Dolphins meeting with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins meeting with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen

3 of the top 4 threads are Josh Allen threads. Maybe time for some merging?

I'm not as high on Allen, but Slimm and CK have made strong cases for him. FWIW, I don't care at all whether or not he's struggling at the Senior Bowl. You'll see a lot of people make their boards significantly worse by over-adjusting for this week. Don't be one of them.

My top concern about Allen remains whether he shrinks under external pressure.

I'm not talking about big moments during games. He's made enough ridiculous plays at really BIG moments during games for me to feel comfortable that way.

But every time he played in front of a huge or raucous crowd, or on a big stage, he had a really bad game overall. The only exception was his last game, this year's bowl game. Not a big crowd, but a lot of television and press attention, he went out and performed. Otherwise, bad games in front of big crowds, bad game in the BYU bowl game. Now he's not necessarily connecting in front of scouts in a big pressure week at the Senior Bowl, and it's not surprising.

Look at him from an interview standpoint. I often feel like he's nervous in those interviews. Look at him from just the standpoint of a big YEAR. He showed up to 2017 bright eyed and bushy tailed, had really not a great year under so much strain, and by the end of the year every time you saw him he looked like a college kid that had spent 72 straight hours in the library during finals week.

He gives that interview that showed up in Dolphins fans inboxes this week, talking about how he'd love to play backup for Ryan Tannehill. I want my quarterback to say he's fine with being a backup, say all the right things, be a team player, etc. But I want a sense from him that he's really not OK with it, deep down. Allen did TOO convincing a job here. He starts talking about backing up in Miami as if it would be the biggest RELIEF for him, which only feeds into what I've noticed with him about external pressure. He's there talking about how being a backup would be great because he could learn the playbook with no pressure, he could buy a house and set up his marketing stuff without being worried about it distracting from his football duties, etc. Where's your head at, kid?

When you hear it, you hear it, and I heard it. I heard the relief in his voice. And who does that sound like to you? What uber talent have we seen capable of playing like an All Pro, even leading his team to a Super Bowl, but has trouble handling the stress of big games, big expectations, even to the point of benching himself? Remind you of anyone?

There's a bit of that in him, and that's the biggest thing I'm worried about.

Can it get better? Absolutely. Anyone that's ever done anything from a performance standpoint knows that the 100th time you get on that stage, in front of that crowd, or into those high pressure roles, is not anything like the first 10 times you try and do it. It was really encouraging to me to see him in that bowl game this year come out of the gates swinging, and then really enjoying and insisting on staying in the whole game, keeping up his intensity.

Saw that a couple of times in the Georgia game, too.

I don't think size is going to be what causes a potential Mayfield slide... I think it's going to be limited athleticism. Call me crazy.

I think Mayfield has a bit of a run mentality like Russell Wilson except he's not anywhere near as elusive or fast as Wilson...speed wise I'd say he's similar to johnny manziel and he found out quickly in the pros that he couldn't just outflank nfl speed

he looks real pedestrian when he tries to get horizontal outside and then ends up backing off and throwing the ball into the 3rd row or off his back foot into a tight window...real pedestrian

i think Mayfield is gonna be one of those kids where someone comes up early round 2 into late round 1 for him...if that's "dropping" i don't know that it is really...he just doesn't have the package to carry a top 10 grade

Josh Allen just towers over Baker Mayfield when they are next to each other on the Senior Bowl field. Hard to believe its only 5 inches.

I think Allen might miss a few passes here and there due to accuracy issues, but he will more than make up for my making passes due to his arm strength that other qb's can't make. I think at worse his arm strength will balance out his accuracy issues.

Its a bit annoying when people compare Mayfield to Russell Wilson. Wilson is MUCH more athletic and has better acceleration than Mayfield does. Mayfield can scramble a bit, throws from good platforms and makes plays but there is no chance he is in the same category as Russell Wilson. If he was 2 inches taller there would be zero comparison's to Wilson.

Great summary. Some of the comparisons this year drive me nuts. Russell Wilson plays with his feet relatively close together and can instantly sense pressure and dip, dodge and dart in any direction. He can do it multiple times on the same scramble if needed. Mayfield has a wide stance like Larry Craig and is much more heavy legged. He has good running instincts, unlike Robert Griffin. If a path is there he can take it and create a throwing lane. But he's not going to manufacture things out of nowhere as Wilson does, and like hoops pointed out he's going to have more difficulty than he expects in eluding NFL defensive linemen.

I still give Mayfield a benefit of a doubt.

I think Allen might miss a few passes here and there due to accuracy issues, but he will more than make up for my making passes due to his arm strength that other qb's can't make. I think at worse his arm strength will balance out his accuracy issues.

I know what you mean. Some of the big armed guys can be comfortably be thrown out due to no accuracy or touch or feel for the game, like Clausen and Hackenberg. Allen is more of a guy who will wow then disappoint, no matter what level he is on. He'll look bad on a throw but as soon as you want to pretend it is a throw he cannot make, the next one of that type is absolutely perfect and impossible to defend.

I tend to doubt Baker Mayfield is significantly less athletic than Russell Wilson when it comes to measurements. Maybe a tenth of a second on the 40 yard dash (Russell ran a 4.55) but very similar agility measures. Not sure why people are choosing that hill to die on. They're very similar in overall elusiveness.

My top 5 for pick 11 right now would consist of some combo of:

Derwin james
Josh Allen (probably gonna go top 3 once all the qb posturing is done. Ceiling is rediculous teams are already getting in line)
Marcus Davenport (projecting almost 6 foot 6 and 265 lb de. Big upside)
Mark Andrews (flex fix. Supreme route runner short area quicks and foot work. Scheme fit)
Tremaine Edmunds ( 2 down strong nickel mike 2 deep base mike)
No way I can put Edmunds, Andrews or Davenport above Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Minkah grades 10++ in football IQ, athleticism, character. My buddies daughter plays ball at Bama- they all run track together (all the athletes there) -Minkah is a NJ kid so they have a NY/ NJ connection. Anyway, the kid is as good as they come.
He is your Earl Thomas type for next 10 years.
Your captain. He will do everything you ask and he's damn good and safe.
Edmunds is still in diapers and Davenport hasn't played against nearly the quality and I'm not even sure he's a 4/3 DE.
Andrews- I don't see anything dynamic about him. Solid yes but idk not in this discussion.

No way I can put Edmunds, Andrews or Davenport above Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Minkah grades 10++ in football IQ, athleticism, character. My buddies daughter plays ball at Bama- they all run track together (all the athletes there) -Minkah is a NJ kid so they have a NY/ NJ connection. Anyway, the kid is as good as they come.
He is your Earl Thomas type for next 10 years.
Your captain. He will do everything you ask and he's damn good and safe.
Edmunds is still in diapers and Davenport hasn't played against nearly the quality and I'm not even sure he's a 4/3 DE.
Andrews- I don't see anything dynamic about him. Solid yes but idk not in this discussion.

I’m assuming that fitz is gone. The vibe I’m getting is hes long gone. I’m gonna look at Andrews again today.

I’d put josh rosen on that list if he got to 11. Can’t ignore the ideal fit

Tier One: Rosen Allen Darnold Barkley
Chubb Minkah James

Tier One gone- Explore Trade down.

Tier Two: Payne -Ward -Quentin -R Smith

Tier One: Rosen Allen Darnold Barkley
Chubb Minkah James

Tier One gone- Explore Trade down.

Tier Two: Payne -Ward -Quentin -R Smith

I agree with the tier one list. Edmunds isn’t on that level due to instincts and Andrews isn’t gonna test athletically or run top 20 worthy

Back
Top Bottom