Dolphins’ Next Play-caller Talks Offensive Philosophy, What He Wants In A Qb And More | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Next Play-caller Talks Offensive Philosophy, What He Wants In A Qb And More

This is his quote and exactly the opposite of Gase. Very refreshing to hear. May not have success right away but he’s got the right idea!

“I think it’s important to identify what your players that you have available to you do best and to try to build the system around what those players do.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article225310845.html#storylink=cpy
Said every coach ever. This quote is like a broken record.

However, O'Shea is probably the coach I'm most excited about. I do like his approach to game planning and I'm very anxious to see what he does on game days and how he develops players.

Values accuracy and decision making at QB, so you can forget Lock and Jones unless he has no say and/or is blind, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Glad to see him highlight one of the best aspects, if not the best aspect, of NE's approach - adjusting gameplans/how you use players based on the opponent. It doesn't matter what you do best. It matters what you do best against the team you're playing. The Patriots have been so good for so long, because they make a concerted effort to neutralize their opponent's strengths and attack their weaknesses. Can't do that without versatile players and a versatile approach.

Where could we have been a hard nose running team? Ajayi, he wasn't that type of back...Gore was more that type of back. We never had the lineman for it under Gase so I could see the aspect of not drafting the right guys, but we never got rid of players to make it work. We never had them to begin with.

So you're going to conveniently forget all those times the running game is working and Gase abandons it?

Values accuracy and decision making at QB, so you can forget Lock and Jones unless he has no say and/or is blind, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Glad to see him highlight one of the best aspects, if not the best aspect, of NE's approach - adjusting gameplans/how you use players based on the opponent. It doesn't matter what you do best. It matters what you do best against the team you're playing. The Patriots have been so good for so long, because they make a concerted effort to neutralize their opponent's strengths and attack their weaknesses. Can't do that without versatile players and a versatile approach.

A valuable aspect in the QB position that I never really thought about until we got Tannehill is processing speed highlighted by @ckparrothead

Think about this, Tannehill has better QB matrix(Arm strength, velocity etc) than Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc. So why isn't he more "elite" than those QBs?

I would argue that Tannehill has more than enough accuracy and decent decision making(passing).

But his problem and most average to below average QB problem is processing speed.

The great ones pre-snap/post-snap just see it quickly and respond.

The type of throws Brees makes before the receiver breaks or the DB has a chance to even turn his head around, assuming they ever, is insane.

BTW, the Browns, Mayfield has it.

A valuable aspect in the QB position that I never really thought about until we got Tannehill is processing speed highlighted by @ckparrothead

Think about this, Tannehill has better QB matrix(Arm strength, velocity etc) than Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc. So why isn't he more "elite" than those QBs?

I would argue that Tannehill has more than enough accuracy and decent decision making(passing).

But his problem and most average to below average QB problem is processing speed.

The type of throws Brees makes before the receiver breaks or the DB has a chance to even turn his head around, assuming they ever, is insane.

It was pretty obvious that Henne never had the processing speed. It was more hidden from Tannehill as Philbin realized how limited in football intelligence he was and made everything simple (go, go-go, no audibleing). Then gase came in and didn’t do any homework proclaiming how great he could make tannehill. He then blamed everyone else except tannehill for how bad the offense was.

So you're going to conveniently forget all those times the running game is working and Gase abandons it?

Those were specifically schemed plays and was never consistent.

Ajayi would have the 200-yard games and average 8 yards a carry then average 2.5 yards per carry the nest week. None of it was consistent. You can't use anomalies to support a norm, it was sustainable. We never had the guys up front to be a "hard nose running team".

Those were specifically schemed plays and was never consistent.

Ajayi would have the 200-yard games and average 8 yards a carry then average 2.5 yards per carry the nest week. None of it was consistent. You can't use anomalies to support a norm, it was sustainable. We never had the guys up front to be a "hard nose running team".

At no point in the season did Ajayi have 200 yards rushing and the have 2.5 ypc the following week.

If you expect a runnng back to have 200 yards each week you are crazy. He followed his first 200 yard game with another 200 yard game. Then followed it up with 111 yards. His last, 261 yard game, was followed up w a 3.6 ypc performance.

That was a running team and Gase hated it so he sabotaged it.

At no point in the season did Ajayi have 200 yards rushing and the have 2.5 ypc the following week.

