Dolphins meeting with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins meeting with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen

So for you Ryan Tannehill is a franchise quarterback and his starting status is unquestionable? Furthermore, we should not draft or sign any quarterback that adds legitimate competition for his place or becomes a potential successor to him should his play drop off?

We should do what EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE HAS DONE. We should use a first round pick on a QB when we have decided to move on from Tannehill, either that year or the year after. Period. That is all.

If they draft Josh Allen at #11, then they have made their choice. Period. Just like the Chiefs last draft. They drafted Mahomes. They knew he wouldn't be ready this season. They have made it clear that Alex Smith is available this offseason. Mahomes didn't beat out Smith in a QB competition. There was no competition. He was drafted to replace Smith ASAP and they are willing to move on BEFORE they are sure that Mahomes will succeed. That is the way it works.

Flacco is a very good comparison.

Tannehill's athleticism I'd say would separate him from each of those more statuesque passers.

Can't wait for the draft. I totally believe that 4 QB's could go top 10 and then you got the RB plus Chubb and maybe Nelson also going top 10 plus Minka. Davenport seems to be moving up already. There will be talent on the board when our pick comes around. I'm looking for real play makers and value. Again, I'd love to see what we do if James, Smith and Davenport are all there at 11.

Ozzy rules!!

So what, that doesn't mean Miami should reach for a QB @ 11. If someone like Rosen falls to 11 then O.K, but he's likely too good to fall. There are starters Miami should be drafting @ 11, not developmental Qb's who can be had in later rounds.

Ryan Tannehill isn’t good enough of a player to have only a “developmental qb” as competition. That’s our fundamental disagreement.

If the Dolphins like Allen, and feel he is a legitimate prospect, they should absolutely draft him.

Passing up a top Qb prospect in effort to coddle a player the caliber Of Tannehill’s feelings, is as stupid as passing up Derwin James because you already have TJ McDonald. No difference. These guys aren’t all pros.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the draft. I totally believe that 4 QB's could go top 10 and then you got the RB plus Chubb and maybe Nelson also going top 10 plus Minka. Davenport seems to be moving up already. There will be talent on the board when our pick comes around. I'm looking for real play makers and value. Again, I'd love to see what we do if James, Smith and Davenport are all there at 11.

Ozzy rules!!

It's certainly a possibility, but a lot will depend on what happens in free agency and with trades. If the Browns, Broncos, or Jets fill their vacancy with quarterbacks outside the draft (e.g. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, Drew Brees - I doubt he goes anywhere but stranger things have happened). Also a lot will depend on whether the Giants decide to draft Eli's successor or add someone to help him in a last run for a championship. Taking free agency and trades out of the equation four QBs in the top ten is a distinct possibility, though I think we'll probably end up seeing two go in the top ten with a couple falling. If they did it would make our pick interesting if two out of Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Allen, and Mayfield are still on the board.

Yes, because we're clearly so successful already.

What will it prevent us from drafting? Another Dion Jordan?

I don't understand all of the hate on Josh Allen.

It's certainly a possibility, but a lot will depend on what happens in free agency and with trades. If the Browns, Broncos, or Jets fill their vacancy with quarterbacks outside the draft (e.g. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, Drew Brees - I doubt he goes anywhere but stranger things have happened). Also a lot will depend on whether the Giants decide to draft Eli's successor or add someone to help him in a last run for a championship. Taking free agency and trades out of the equation four QBs in the top ten is a distinct possibility, though I think we'll probably end up seeing two go in the top ten with a couple falling. If they did it would make our pick interesting if two out of Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Allen, and Mayfield are still on the board.
Those are some good points. Whatever happens in free agency helps figure out what some teams do on draft day. Not just at QB but also on all the other positions. And of course lots of things will happen from now till April and guys will move up and down

Ozzy rules!!

It's certainly a possibility, but a lot will depend on what happens in free agency and with trades. If the Browns, Broncos, or Jets fill their vacancy with quarterbacks outside the draft (e.g. Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, Drew Brees - I doubt he goes anywhere but stranger things have happened). Also a lot will depend on whether the Giants decide to draft Eli's successor or add someone to help him in a last run for a championship.

Alex Smith, Bradford, Bridgewater, or Keenum are not likely to cause a QB needy team high in the draft to pass on a QB that they think is a legit starter. Smith's issue is age, Bradford has never stuck on a team, Bridgewater is a significant injury question mark, and Keenum is possibly a one hit wonder.

I can see a team like the Jags go after Smith as the final piece. There are other teams that need QBs later in the first:

Bills, Skins (if Cousins leaves), Vikings (if all three leave), Cardinals.

