*** Dolphins @ Patriots POST game thread *** | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Dolphins @ Patriots POST game thread ***

I’m asking myself this question this morning…is Will Fuller going to be a less impactful signing than we’re hoping simply because Tua will rarely have time to look for him downfield?

Quick question.

If Tua has 2 passing Tds rather than a rush and passing TD, how does that change his rating yesterday?

I have a feeling, unlike guys like Brady, Rodgers etc.... Tua will be getting more rushing TDS within the 5 yard line as opposed to passing.

Mind my ignorance, rushing tds don't help his QBR right?

It was the first game, we, like you also want the team to improve each day, each practice, each workout, each snap and we are happy (hopefully) as pigs in mud for the win. But I also want to see more, I want better Oline play giving Tua enough time to go through at least his second read, I want to see better Dline play by not having to rush more than four to bring pressure on opposing QBs since every time we do that we leave our secondary exposed, blitzing shouldn't be the norm. A rookie QB carved up our defense yesterday but we stilled eked out a win which showed grit and determination by the team, but we won't make much noise if we can't clean up the line play for sure......and here comes Buffalo.
I agree 100% with everything you said. My point is we all want the team to execute and play better no doubt. I’m not trying to sound like a smart ass when I say this but every single head coach of every single football team in the world wants to be able to rush the passer with just 4 guys but they’re few teams that can actually accomplish that feat on a daily basis and most of the time those teams go deep into the playoffs. We don’t have that type of dominance up front with our current personnel so we have to compensate with additional blitzers. That’s the whole point of Flo constructing an elite secondary first bc it takes longer to build a dominant defensive front than it does to put 2 elite CBs on the field together.

We played more zone yesterday trying to confuse a rookie in his first start but here’s something that the majority of fans either don’t understand or aren’t willing to admit. Sometimes the other teams guys just play out of their mind and that’s what happened yesterday with Jones. It’s ok to give the other team credit. They have good players too and they’re still NE as long as BB is around. People forget that a ton of preseason projections had the Pats as a minimum playoff team. People are acting like that was Jax we played yesterday and it wasn’t. It was NE in Foxborough in the 1st game with no real tape on a team with a ton of new additions and we played nowhere near our best game. Good teams find ways to win when they don’t play their best and especially on the road in a hostile environment.

We will play much better next week at home against a Buffalo team that was completely shut down at home by Pittsburgh yesterday. I certainly think our defense is on Pittsburgh’s level and I get the transitive property doesn’t apply in football I’m just making a point. Yes I agree both lines of scrimmage have to play better for us to get where we want to go but we have so much room to improve from yesterday. People should be excited about what we’re going to be instead of tripping over yesterday and thinking really? That’s what we are? Yes that’s what we were yesterday but that’s not what we’re going to be next week next month of the month after that.

We now have 9 home games with only 7 road games left and it’s really only 6 road games bc we play Jax in London so that’s more of a neutral site game. Theys 16 other teams in the league that would switch places with us today if they could. Everybody should be absolutely thrilled and excited.

I agree 100% with everything you said. My point is we all want the team to execute and play better no doubt. I’m not trying to sound like a smart *** when I say this but every single head coach of every single football team in the world wants to be able to rush the passer with just 4 guys but they’re few teams that can actually accomplish that feat on a daily basis and most of the time those teams go deep into the playoffs. We don’t have that type of dominance up front with our current personnel so we have to compensate with additional blitzers. That’s the whole point of Flo constructing an elite secondary first bc it takes longer to build a dominant defensive front than it does to put 2 elite CBs on the field together.

We played more zone yesterday trying to confuse a rookie in his first start but here’s something that the majority of fans either don’t understand or aren’t willing to admit. Sometimes the other teams guys just play out of their mind and that’s what happened yesterday with Jones. It’s ok to give the other team credit. They have good players too and they’re still NE as long as BB is around. People forget that a ton of preseason projections had the Pats as a minimum playoff team. People are acting like that was Jax we played yesterday and it wasn’t. It was NE in Foxborough in the 1st game with no real tape on a team with a ton of new additions and we played nowhere near our best game. Good teams find ways to win when they don’t play their best and especially on the road in a hostile environment.

We will play much better next week at home against a Buffalo team that was completely shut down at home by Pittsburgh yesterday. I certainly think our defense is on Pittsburgh’s level and I get the transitive property doesn’t apply in football I’m just making a point. Yes I agree both lines of scrimmage have to play better for us to get where we want to go but we have so much room to improve from yesterday. People should be excited about what we’re going to be instead of tripping over yesterday and thinking really? That’s what we are? Yes that’s what we were yesterday but that’s not what we’re going to be next week next month of the month after that.

