Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins pegged for three of the worst trades of last decade

dreday

future of the funk
Reaction score
link

It says something about the decade of futility the Dolphins just endured when a compilation of the nine worst NFL trades of the 2000s included three involving Miami.

Of course, this subjective list, compiled by Washington Redskins writer Matthew Brown of Bleacher Report, is anything but the definitive word on the subject. But Brown does make a pretty good argument that the Dolphins came up a loser in each of the three deals.

Actually, the last one listed - the Wes Welker trade to New England for second- and seventh-round picks in 2007 - stands as the worst of the three. Welker has caught 432 passes for 4,536 yards and 22 touchdowns and become Tom Brady’s go-to guy in the four ensuing seasons. Samson Satele, the second-rounder, lasted two seasons before being traded to Oakland, while seventh-rounder Abraham Wright never played a down.

Brown puts the Dolphins’ acquisition of Ricky Williams in 2002 at the No. 2 spot on his list. Acquired for four draft picks including a pair of first-rounders, Williams made the deal look good for awhile, rushing for 1,853 and 1,372 yards his first two seasons. Then the problems began. He failed three drug tests and missed the 2004 season, returned to rush for 743 yards in 12 games in 2005, then failed another drug test in 2006 and retired. He returned to Miami in 2007 and has rushed for nearly 2,500 yards the past three seasons, but at 34 his future is a major question mark.

Brown puts the Dolphins’ acquisition of Ricky Williams in 2002 at the No. 2 spot on his list. Acquired for four draft picks including a pair of first-rounders, Williams made the deal look good for awhile, rushing for 1,853 and 1,372 yards his first two seasons. Then the problems began. He failed three drug tests and missed the 2004 season, returned to rush for 743 yards in 12 games in 2005, then failed another drug test in 2006 and retired. He returned to Miami in 2007 and has rushed for nearly 2,500 yards the past three seasons, but at 34 his future is a major question
mark.

Look at those stats considering the circumstances. Ricky Williams is a ****in' beast!

With Wes Welker -- did we not have cap issues when we made that move? I thought we didn't have the cap room to sign the deal.

There have been others that are glaringly worse... I didn't even read the article, but if you want to talk about bad...

We traded a 2nd round pick for Daunte Culpepper (coming off knee sugery), in lieu of signing Drew Brees (because we were like $1M or $2M off on the money, and because of his shoulder surgery). I think it's BS that it was ever blamed on the shoulder. If you like a guy for (X), you like him for $1M to $2M more, especially instead of sending a 2nd rounder for DC.

It's ridiculous to think about what the cost of Ricky Williams has been for two NFL teams (Saints, Dolphins).

Basically what you have is: (FOUR) 1st round picks, (ONE) 2nd round pick, (TWO) 3rd round picks, a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick combined.

Werent we essentially forced to trade Welker because the Pats were going to offer him a poison pill tender when he was a RFA?

Combine this with the draft misses and it explains a lot of the futility experienced in the last decade

I would have bet my house this one would have included the AJ feeley trade

Werent we essentially forced to trade Welker because the Pats were going to offer him a poison pill tender when he was a RFA?

You can't explain that to people though, they see it on paper as a trade so that is what they write about. And when did a major local newspaper like the Palm Beach Post start referencing Bleacher Report as a basis of their articles . . . . I guess we as fans aren't the only one hoping football comes back . . . these columinsts are getting pretty nervous themselves.

I would have bet my house this one would have included the AJ feeley trade
Same here. I thought that one would be there for sure. The one I didn't think was that bad was the Samson Satele trade, but guess that's why it's on bleacher report.

Wes Welker would have continued to be a good WR, not GREAT had he remained with Miami. He is what he is because of Tom Brady and also for a time having Randy Moss on the other side of him.

The Welker trade doesn't count at all, because he was going to jump ship and we would have gotten only the second rounder if we didn't trade him. I wouldn't do the Ricky trade again, but it wasn't horrible considering the production we've gotten from him over the years. Only the Culpepper trade was truly bad, but since we were trading for a Pro Bowler this is perfect armchair QBing.

The Welker trade doesn't count at all, because he was going to jump ship and we would have gotten only the second rounder if we didn't trade him. I wouldn't do the Ricky trade again, but it wasn't horrible considering the production we've gotten from him over the years. Only the Culpepper trade was truly bad, but since we were trading for a Pro Bowler this is perfect armchair QBing.

In a sense it can still be mentioned because we could have tendered him higher, maybe a first round tender . . . but for people that believe we just traded him outright for a 2nd . . . they don't know what they are talking about. This wouldn't even be mentioned if New England just signed him like they were going to, they worked out a trade with Miami at the last second . . . either way he was a goner as soon as the 2nd round tender was placed on him.

Back
Top Bottom