Dolphins Offer Is This...kreutz Would Mean Cuts... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Offer Is This...kreutz Would Mean Cuts...

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
Williams, Kruetz and Chester could all be Dolphins by Tuesday

ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that Miami and New Orleans met yesterday and made some progress on the Ricky Williams trade. They'll meet again today to hopefully finalize a deal.

He also reported that Miami will meet C Olin Kruetz's demands for a new contract averaging 4 Million a year with 6-7 million up front in a long term deal. Chicago still could make a similiar offer but are beginning to give way to Miami's deal. Kruetz, who just got married on Saturday, has a big decision to make.

Finally, DT Larry Chester, a free agent from Carolina, is expected to finalize a deal by Tuesday to start at DT for Miami. He'll be expected to fill Daryl Gardener's spot alongside Tim Bowens with Daryl moving to DE.

Wow........finally some serious news for the Fins. I hope it all comes true.

You beat me to the punch....

I just read this news on ESPN.com and was about to bring it to FinHeaven until I read this post...LOL!

This all sounds great, and I hope it happens. It's good to see the Fins being aggressive. Just as long as they are smart about it.

GO FINS!

from Clayon (ESPN)

Saints, Dolphins still bargaining
The Saints and Dolphins met Sunday to bridge the gap on a Ricky Williams trade and made some progress in the evening. Going into the session, the Dolphins offered their first- and third-round choices, but they wanted a second-round choice from the Saints to finalize a trade for Williams. The Saints said no. Their counter was to have a first- and third-round choice or a first-rounder this year and a third-rounder in 2003. That third-rounder would upgrade to a second if Williams gained 1,300 yards for the Dolphins. The Dolphins don't want to give up first- and third-round choices this year because they don't have a second-round choice. The two sides will meet again Monday to see if they can finalize a deal.
March 3, 2002
More decisions facing Kreutz
The Dolphins have the lead in trying to sign Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz, but he couldn't have had a worse time trying to decide his future. Saturday, Kreutz got married in a massive ceremony in Hawaii. To come back and say "I do" to someone else in 24 hours was too tough. The Bears aren't officially conceding they lost Kreutz to the Dolphins, but they are starting to sense it. The Dolphins are willing to pay the $4 million a year price to get Kreutz along with giving him a signing bonus in the $6 million to $7 million range. Now Kreutz faces the decision of staying with the Bears or going to Miami.

Re: Makes one wonder though...

Originally posted by GazPhin
...where's the Cap space coming from for a deal of that magnitude?:confused:
partially from cutting Ruddy

Given the cap situation...

... I buy Pasquarelli's take that we backed off from the deal. Otherwise it's the only deal we can afford. But the alternative note is newer, so there's hope. Time will tell.:D

though this makes it seem like he could easilty re-sign w/da bears:
Bears | Free Agent Notes - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
9:02 PT: The Chicago Tribune reports the Chicago Bears now feel they have enough salary cap space to re-sign free agent C Olin Kreutz and LB Warrick Holdman. The Bears have made their strongest pitch yet for Kreutz, offering a six-year deal with what one Bears official says would be the largest signing bonus ever paid to a center. "We've stepped up to the plate with Olin," GM Jerry Angelo said.

Looks pretty terminal...

...why go off to a new outfit, learn the new system just for the sake of a sun tan. Wait, no, I'd do that for the sun tan.:lol:

He doesn't have the bad feeling with his current team that might tip the balance in Miami's direction. Even if the money were equivalent. $5 mil a year against the cap over 6 years is a big commitment for the position. Good QB's are getting that.:eek:
(Oh, and so is Jay if he fulfils his contract).:lol:

This is great news guys! Let's........

Originally posted by Canuck
ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that Miami and New Orleans met yesterday and made some progress on the Ricky Williams trade. They'll meet again today to hopefully finalize a deal.

He also reported that Miami will meet C Olin Kruetz's demands for a new contract averaging 4 Million a year with 6-7 million up front in a long term deal. Chicago still could offer a similiar deal but are beginning to give way to Miami's deal. Kruetz, who just got marrieed on Saturday, has a big decision to make.

Finally, DT Larry Chester, a free agent from Carolina, is expected to finalize a deal by Tuesday to start at DT for Miami. He'll be expected to fill Daryl Gardener's spot alongside Tim Bowens with Daryl moving to DE.

Wow........finally some serious news for the Fins. I hope it all comes true.

all is finalized today(Monday)!:eek: Man, I'm trying to hold down my excitement until some of these deals can be finalized/completed.:D

I think Dave and Rick might be turning the tables and are now listening to my message/avatar!:smile:

Re: Given the cap situation...

... I buy Pasquarelli's take that we backed off from the deal. Otherwise it's the only deal we can afford. But the alternative note is newer, so there's hope. Time will tell.:D

Just so you know, the Pasqurelli article is about 4 days old. The Clayton article is from this morning. This must mean that the 'Fins are stepping up on Kruetz.:eek:

Re: This one's quite recent

...but it's not that positive. At least it ioncludes a view from Spiel.

Dude. Olin is from Chicago. It's a law that at least one FA from Chicago signs with the phins :lol:

Re: Looks pretty terminal...

...why go off to a new outfit, learn the new system just for the sake of a sun tan. Wait, no, I'd do that for the sun tan.:lol:

He doesn't have the bad feeling with his current team that might tip the balance in Miami's direction. Even if the money were equivalent. $5 mil a year against the cap over 6 years is a big commitment for the position. Good QB's are getting that.:eek:
(Oh, and so is Jay if he fulfils his contract).:lol:

Current Miami Offensive Line coach, Tony Wise, was Kreutz's line coach in Chicago until last year. Wannestadt coached Kreutz his rookie season and Spielman drafted Kreutz in the 3rd round as then Chicago VP of Player Personel. I think Kreutz will make a fairly easy transition to "sunny" Florida should he decide to accept our offer.

I do agree that it's a big commitment though. In fact it's a huge commmitment for a Center. If he turns out to be half as good as Zach's nemesis, current Jet Center Kevin Mawae, then I'd say he's worth it. The fact that managment is even entertaining the idea of signing Kreutz for this kinda money speaks volumes about their opinion of Tim Ruddy. Evidently the lack of running lanes inside this past season had more to do with Ruddy than either Guard position. If Kreutz signs, we should find out if that is in fact the case.........

Back
Top Bottom