If you expect a runnng back to have 200 yards each week you are crazy. He followed his first 200 yard game with another 200 yard game. Then followed it up with 111 yards. His last, 261 yard game, was followed up w a 3.6 ypc performance.

That was a running team and Gase hated it so he sabotaged it.

Are we ignoring 2017 all together?.

I'm not putting this on Ajayi either, but he wasn't a "hard nose runner" He was outside zone, he would take contact against the secondary real well, but he wasn't a guy who could run hard in the middle. It just wasn't his game. In the end, we simply did not have the lineman to sustain that type of offense. I do put that on Gase as he wanted his offense to be a passing base offense and wanted his team to reflect that, but let's not pretend that the running game was some great thing and we got rid of all the players that drove it. The line was still basically the same line the next season.

Are we ignoring 2017 all together?.

I'm not putting this on Ajayi either, but he wasn't a "hard nose runner" He was outside zone, he would take contact against the secondary real well, but he wasn't a guy who could run hard in the middle. It just wasn't his game. In the end, we simply did not have the lineman to sustain that type of offense. I do put that on Gase as he wanted his offense to be a passing base offense and wanted his team to reflect that, but let's not pretend that the running game was some great thing and we got rid of all the players that drove it. The line was still basically the same line the next season.

Didn’t he lead the lead in yards after contact in 2016 by a lot?

2017 Ajayi struggled with the dolphins Bc gases crap offense played in a box. The other teams could play the run because even if the were wrong they wouldn’t be beat deep.

Coincidently once they got rid of Ajayi they went 2-7.

Yes, and Tannehill was/is smart. People were right to say that; however, being smart/processing information super quickly are two different things. The great QB's are smart AND have elite instincts. Just like with arm strength and accuracy, there's a range. There are QB's who are much worse at processing than Tannehill, as well, but he's definitely worse than what you want in this regard. Of current QB's Brady and Brees are the best. Matt Ryan is probably closest to those two. Wilson is very good, and when you factor in his playmaking instincts, he's elite. Mahomes, contrary to popular belief, processes info extremely well, but his instincts when things break down/when he's pressured are not very good; people see the highlights and arm talent and assume this is where he excels. Rodgers is pretty similar to Russell Wilson. Watson is, as well. Mayfield is more like Brees and Brady, but he needs to understand his limitations better, and I think that will come with time. Most of the other QB's are pretty meh in this regard, and they either overcome it with physical talent, or they're not very good. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two, though.

Accuracy/touch/trajectory variation, intelligence, instincts, feet, and arm talent (just needs to be enough) will lead you to good QB's. Physical talent on top of those is a nice bonus, but unless you're Cam Newton, it won't do much to overcome those deficiencies - not at a high enough level.

Didn’t he lead the lead in yards after contact in 2016 by a lot?

2017 Ajayi struggled with the dolphins Bc gases crap offense played in a box. The other teams could play the run because even if the were wrong they wouldn’t be beat deep.

Coincidently once they got rid of Ajayi they went 2-7.

Yes, he did, he hit that outside zone, break the tackle of the CB and go for another 30 plus yards. When the play was there he did well.

What s interesting is bringing up the worry about "being beat deep" when Miami was one of the top teams in long plays including many deep passes.

Listen, I understand your disdain for Gase, he's gone and we most likely are going to be better off, but many issues we had are multifaceted and not just a single thing you can point to.

Which is why he had the Rookie, TE in-line trying to block the other teams best PR? Give me a break. Gase is as inflexible as it comes as an OC.

The guy had stud RBs that would pop off 3-5 yards per carry and refused to use them because it diminished his precious passing game.

And what happens if we don't lose people on the line? - you don't know. Maybe we don't do what we did, especially with the TE's that were forced to block. I said Gase played too safe at times but to say wasn't flexible is nonsense

the instinctual thing with tannehill is something that I definitely agree with. that seems to be separating him from others. and it took me a while to figure it out but that's different than just pre to post snap read and knowing where to go with the football which I think tanny has done at a plus level

the instinctual thing with tannehill is something that I definitely agree with. that seems to be separating him from others. and it took me a while to figure it out but that's different than just pre to post snap read and knowing where to go with the football which I think tanny has done at a plus level

Good QB's are great with good protection. Elite QB's are great in virtually any situation. I still say Tannehill can win a Super Bowl with a fantastic Oline but he definitely needs it

Back
Top Bottom