Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL Ranked Last in 2014

No, guys, I'm sure if you look at the percentage of dropbacks that resulted in pressures, Miami isn't that b

B64PFFRCQAATq9g-1.png

that chart by itself tells us very little. for all we know he could have been sitting back there for 5-6 seconds.

Marino made those OLs look much better than they were. it's not fair to compare Ryan in any way to a top 5 all time QB though.

BS.....Marino had quality pass protect most of his career....did his release help?....of course...but he definitely always enjoyed better pass protect than Tannehill has thus far.

that chart by itself tells us very little. for all we know he could have been sitting back there for 5-6 seconds.

It's pretty easy to look up the numbers for time to throw, time to sack, and time to hurry. I suggest you do so. They're about what you'd expect from an offense that relied on 3 and 5 step drops in a short passing game. I don't have any more time to waste this morning in educating blind Jets homers on a Dolphins message board.

BS.....Marino had quality pass protect most of his career....did his release help?....of course...but he definitely always enjoyed better pass protect than Tannehill has thus far.

Not saying he had awful OLs but he made those OLs look much better not only w/ that lightning quick release but w/ incredible footwork.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

It's pretty easy to look up the numbers for time to throw, time to sack, and time to hurry. I suggest you do so. They're about what you'd expect from an offense that relied on 3 and 5 step drops in a short passing game. I don't have any more time to waste this morning in educating blind Jets homers on a Dolphins message board.

that chart really educated me! worst OL ever!

it could be pointed out that Tannehill also made his oline look better than they really are, by throwing over 4k yards, in spite of the OL poor stats.

According to PFF they are already the worst in the league so if Tannehill is making them better I'd hate to see what they would be with Henne in there. Its really hard to believe a line with 3 first rounders, a guy that was playing to all-pro level for half the season and a good looking first rounder all being taught by a good o-line coach is the worst line in the league, and you throw in being aided by the QB play on top of it? I call horse****...

Marino made those linemen good with his quick release and ability to avoid sacks via the side step. Most of them couldn't run block for **** so that tells you something about them.
Yet, Marino made them what he needed them to be, on the protection side. Scheme had a lot to do with that as well. We rarely play a Pro - style set now. It makes a difference where protection is concerned.

My point is that we cannot afford to depend on great QB play every week to make our offense work as it should. We need to balance things a bit by investing in a dependable line, as well as great impact players.

We may not need great starters across the line, but they need to be good, along with decent depth as insurance. We did not have anything approaching that this past season, nor in 2013. If we don't get this done, I don't think we'll make the playoffs very often, much less go deep into them.

that's where watching the games comes in...
As a fan who watched every game he played, I can tell you he often did sit back there for 5-6 seconds or more.

Edit: OOPS, sorry. Thought you were referring to Marino.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember someone placing a lot of blame on the terrible Jets OL in '12 for the QBs terrible performance and team's 6-10 record (as well as no name receivers who were frequently open while the QB did his happy dance with his feet and proceeded to throw into double or triple coverage). If someone's gonna impugn the Fins abysmal '13 and '14 OL performance as being rated too low, then how about the jets OL ratings,, specifically PFF's #3 and Football Outsiders #16? Surely they should be higher also, further indicting that QB for his bottom-feeding performances, eh?

sure but we aren't watching every NFL game so how can we compare?
what does any other nfl game have to do with that chart? it showed Miami dead last in pressures per attempt. you said it doesn't show anything because tannehill could have been back there for 5-6 seconds. You only have to watch the dolphins, to see that it's probably closer to 2-3 seconds. what other teams do is irrelevant, unless they all somehow had an average of less than 2-3 seconds.

I remember someone placing a lot of blame on the terrible Jets OL in '12 for the QBs terrible performance and team's 6-10 record (as well as no name receivers who were frequently open while the QB did his happy dance with his feet and proceeded to throw into double or triple coverage). If someone's gonna impugn the Fins abysmal '13 and '14 OL performance as being rated too low, then how about the jets OL ratings,, specifically PFF's #3 and Football Outsiders #16? Surely they should be higher also, further indicting that QB for his bottom-feeding performances, eh?

you remember incorrectly. The OL was not great but there were a million issues that season which have nothing to do w/ the 2014 Miami Dolphins.

Peyton Manning was sacked 17 times.....Flacco 19 times....Brady 26 times.

Tannehill......46 times.

Does anybody really believe the QB was solely responsible for the huge difference in those totals....or that Tannehill didn't face more pressure and hurries?

Did we not basically go to short passing game to mitigate those numbers?...If we didn't....would it be 60?

Back
Top Bottom