Dolphins NEED Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins NEED Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield

Agree or Disagree? Draft Baker or no?

• Yes

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Draft a QB but not him

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Don’t even draft a QB

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
Agree. Mayfield is the Man.
Can anyone find us a better QB in the draft ?

-Winner,
-Heisman Trophy winner (favorite),
-Leader,
-Leading the #2 team in the nation with the opportunity to be #1,
-45 Points per Game (When, if ever, have you seen us scoring 45 points per game ? We NEED to be scoring 45 points,...that's a high-powered Offense !),

He basically has the spark that motivates his O line, Receivers, and consequently the entire team.

By the way, there's a reason why a team's success is closely related to a star QB, because long drives and time of possession keeps our Defense off the field and fresh, (which is the opposite of what's been happening this season).

So yes; Tannenbaum, Grier, Gase; starting planning to draft Baker Mayfield now.

The rap on Marino was that he liked the white powder too much and he did have one of the lower Wonderlich scores.. about 8-10pts lower than the avg QB draftee. Again, how did that work out?

I really don’t understand how you can keep comparing Mayfield to Marino. Nevermind the fact that they’re completely different QBs, Marino is the exception not the rule. Players with drug, party, and law issues rarely ever change once they get into the NFL. There are far more Manziel’s than Marino’s.

Baker Mayfield is the QB the Dolphins need in this draft. Now, ofcourse the Dolphins wont even look at a QB because they are the Dolphins and their front office is run by a bunch of puppets.. But since i’m not them, i’ll give my case. There is no QB in this draft that wants to win more than Baker Mayfield.. He isn’t the tallest QB, he isn’t the biggest QB, he doesn’t have a huge arm and isn’t a Josh Rosen guy where you can be plugged into any NFL system. But Baker Mayfield just, wants, to win. That is something that NO quarterback on the Miami Dolphins wants to, or cares about doing right now. Don’t tell me Cutler wants to win, he just wants to make his $10M. Don’t tell me Matt Moore is gonna lead you to a Super Bowl, he’s a good backup folks. And Please don’t tell me Ryan Tannehill (who by the next time he steps on a field he’ll be 30 years old and coming off 2 ACL tears in a span of 8 months) is leading us to a Super Bowl let alone a playoff win (which he hasn’t done yet in his 6 years). Isn’t winning it all the main goal for these people in the front office? Is it? Because if it is, you go with Baker Mayfield in this years NFL draft. You can’t just keep going, draft after draft, without finding your franchise QB. The Texans didn’t wait, they found theirs last year in the draft with Deshaun Watson. The Eagles didn’t wait they found there’s by trading up to get Carson Wentz. The Raiders found there’s in Derek Carr. Miami Dolpnins, please, don’t be like the Browns and keep screwing up these draft picks. This draft class is filled with FRANCHISE-CHANGING type players.. And I guarantee you Baker Mayfield is the Dolphins franchise-changing player. I’m not arguing for him to start next year, but PLEASE dolphins, give this guy, give this WINNER a chance.

There will be no day one QB

This organization has struggled identifying quality QBs in the draft. Please tell me why we would get it right now. If we did, it would be absolute dumb luck. I wouldn't hold my breath that it happens my friend.
you just proved my point.. i said our organization is run by puppets for a reason, they keep screwing up draft picks. If they struggle “identifying” talent at the QB position then why are they running the front office to begin with

Agree. Mayfield is the Man.
Can anyone find us a better QB in the draft ?

-Winner,
-Heisman Trophy winner (favorite),
-Leader,
-Leading the #2 team in the nation with the opportunity to be #1,
-45 Points per Game (When, if ever, have you seen us scoring 45 points per game ? We NEED to be scoring 45 points,...that's a high-powered Offense !),

He basically has the spark that motivates his O line, Receivers, and consequently the entire team.

By the way, there's a reason why a team's success is closely related to a star QB, because long drives and time of possession keeps our Defense off the field and fresh, (which is the opposite of what's been happening this season).