We now have 9 home games with only 7 road games left and it’s really only 6 road games bc we play Jax in London so that’s more of a neutral site game. Theys 16 other teams in the league that would switch places with us today if they could. Everybody should be absolutely thrilled and excited.
You make some good points, the part about Flo constructing an elite secondary to compensate for an average Dline is interesting, never thought about that. Good line play will definitely make this team elite IMO, I like you will enjoy the win and keep watch. secondly, we better play better next week, like you said we got buffalo and I don't see them losing 2 in a row.

I am happy we got the win today. We played NE on their field and actually won it with some last minute heroics, which is actually how they usually do it. That said, it was definitely a mixed bag today.

Positives:
Tua had better ball placement and power than last season
Defense continues to produce turnovers
Waddle put up a good performance as did Parker
The scripted plays on the first drive were just beautiful
Team played fairly disciplined in the penalty column
Sanders is still a great kicker

Negatives:
OL is still below par
Play calling was suspect on both sides of the ball
Tua is still feast or famine. He needs to be more consistent and eliminate mistakes.
Defensive line has to improve on getting pressure and stopping the run
Secondary has to play better, especially against a first year rookie
Punter needs to seriously pick it up

FWIW, we seem to start off slow under this coaching staff so there will likely be significant improvement as the season moves along
I thought the secondary was good. Almost all of Jones’ completions were underneath stuff. DBs forced 3 fumbles.

Excellent point, I'm a Clemson fan and of course love Trevor but he didn't look good today. It is what it is, Tua will progress or he won't, I see more things with my eyes that he will get better and of course will have burps along the way. This is what Young dudes do, it's the growth that has to be observed. We're in a good spot as we have a year to evaluate him and that will be enough to see how we want to proceed with him.

7-3 as a starter is solid, we just won a very tough game that many so called experts had us losing...we're good, let's solidify the oline, obtain a identity on offense (important) and get stronger each week. We'll lose some we should win and tke some we shouldn't but the end result will be what counts. Enjoy this one boys, us fans deserve it.
Totally agree. Good post. At the EOD the only stat that matters is the final score. Stats are the way losers justify their agendas and can make any argument they want. Flo said Tua played well and after rewatching the game he did. Totally different player than last year. I care about wins not stats. This isn’t fantasy football this is reality

Heres what many of our fans are thinking and it's incorrect about the Pats. 1. Without Tom Brady the Pats should loose to us. 2. The Patriots team we beat last year is the same team as this year's. False on both points. The Pats have owned our lunch especially in Foxboro without Tom Brady in our games in the past. Last year's roster if Pats represented a gutted team with lots of leftovers. This year's between returning players and spending all that money in free agency is a much better team. The Pats are going to win a lot of games this year and should be considered a playoff contender.
Bill Billicheat exposed our warts which is what he does.
I will take yesterday's win and run like thief to the bank and not look back and be happy. I will do that again if we beat the Bills by the same margin of 1 point this week too.

Tony Dungy brought up a great point about starters and the pre-season. Teams might want to start playing them more since there was a boat load of errors associated with lack of play across the league yesterday.

I know it is a 17 game season but you need start strong.

Quick question.

If Tua has 2 passing Tds rather than a rush and passing TD, how does that change his rating yesterday?

I have a feeling, unlike guys like Brady, Rodgers etc.... Tua will be getting more rushing TDS within the 5 yard line as opposed to passing.

Mind my ignorance, rushing tds don't help his QBR right?
No

I’m asking myself this question this morning…is Will Fuller going to be a less impactful signing than we’re hoping simply because Tua will rarely have time to look for him downfield?

All the talk during the off season was how Flores needed to surround Tua with high YAC receivers and that's what they did. Wilson came back, Fuller and Waddle were added.

The point was to set him up for the short to mid passing game and utilize his accuracy at those points so the WR's could gain more yards after the catch. We didn't see a whole lot of that this week but hopefully soon.

Tony Dungy brought up a great point about starters and the pre-season. Teams might want to start playing them more since there was a boat load of errors associated with lack of play across the league yesterday.

I know it is a 17 game season but you need start strong.
Yesterday we had five rookies get significant snaps, not counting ST. FIVE. Phillips, Holland, Waddle, Eich and Long. That’s huge in their development and we’ll see the fruit of that this year. It also shows we drafted well.

Back
Top Bottom