Dolphins Pass Rush Called Most Improved | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Pass Rush Called Most Improved

Love where we are right now. Ascending without question. Still could be a few adds after June 1st cuts. Far from a finished product but closer than we were last year. Good things good things.

Fantastic. Just temper your expectations as most improved is not the same as the best. However I would not surprised by end of the season to have our D be top ten especially with the vise lock we have at CB.

After finishing with the fewest sacks in the NFL in 2019, the Miami Dolphins have made several moves in the off-season to try to improve their pass rush.

Pro Football Focus clearly believes they've succeeded because they've picked the Dolphins as the team with the most improved pass rush.
One more solid veteran on the Dline and a little young depth at LB and we could be a solid D

Last year . Harris, Taco, Moss. This year Ogbah, Lawson, maybe Strowbridge, Weaver.
Better cover corners
Van Noy and others at LB.
Yeah, should be better. A LOT better

This year we’re going to see coverage sacks for days

I agree with that, but don't forget . . . sacks aren't always the goal. A pressure or hit can turn into an incomplete pass, batted ball, INT. enough of those can rattle a QB. Yeah, I'm all in on sacks and would love Miami to be top 5, but if the rush improves enough to raise pressures/hits, I'm just as happy.

Our pass rush should be much improved for reasons other than us getting a "Von Miller". We couldn't stop the run and our secondary was lacking proven talent after Howard was shelved.

We signed multiple DEs that are good against the run and can also rush, same with Van Noy at LB, and strengthened the secondary significantly which should give time for our pass rushers to get there. Analytics says that coverage is better than pass rush and that's clearly the direction that NE has gone and Flores adopted so it will be interesting to see it unfold.

I'm glad they are moving away from the elite one-on-one pass rusher template to a scheme-driven approach like the Pats have, with a varied mix of several different player types getting around 5-8 sacks per year. That's a more sustainable (ie. cheaper) business model in today's NFL.

Build it the way both Flores and Belichick both do: from back to front. Get that great defensive back "shell" established, then mix and match fronts and alignments in the front 6 (or 5). Focus on versatility over that one (or two) great superstar player that costs a fortune and tanks your defense the moment they go down at any point in the season. This way is much cheaper - and DBs don't get injured at as high a rate as defensive linemen and linebackers.

The modern NFL rules favor offense over defense and passing over running. It sucks from the perspective of those of us who grew up with the game in the 70s and miss the old idea of game balance and "Chess on grass". But it is what it is and the best teams will build their rosters that way:
  1. Save money on pass rushers
  2. Draft (and pay top dollar) to man coverage DBs with versatility
  3. Draft defensive front seven with Day 2and 3 picks, sprinkling in with cheaper journeymen DL and LBs
  4. Spend most of your money on the offensive side of the ball in this order: QB, OL, WR, TE, RB

Still don't get why we haven't swung at Clowney.
You really think he's worth what he is looking for?

Even if he is, which I don't see it in this circumstance, personnaly, I think you only make those type of signings if you feel you are, legitimately, 1 or 2 players away from championship contention.

Like already been said, nowhere to go but up. Still, our rush defense should be better which should help the pass rush and with a better pass rush our secondary should be much better as well.
it's almost like all the pieces fit together...

Back
Top Bottom