Dolphins likely to fill O-line needs based on QB they draft. Here’s how the best available tackles fit in Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins likely to fill O-line needs based on QB they draft. Here’s how the best available tackles fit in Miami

We dont have any OL gurus here who can explain which OT is best? Austin Jackson looks to be the only legit one left at 18.

I think we'll bring in a free agent Tackle or two before the season starts. I'm not sure how comfortable the team would be with rookie tackles at each end of the line.

We'll probably draft a OT in the first 2 rounds, then draft one or two more later on in the draft, but I would think we'll have at least 1 free agent tackle in the starting lineup before it's all said and done.

TFK

My hope is one of the Top OT's gets pushed to 18 but Miami may have to trade up 3 or 4 spots to ensure they get one of them.

But if they take Tua at 5 then a pure LT is less of a need.

Double down on tackles and draft a center. 3 OL Total in this draft.

A tackle on the first or second day. A tackle on the third day. A center on the second day.

Double down on tackles and draft a center. 3 OL Total in this draft.

A tackle on the first or second day. A tackle on the third day. A center on the second day.

I'm taking 3 tackles AND a center.... wouldn't bother taking a Guard until really late...

The Miami Dolphins may have been able to fill at least three of the five positions on their offensive line this offseason.

Now, what does Miami do about each tackle position?

The Dolphins could select their next left tackle and right tackle of the future during the 2020 NFL draft later this month but prioritizing the positions will come down to Miami’s decision at quarterback.

If Miami drafts Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, the right tackle position becomes the most important on the Dolphins offensive line to protect the lefty quarterback’s blind side.

If the Dolphins trade up to No. 1 for LSU’s Joe Burrow or decides Utah State’s Jordan Love or Oregon’s Justin Herbert is a better option, the left tackle position remains a major need for Miami since Laremy Tunsil was traded away last year.

Now, here’s where it gets tricky.

Miami owns the No. 5, No. 18 and No. 26 picks in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft where the Dolphins could potentially select their next franchise quarterback, left tackle and right tackle on the first day of the draft. But offensive line needs could be met in later rounds of the draft, too.

It’s important to note which position each of the draft’s top offensive tackles have played during their college careers.

Of the four to five potential first-round tackles this year, four have experience at right tackle.

Alabama’s Jedrick Wills had 29 starts at right tackle and Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs started 30 of 34 games at right tackle, but both will likely be off the board between Miami’s No. 5 and No. 18 picks.

Louisville’s Mekhi Becton and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, who could also be top-20 picks, played right tackle during their freshman seasons to get on the field but finished their college careers at left tackle.

Houston’s Josh Jones, a potential late first-round pick, had 39 starts at left tackle.

If the Dolphins were able to land either Willis or Wirfs, their right tackle position could be settled for the next five seasons, while Becton or Thomas could offer Miami the flexibility to play either player at left or right tackle.

Auburn’s Prince Tega Wanogho, USC’s Austin Jackson, St. John’s Ben Bartch, LSU’s Saahdiq Charles, Boise State’s Ezra Cleveland are some of the top left tackles in the draft, while TCU’s Lucas Niang, Georgia’s Isaiah Wilson, UConn’s Matt Peart and Auburn’s Jack Driscoll are among the top right tackles.

Here’s what we already know: Jesse Davis is Miami’s best returning offensive lineman. He started 12 games at right tackle last season and played every snap at right guard in 2018.

If the Dolphins take a right-handed quarterback, Davis could be a solid option at right tackle. If the Dolphins draft a lefty, Davis could be a viable right guard. His position flexibility is beneficial for him and the Dolphins.

Davis will be joined by free-agent signings in former New England Patriots center Ted Karras, who replaces Daniel Kilgore, and former New York Giants/Washington Redskins lineman Ereck Flowers, who will play left guard.

Michael Deiter, the 2019 third-round pick who played 15 games at left guard for the Dolphins last season, may have lost his starting spot.

If Davis plays right tackle, Deiter could compete to start at right guard with Shaq Calhoun, who started seven games at the position, and Danny Isidora, whose season was cut short to injury after three starts at the position. Deiter could also be Miami’s backup center.

Julien Davenport finished the season at left tackle and could be a reliable swing tackle if Miami is able to draft tackles at both positions.
Great post. Thank you.

If we take Tua at 5 then I want tackles at 18 and 26. Let's finally fix the o-line. It's been a weakness for so long. And if we draft a QB with an injury history like Tua's then we better keep him upright.
I'm curious why you put the Tua qualifier in there.

Shouldn't that be done irrespective of who the QB is.

Having a competant O-line shouldn't be predicated on Tua.

Take a tackle very early (18 or 26), then take one of the premium interior linemen either with 26, or 39 pick, and take a 2nd tackle with the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round pick...maybe later.

I'm curious why you put the Tua qualifier in there.

Shouldn't that be done irrespective of who the QB is.

Having a competant O-line shouldn't be predicated on Tua.

Of course we need to rebuild the line properly regardless of who the QB is. But if you're all in on a guy with serious durability concerns like Tua - as opposed to, say, a Justin Herbert type - I think it obviously becomes even more imperative to get it done as fast as possible.

Of course we need to rebuild the line properly regardless of who the QB is. But if you're all in on a guy with serious durability concerns like Tua - as opposed to, say, a Justin Herbert type - I think it obviously becomes even more imperative to get it done as fast as possible.
All I can say is, if you are so concerned about the injuries that you have to alter your philosophy, it might be best to go a different direction to begin with.

In any case, if the O-line isn't brought up to code, it matters not who is under/behind center.

Are you saying it's fine if Herbert gets pummeled, but not Tua? I just don't see the logic there.

All I can say is, if you are so concerned about the injuries that you have to alter your philosophy, it might be best to go a different direction to begin with.

In any case, if the O-line isn't brought up to code, it matters not who is under/behind center.

Are you saying it's fine if Herbert gets pummeled, but not Tua? I just don't see the logic there.

Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot (is fair to say)

I mean to need explaining is kind of silly. Any QB you put behind our previous years of non quality, think fair to say makes added stress tension and injury more likely.
Tua as most already know is in the questionable period of health to begin with, and common sense dictates that if you threw him out there now (which I highly doubt they'd do) is crazy. I mean putting a healthy rookie out there is crazy enough (Rosen or Herbert) but one who's health is actually in question even on the scale of "normal" fitness???

Last edited:
I've been one of the constant upgrade the OL freaks in here for the last 10+ years.

I think something we all should focus on a little more is realizing that we are in a process of more than one year in re building our team to be an actual SB contender. (though hopefully greatly improved but still going to be a bit short)
We obviously have focused on the D so far and going over board with the OL is also IMO not very wise. Though upgrades are essential but also should'nt waste the opportunity to upgrade other areas of need even though OL is IMO the #1 need.
FO I think is being wise and understand that Rome wasn't built in a day and the Dolphins in one real off season either....

Back
Top Bottom