Dolphins Lose $8MM In Cap Space | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Lose $8MM In Cap Space

Your going to see lots of teams trying to restructure contracts, knowing bigger cap numbers are on the Horizon, due to the new CBA.

You'll also see teams making lots of draft day trades to gain picks in an attempt to fill out their rosters and offset the reduction this year.

Those numbers tell us the reality that we don't have the money to spend like we did last year but some people here won't accept that and will still think that we need to get the top 3 free agents in the market. The way I see it is we might get two or 3 players total this time around unless we really do some significant cuts.

If we keep our draft picks the way they are now it'll take 11.9mill just for the draft. Also need to keep several millions open for in season moves.
I've been singing that song for months...

Ladies, we will not be doing much in the Free Agent market next year. Put away your purses and don't bother to put your high heels on... we'll be staying home.

Ladies, we will not be doing much in the Free Agent market next year. Put away your purses and don't bother to put your high heels on... we'll be staying home.
Thats why we stock piling picks. So not to spend like a sailor in a whore house.

Keep in mind, while this did increase the earning potential of a few guys in 2021 . . . . their dead cap hits remained relatively unchanged.

Rowe for example had nothing added to his base . . . the incentive comes in the form of a increase in his "per game" bonus. If he were to get injured early and had to go on IR . . . then he would never see the increase that he earned in 2020. If he was cut nothing gets added to the dead hit.

Of course the cap will account for this and will change accordingly as things happen just putting some perspective in the team "losing space".

I think we need to find the right Free Agent or two that will make this team better and solely focus on the draft. :UP:
Samuel and a backup quarterback does it for me.

I'd maybe look at Tyrod Taylor or Andy Dalton. I think the team should sign a top-end backup. Fitzpatrick if he wants to come back.

I think we need to find the right Free Agent or two that will make this team better and solely focus on the draft. :UP:
The last couple seasons proved to me that Flo and Grier have good eyes in signing players in defensive side of the ball. I would rather have them continue doing that, and use the draft mostly on offense.

Important to remember that the cap crunches every team.

What that means is that the Free Agents in general will not get their normal high contracts.

Economics> Reduced buyer disposable income results in less demand for products and lower prices.

It’s a buyers market.

Keep your high heels on.

What that means is that the Free Agents in general will not get their normal high contracts.

Economics> Reduced buyer disposable income results in less demand for products and lower prices.

It’s a buyers market.

Keep your high heels on.

Not a prediction, but I'm curious. . . If all teams expect FA salaries to drop, will they hold off on offers until a pattern emerges? Maybe not for the elite guys, but not the early frenzy of past years

Speaking only for myself, I don’t want us to get sucked into any huge signings like Robinson (who I touted big time coming out of Penn State and who I really like). Dead cap to some degree in football is a necessary evil based on the system they devised, but I’d try to minimize it in future years. Mike Wallace and these types of guys. Please.

I’d rather focus on rising players who won’t break the bank. Randy Starks to me was an ideal free agent signing. He didn’t require monster money but you land an emerging starter.

This tells me we will be cutting some players or restructuring some.

Speaking only for myself, I don’t want us to get sucked into any huge signings like Robinson (who I touted big time coming out of Penn State and who I really like). Dead cap to some degree in football is a necessary evil based on the system they devised, but I’d try to minimize it in future years. Mike Wallace and these types of guys. Please.

I’d rather focus on rising players who won’t break the bank. Randy Starks to me was an ideal free agent signing. He didn’t require monster money but you land an emerging starter.
this is how i think we need to approach it. guys with potential to become a good starter, or good depth. our depth killed us last year. Then build through the draft. don't break the bank

It’s a buyers market.

Keep your high heels on.
No... it's more of a shop from home in your PJs thing... bargains, bargains, bargains.

This tells me we will be cutting some players or restructuring some.
We may do some of that... but mostly, I think we'll be standing pat.

I see us signing the odd FA to a prove-it contract while leaning on the draft this year.

Back
Top Bottom