafting 3 Tackles if it's up to me. This is a historically deep Tackle draft... every expert has said so.

So that third guy that I take (around round 5) will likely be a guy who would normally go in the third.

I'm taking a potential star in the first; a Niang, Wanagho, or Wilson type at 2b or 3, and then our new swing tackle at 5.

Jesse Davis, welcome to Right Guard.

I drafted 3 in almost every mock i did. Let the best 2 play and keep the 3rd guy as a swing tackle....see if he improves with more coaching/experience. S

Back
Top Bottom