Dolphins' Ness wants to make himself untouchable | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Ness wants to make himself untouchable

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
MIAMI GARDENS — Nate Ness knows all too well what life on the bubble feels like.

Ness, a University of Arizona alum, spent all of 2009 there bouncing around with four different teams. He wound up on the Dolphins' practice squad during the regular season.

He even switched positions from safety to cornerback this summer to improve his chances of making the Dolphins' 53-man roster.

Based on Saturday night's performance, where Ness sealed the 10-7 victory over Tampa Bay with a pass breakup in the end zone on fourth down, and forced a fumble in the red zone in the game's final three minutes, it appears Ness' position switch is paying off.

Click here to get breaking sports news text alerts

"To be told by the team that I sealed the victory is a dream come true. But I can't dwell on it," said Ness, who contributed four tackles, broke up three passes and forced two fumbles. "I have to get better, and better as each day goes on to stick around."

Ness realizes one good game won't be enough to become the team's fifth cornerback. Especially considering the coaches want to get more consistency out of him.

"I was happy to see Nate bounce back a little bit. He had a couple plays earlier in the game that weren't exactly done the right way fundamentally," coach Tony Sparano said. "To see him get involved in a couple coverage things, and come up and make a tackle, that was good.

"Here's a young guy in situations where maybe the first time around, in his first series, it wasn't perfect. Then he bounced back and he shows you some of that."

Sparano said some of Ness' best work came on special teams where he excelled in his role as a gunner on punt coverage.

Ness said he realizes his best chance of staying in South Florida -- either on the 53-man roster or remaining on the practice squad -- is to be a dominant special teams player.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins-nate-ness-0814,0,7685147.story

it wil be hard for him to make the team unless w.allen is put on the ir or something. i dont see him makeing the team over j allen or caroll, and it doesnt look we will be able to hide him on the ps. the only way is if we keep 6 cb's.
we may keep him on the 53 just for the fact he can play cb s and st

At least he knows that one game won't guarantee him a spot, but from what I saw of him I was impressed. Glad to have him.

The most important thing that came out of that article was this: "Sparano said some of Ness' best work came on special teams where he excelled in his role as a gunner on punt coverage."

The only reason Jason Allen is still on this roster is because of ST play. If Ness can keep it up on ST while continuing to show ability on defense, Allen's days are numbered. I see no reason why they would keep a ST player, over a guy who plays just as good on ST, has more potential, and is cheaper.

The most important thing that came out of that article was this: "Sparano said some of Ness' best work came on special teams where he excelled in his role as a gunner on punt coverage."

The only reason Jason Allen is still on this roster is because of ST play. If Ness can keep it up on ST while continuing to show ability on defense, Allen's days are numbered. I see no reason why they would keep a ST player, over a guy who plays just as good on ST, has more potential, and is cheaper.

I picked up on that part too -- and it is very interesting indeed. It was almost a hint.

Jason Allen will not be let go, but the Fins could keep 6 CBs.

it's crazy but maybe someone will give us a late round pick for jason allen

Jason Allen will not be let go, but the Fins could keep 6 CBs.

And why do you say that? Jason Allen sucks. If Ness and Caroll can both be key contributors on ST, I see no reason to keep Allen. Again, he sucks. I suppose it's possible they keep 6 CB's as insurance for Will Allen, but all Allen had done was a cleanup to get rid of scar tissue that was bothering him, and should be perfectly fine by week 1.

Back
Top Bottom