Dolphins OL- Who Shows Up vs Raiders? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL- Who Shows Up vs Raiders?

During the recent interview, Coach McD mention player not projecting the past on to him. I am willing not project last years failures on this year’s coaching staff. I want to see improvement from the OL players we keep on the roster. Especially, the those with under 3 yrs experience. I am not blind that the starting point is not good, but I am going to give the coaching staff an opportunity to prove their mettle.
Seems to me when you have guys who can do some things OK but nothing exceptionally well… THOSE are the times you see all this position switching… something that been a Dolphin trademark for a decade. Bad drafting and FA signings during that period. Even the Armstead signing has an injury caveat. The center position is again an issue. Having a true competent center would solve multiple issues.. but we all know that.

Likely scenario. Found it interesting that Kellen Deisch only had something like 3 snaps last week that were late in the game. Thought he'd get more time. Hopefully that happens this week.
Totally agree. Heard some where he got dinged up but was back at camp so maybe he will get a better look this week.

Every day I'm getting increasingly worked up about the state of our O-Line. I was really happy during FA when we added Armstead and Williams. I was really hoping we'd add a C in the draft but we let that one slide by (although I'm happy with Tindall and EZ). Moving Williams to C is what concerns me most as it's replacing a decent LG with Eich who's never played there and was very questionable based on what we saw last weekend. Williams has also never played C so we have no idea if he's any good there. Reports from camp are not encouraging. Jackson was adequate at RT, which unfortunately is a huge improvement for him. Whether he can be adequate every week is the worry.

My biggest issue is the lack of apparent action being taken to address it. There seems to be a feeling they can be coached up. I think we desperately need to add some veteran talent to this group. Whether thats picking up one of the remaining FAs like Massie, trading for somebody or grabbing someone off waivers when squads are culled down to 53.

There's really no excuse to ignore it. We have plenty of cap space left for this season and it's not like we're overinvested in the unit already. The 2022 cap value of our entire starting O-Line is $16.5m. For some perspective that is the equivalent of 8th place in the NFL for the LT position alone. Orlando Brown is 7th at $16.6m. I just hope to see something happen in the next 2 weeks (either via improved play or roster acquisition) to make me feel more comfortable going into Week 1.
I feel EXACTLY the same way. We are an injury to Armstead (something that has happened every year of his career) to having a WORSE OL than last year. We have no starting center and no back up center and no back up OT. And as you say we have capital to rectify the situation. Doesn't make sense unless there is some sort of power struggle going on behind the scenes. Maybe Ross is forcing them to get something out of the draft resources we have wasted on bad OL picks. Just an idea, I have no way of knowing that, but it just doesn't make sense.

One big problem I see is that the blocking scheme is not easy to pick up quickly so bringing in a guy that gets cut or a FA later will have no chance to get up to speed by week one. Combine that with the caliber of our 1st 4 games and I see us getting off to a very bad start.

BU
Seems to me when you have guys who can do some things OK but nothing exceptionally well… THOSE are the times you see all this position switching… something that been a Dolphin trademark for a decade. Bad drafting and FA signings during that period. Even the Armstead signing has an injury caveat. The center position is again an issue. Having a true competent center would solve multiple issues.. but we all know that.

Trouble is all the available centers who might be an upgrade are old, expensive and/or a union agitator.

No way you can say that. S &C coaches in the NFL, who are the finest in the country cannot without an evaluation. They are the ones who know and decide, not fans.
My vote for worst post of the week. That statement is the equivalent of saying we can't tell that a man with no legs wouldn't be great cyclist.

Last edited:
During the recent interview, Coach McD mention player not projecting the past on to him. I am willing not project last years failures on this year’s coaching staff. I want to see improvement from the OL players we keep on the roster. Especially, the those with under 3 yrs experience. I am not blind that the starting point is not good, but I am going to give the coaching staff an opportunity to prove their mettle.
Totally agree, but the problem is all we really have to go on is what we see in preseason games, and Armstead won't get any playing time. What we saw last week is pretty much exactly what we saw last year, maybe even worse. I've said it before and will again, OL coaches can make some difference but they aren't magicians. Armstead will certainly make a difference but he can't fix all 5 spots, and he can't play all 17 games. So what we saw last week is probably what we can expect moving forward, and that isn't good.

Yea, when the OL can't run block it puts pressure on the QB to constantly be on. Skylar was barely able to last week but you can't win week in and week out one deminsional.

Sounds like a man dying of thirst in the desert rejecting water because it's "the wrong brand" - LOL

Hey, it worked for Samuel Clemmons - LOL

Yea, when the OL can't run block it puts pressure on the QB to constantly be on. Skylar was barely able to last week but you can't win week in and week out one deminsional.
So, Skylar was only good by the "skin of his teeth", as opposed to effective in the face of pressure.
OK, tell me you are not biased - LOL

I’m listening to Sirius Xm channel 819
Bokamper and Rose said no Left tackles tonight or Waddle
anyone know what the injuries to Terron Armstead is

My vote for worst post of the week. That statement is the equivalent of saying we can't tell that a man with no legs wouldn't be great cyclist.

More like a fan watching a pro cyclist and saying he could go faster if he dropped some weight when his coach, trainer and medical staff have taken his body apart under a microscope to know his best weight and it is something they do very well and for a living. :cool:

Last edited:
So, Skylar was only good by the "skin of his teeth", as opposed to effective in the face of pressure.
OK, tell me you are not biased - LOL

No I meant Skylar has been able to be consistently on despite no running game for two games now. Its an unsustainable formula.

Back
Top Bottom