Bills - Cousins
Jags - Smith
Vikings - Keenum
Saints - Brees
Cardinals - Bradford
Washington - Bridgewater

Cleveland - Darnold
Giants - Rosen
Broncos - Allen
Jets take a QB or trade down a bit, then take a QB - Mayfield

If one of the QBs slip, I can see the Cardinals taking one, even if they get a vet in FA.

I’ve been watching the Senior Bowl practices for the last 2 days, it does seem that Josh Allen has been horribly inaccurate in his passes in the team drills. Although he’s flashed some arm talent in individual drills. I have mixed emotions about him. I’m on the fence about, whether he’ll be a better pro, than he’s shown so far as a collegiate player.

That 56% completion % for the past two seasons is terribly concerning

Yeah, I will say, of the top 4 QBs...Allen is the least interesting to me...the Carson Wentz effect is strong.

Did any of you watch any of his games this year? This year he took a step forward but it didn't show in the numbers because his supporting cast left for the NFL (RB Brian Hill, WRs Gentry & Maulhardt, & TE Hollister). The kid was running for his life. He had zero running game & no receivers to throw to. Teams were teeing off on him but if you watched his bowl game vs Central Michigan he put on a show & made multiple NFL throws.

BTW, I don't think we draft a QB. I think it's all a rouse. Remember last year the front office didn't want anyone to publicly know who our targets were.
Lol even the players we draft didn't know we we're interested. Charles Harris comes to mind immediately...

Alex Smith, Bradford, Bridgewater, or Keenum are not likely to cause a QB needy team high in the draft to pass on a QB that they think is a legit starter. Smith's issue is age, Bradford has never stuck on a team, Bridgewater is a significant injury question mark, and Keenum is possibly a one hit wonder.

I can see a team like the Jags go after Smith as the final piece. There are other teams that need QBs later in the first:

Bills, Skins (if Cousins leaves), Vikings (if all three leave), Cardinals.

Bills - Cousins
Jags - Smith
Vikings - Keenum
Saints - Brees
Cardinals - Bradford
Washington - Bridgewater

Cleveland - Darnold
Giants - Rosen
Broncos - Allen
Jets take a QB or trade down a bit, then take a QB - Mayfield

If one of the QBs slip, I can see the Cardinals taking one, even if they get a vet in FA.

I agree that teams aren't going to pass on a franchise quarterback in the draft if one falls on their lap, but realistically is this a class full of potential franchise quarterbacks or are they more likely to be good rather than top tier?

Josh Allen's comparison has varied from the next Cam Newton to Blake Bortles.

Josh Rosen apparently has some concerned with his attitude.

Baker Mayfield has people concerned with off field issues.

Some have suggested Lamar Jackson change positions to make it in the NFL.

Sam Darnold seems to be the main guy that doesn't have as much concern aimed his way compared to the others but he's by no means perfect.

We've seen worse classes without a doubt, but I could see a team like the Broncos with a play off calibre defense deciding to go for a veteran like Sam Bradford whose main problem has been staying healthy, but when he is he's very capable. So instead of risking another rookie quarterback they could try to win now and use their pick on the best non-QB. Likewise the Jets might see someone like Bridgewater who was an ascending young quarterback before his injury as more appealing than someone in this year's class, and give them a greater chance to push on for the play offs because they were better than expected. The Browns are, well, the Browns.

Don't get me wrong this year's class should see a number of quarterbacks taken, but if the Browns, Broncos and Jets land their ideal player in free agency like Cousins, Smith, and possibly the likes of Bradford or Bridgewater, then that changes the draft. At that point the Giants are likely the team to draft someone in the top ten, and if that's the case I suspect the Cardinals, Bills and Redskins will be clamouring to trade up above us!

This year could be really exciting to watch how things unfold in free agency and the first round.

My top 5 for pick 11 right now would consist of some combo of:

Derwin james
Josh Allen (probably gonna go top 3 once all the qb posturing is done. Ceiling is rediculous teams are already getting in line)
Marcus Davenport (projecting almost 6 foot 6 and 265 lb de. Big upside)
Mark Andrews (flex fix. Supreme route runner short area quicks and foot work. Scheme fit)
Tremaine Edmunds ( 2 down strong nickel mike 2 deep base mike)

IDK Hoops, accuracy and feet look like a night and day difference between him and Baker Mayfield in this clip.

I’ve been watching the Senior Bowl practices for the last 2 days, it does seem that Josh Allen has been horribly inaccurate in his passes in the team drills. Although he’s flashed some arm talent in individual drills. I have mixed emotions about him. I’m on the fence about, whether he’ll be a better pro, than he’s shown so far as a collegiate player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom