Dolphins Notebook: Big Props for Boyer, Tua Events, OTA Sightings and More | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Notebook: Big Props for Boyer, Tua Events, OTA Sightings and More

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There were a lot of factors involved in the success of the Miami Dolphins defense last season, from innovative game plans to brilliant individual performances by players like Xavien Howard.

But let's also not forget about the play calling, which helped the Dolphins baffle their share of opponents last season.

This is where defensive coordinator Josh Boyer comes in, and Pro Football Focus gave him some major props in its series of NFL rankings.

Boyer came in at number 4 on PFF's list of defensive play callers, ahead of well-established defensive coordinators like Leslie Frazier and Todd Bowles, the latter the former Dolphins interim head coach.

"In just the second season of the Dolphins' rebuild, and Boyer’s first as their defensive coordinator, they fielded one of the league’s best defenses, allowing them to win double-digit games for just the second time in over a decade," PFF wrote about Boyer. "The Dolphins, ranking just 14th in pass-rushing grade, were able to secure a league-leading 18 interceptions, led by Xavien Howard's 10. Emmanuel Ogbah, who has long been a bust in the NFL since being drafted No. 32 overall in 2016, produced nine sacks himself.

"While a bit noisy, the Dolphins' 2020 performance has a decent chance of carrying forward due to the front office's continued effort to secure draft capital — one piece of which turned into Jaelan Phillips in April, the draft’s best edge defender."

Last edited:
What does “while a bit noisy” mean in this context?
I take it to mean the amount of turnovers and sacks or overall disruption they caused as a unit. They are implying it will be hard to keep that level but Miami stands a chance to make it happen.

If it doesn't mean that then I am stumped lol.

I take it to mean the amount of turnovers and sacks or overall disruption they caused as a unit. They are implying it will be hard to keep that level but Miami stands a chance to make it happen.

If it doesn't mean that then I am stumped lol.
That's what I understood. This year our base defense should be stronger.

Thanks for posting.

Our defense was good, no doubt. If memory serves me correctly we were ranked close to #1 at a point in the season. And we are now better.

The pups are biting

How could that be? Didn’t pff rank our DL like 23 and Lb group like 17 and secondary 10th?

allowed over 400 yards in half their games and nearly 1000 yards in 2 games against buffalo. but yeah, stout defense.

How could that be? Didn’t pff rank our DL like 23 and Lb group like 17 and secondary 10th?

Seems to be that their opinion is that the coaching helped a mediocre group of players exceed expectations. You can disagree with the rankings but I do think its hard to argue with that general interpretation. The defense as a whole performed better than you would have expected given the individual talent level, with the exception of the corners.

There's a reason Van Noy and Lawson were let go and we're about to see a whole lot of turnover in the front seven and potentially with the secondary. The coaching staff were not thrilled with what they had on the field last season.

And people aren’t really paying attention to our defensive potential with all the talk about our O. Given how well they played last year and the room they had to grow.

Phillips and Holland filled the two major needs we had with big time talent.

Seems to be that their opinion is that the coaching helped a mediocre group of players exceed expectations. You can disagree with the rankings but I do think its hard to argue with that general interpretation. The defense as a whole performed better than you would have expected given the individual talent level, with the exception of the corners.

There's a reason Van Noy and Lawson were let go and we're about to see a whole lot of turnover in the front seven and potentially with the secondary. The coaching staff were not thrilled with what they had on the field last season.

What an ODD perspective....How do you take coaching out of a team sport? How do you rank without factoring that coach plays a critical role?

Were those Baltimore teams, Seahawks defense what they were solo because they had I’m assuming beside in your premise superior players? No coaching needed?

Back
Top Bottom