Dolphins name new starting 5 on the OL and TE (merged 2x) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins name new starting 5 on the OL and TE (merged 2x)

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Finally they will name a starting 5 on the OL

To me this will be very important, because now these guys can work together and get on the same page..I think that is very important from a continuity position..getting to know each other and what the guy next to you will do in different situations.. This will help a lot..

Coaches to line up offensive front

LT seems to be the sticking point...Nails seems like he earned the LG position..

I'm really curious to see what they are gonna do. I would have thought Tony Wise would be all for moving Dixon to LT to shake things up however, it appears Wise is against that decision and would prefer Smith or Spriggs to do the job.

But both have been pretty darn inconsistent ever since minicamps begun and it has not gotten too much better. Just take a look at the Saints game. Norv Turner was handcuffed...not allowed to call for a single 7 step drop while Fiedler was in the game because it would expose Fiedler's blindside too much given the Smith/Spriggs (disastrous) combo. That much is documented. Its time we start finding out if Dixon can play there, and we SHOULD have found this out sooner but I think we wanted to make damn sure we'd have a capable guy taking Dixon's place at LG.

? is who do you cut if Dixon does well at LT...Smith or Spriggs, we can't keep them both.. I think Wanny is incline to try Dixon there even though Wise may be against it..but then again he see's the lineman everyday and don't think Dixon is ready for it. This is a interesting point and scary..We don't have a LT..one of the most important positions on the line for a right handed QB

It is indeed an interesting question. I would say keep Spriggs who is I believe the younger of the two and may have more promise for the longrun, however what would that do to Dixon? Not only does he go to LT to replace his friend Smitty, but Smitty gets CUT because of it? OUCH. In the end I think what we'd do is probably keep both, and if Nails goes out with an injury, then Dixon would move over to replace him and either Spriggs or Smith steps in at LT while the other backs up at both tackle positions. That would be 9 total offensive linemen, which is not completely out of whack considering the injury histories. Dixon-Nails-Ruddy-Perry-Wade, then backups Searcy, McKinney, Smith, and Spriggs. If Perry goes out Searcy steps in. If Ruddy goes out McKinney steps in. If Nails goes out Dixon steps in and Smith/Spriggs go in at LT. If Dixon goes out, Smith probably steps in, and if Wade goes out Spriggs probably steps in. Andrew and Cesario are cut.

Oooch!!! "Andrew and Cesario are cut."
More good Youth throw out the door..and these guys are developing nicely too.
This will be very interesting.

Smith and Spriggs are the same age.

I would think they'd keep Smith since he's been on the team and actually played with these guys instead of being hurt and never really played much for us. I only give that as a potential tie breaker because the ability is too close to call right now.

cut alonzo mayes im tired of his unproductive years. We should keep both Baker and AJ

BTW there is also an article in the Sun on this Offensive line still a work in progress.

If Dixon was moved to LT, so that the line was Dixon-Nails-Ruddy-Perry-Wade, I would expec the backups to
  • Searcy, If Perry (or Wade - if Cesario is cut) goes out Searcy steps in.
  • McKinney
  • Smith or Spriggs
  • Cesario or Andrews - to have some youth on the line

The announcers said he had a wide open Konrad for a pass and threw it to a triple teamed chambers on one INT.

Originally posted by Sherif
The announcers said he had a wide open Konrad for a pass and threw it to a triple teamed chambers on one INT.
was this meant for another thread :topic: (nothing personal I just like that smilie :o ). I can move it if so...

The new front four

WQAM is reporting that the new front 4 will be
LT Dixion
LG Nails
Center Ruddy
RG PERRY
RT Wade

Also TE will be McMicheals. Some players were upset because the media found out before they did.

Re: The new front four

Originally posted by Den54
WQAM is reporting that the new front 4 will be
LT Dixion
LG Nails
Center Ruddy
RG PERRY
RT Wade

Also TE will be McMicheals. Some players were upset because the media found out before they did.

Where are the reporting that on the station or on the website?

it's official

[intro]Dolphins Announce New Starting Offensive Line and Tight End

Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt named Jamie Nails the starter at left guard Saturday and shifted Mark Dixon to left tackle. The starting offensive line now features Dixon, Nails, center Tim Ruddy, guard Todd Perry and tackle Todd Wade. Rookie Randy McMichael will start at tight end.
[/intro]

see full story at http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020817/ap-dolphins-offensiveline.html

Back
Top Bottom