So yes; Tannenbaum, Grier, Gase; starting planning to draft Baker Mayfield now.
you’re absolutely right

Despite what the honks at ESPN say, I think there is some good QB talent in this draft. I'm not sold on Mayfield as an NFL QB, but I do like Mason Rudolph (OSU) and Josh Rosen, and I was impressed by Kurt Benkert (UVa) in their game against Miami. Probably his best game of the year, but he looks NFL-ready. Of course we'll end up drafting Lamar Jackson and he'll be the next RGIII.

you’re absolutely right
I really don’t understand how you can keep comparing Mayfield to Marino. Nevermind the fact that they’re completely different QBs, Marino is the exception not the rule. Players with drug, party, and law issues rarely ever change once they get into the NFL. There are far more Manziel’s than Marino’s.
This is a college kid who got wasted on a weekend and way overdid it ONCE as far as I can see. Comparing him to Manziel is just as disingenuous as you claim comparing him to Marino being the anomaly is. Do you really think Marino would have gone in the first round if subjected to the scrutiny and transparency of today? Or would he have plummeted like Ryan Mallott ended up doing based mostly on rumors? That's my point. Mayfield got out of control as a college kid to the point of resisting arrest while knockdown drunk once as far as we know. Was Manziel ever made A&M captain like Mayfield was this season? That's just as specious a comparison IMO. And why do you think that one youthful indiscetion would turn into a serious substance abuse dependency like it did with Favre?

This kid is a leader, respected and beloved by his teammates and has shown that he both plays with his heart in it and can put the team on his back. One friggin video'd screw up and he's a POS? Ponderous! ****ing ponderous!

This is a college kid who got wasted on a weekend and way overdid it ONCE as far as I can see. Comparing him to Manziel is just as disingenuous as you claim comparing him to Marino being the anomaly is. Do you really think Marino would have gone in the first round if subjected to the scrutiny and transparency of today? Or would he have plummeted like Ryan Mallott ended up doing based mostly on rumors? That's my point. Mayfield got out of control as a college kid to the point of resisting arrest while knockdown drunk once as far as we know. Was Manziel ever made A&M captain like Mayfield was this season? That's just as specious a comparison IMO. And why do you think that one youthful indiscetion would turn into a serious substance abuse dependency like it did with Favre?

This kid is a leader, respected and beloved by his teammates and has shown that he both plays with his heart in it and can put the team on his back. One friggin video'd screw up and he's a POS? Ponderous! ****ing ponderous!
completely agree with you on that. The comparisons to Marino are just as, or actually more fair than the comparisons to Manziel. Manziel was a guy who single handedly wasted his NFL career. Marino was a partier and look how he turned out. Not saying he’s Marino but I definitely see more of a ceiling to Brees than a bust like Manziel.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a look, but there are things I dont think. He is only 6-1 and will be 23 by the time next season starts.

But he is tough. He is a gamer. And he has arm talent.

I think he is a second round talent who will be overdrafted because of team success.

An argument can be made that he was responsible for team success, particularly overcoming a sporadically undependable if not poor D
cases in point:
beating Kansas State 42-35, Ok State 62-52, Baylor 49-41, WV 59-31. They did lose to Iowa St 38-31 so there is that, but it's still 31 pts he put up.

top 10 is too high for him. I like the kid, but right now where we are picking will be to high. his feet suck, and it will kill him at the next level. if we can sneak back into the first or trade up in the 2nd to get him I all aboard.

but hell even if we do take him early il support the decision, he just wont be ready for awhile.

I think people get too caught up in when a guy gets drafted. Whether you find your franchise QB in round one, or round seven, shouldn’t make any difference. If you need one, then you take the best fit for your organization when the opportunity arises. Obviously the Phins have many needs besides the QB spot, but if you want a particular QB than you often can’t sit around hoping he will drop a round or two. I think Tannehill will be our starter in 2018, but I hope our #2 will be a drafted rookie, and not Moore, Cutler or Fales. Mayfield plays with a lot of fire. I also like Lamar Jackson of Louisville.

I'm trying to be open minded.

Rosen, Darnold , Allen - easier decision, worth a trade up

Lamar is a wildcard. Looks dangerous if he plays smart and stays healthy.

I still have doubts about Mayfield.

Back
Top Bottom