Dolphins officially announcing staff hires | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins officially announcing staff hires

I wonder if it's Campanile and they are working on the contract? Or maybe Harbaugh is trying to retain him? I don't know if UM needs him to help snag some key recruits for the second signing period?

Wow, that's certainly a heaping helping of responsibility. I will say one thing: Flores is all about accountability. I'm not sure if it leads him ultimately to coach of the year or the unemployment line but I do admire how he's not using our low level talent base as an excuse to rank near the bottom of the league in offensive statistical rank. I'll at least give him that. The Dolphins finished 27th in yards (310 per game), 25th in scoring (19.1) and last in rushing (72.3) in 2019. In what world is that anywhere near good enough? Well, to Flores it obviously isn't - and he's not making excuses about it. Lack of talented play makers be damned. High staff turnover means a new learning curve again so that'll take some time to overcome. But I do laud the coach for not being afraid to pull triggers. And you know what? If Gailey isn't getting it done, he'll be gone too. That's ENORMOUS pressure on any incoming coach....and might explain why so many of our other coaches wanted out?

Actually you picked the one quote which did not come from Flores but is the writers opinion. ;)
Believe me Gailey will not be the ONE person with the sole responsibility of picking our future QB. Be it through the draft or otherwise.

Flores seems to stress the teaching component of coaching... and with the turnover of rosters, I can appreciate that aspect. Remember with some other staffs we said we really didn’t see player growth and improvement?

I am not saying it will work out with this group, but I can say, I kinda understand the approach..
Three words that Flores emphasized yesterday when talking to the media were:

Teaching
Communication
Innovation

Maybe O’Shea was lacking in one of those areas. We’ll never know.

I think it’s a positive thing that Flores is not content with the way his offense performed in 2019, and is looking to improve the unit by bringing in new coaches.

Now, is it a risky move considering he really didn’t have to make these changes? Absolutely. Especially if our passing offense regresses. Don’t think our running game can get any worse.

Hopefully Parker + Williams + Gesicki continue to grow and this turns out to be a good move by Flores. But I do understand the skepticism in response to these changes. I'm definitely in wait and see mode, even though I do trust Flores.

All these guys Flores hires could have been hired last year. Why didn’t he sign them then? At least this way they being going into year 2 together instead of feeling things out yet again.

I believe that Chan Gailey & O'Shea (NE) use a modified version of the Erhardt-Perkins offense which should have the same terminology. I expect (hope) to see very similar use from the WR's/TE's with the emphasis of change being in the running game. Also sounds like Gailey is the one who selected Robby Anderson as his QB coach. Outside of RA and Steve Marshall, all of the offensive coaches are the same.

No announcement of Anthony Campanile is odd. Must still be working on the contract. Surely he will be the DB coach as AT mentioned above.

About Gailey:

“This is someone who has been around the block,” Flores said. “It could be spread. It could be the power game. It’s whatever. He tries to put players in position to do the things they do well. You’ve heard me say that often. That’s something I’ve always seen from him, and something I have a lot of respect for.

“He’s very innovative,” Flores said. “He’s been a head coach in this league. He understands situations. He has coached a lot of different types of players. He’s done a job of getting the most out of players. He’s someone I have a lot of confidence in. He’ll help us.”

He mentioned the word "innovative" when talking about both his new coordinators.
He did, but I'm way more interested in the implication that he's flexible. Flexibility and adaptability in a DC/OC/HC is one of the most valuable trends a coach can have, IMO. There's nothing sadder than a coach trying to force his system on a group of players that don't fit it.

I agree. Back up/mentor I’m ok with it. But with these recent hires it looks like the plan is for him to start in 2020
I think we absolutely have to accept that Fitz will be starting in 2020, unless the rookie we draft is somehow ready to start day 1 (which seems unlikely).

All these guys Flores hires could have been hired last year. Why didn’t he sign them then? At least this way they being going into year 2 together instead of feeling things out yet again.
I'd imagine as a new HC he wanted familiar people around him (and who were familair with each other). As each person grows into their role that need becomes less and less.

Likewise, Flores could hire Rosie O'Donnell to be the defensive coordinator and some of you would still be waving your Dolphins pom poms.
Before we start dismissing options can we at least see what she can do? Could the the real shot-in-the-arm we need to push us to the next level.

Back
Top Bottom