Dolphins Players Reminded Daily To ‘get Over Yourself’ By New Coach Brian Flores | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Players Reminded Daily To ‘get Over Yourself’ By New Coach Brian Flores

TBH I think Brady got lucky ending with Belichik more than the other way around. And Pats got caught cheating 3-4 times, Im pretty certain there is way more they got away with... Not saying it accounts for 6 SB rings, but some of their stats from year to year are flat out either millions to 1 shots compounded or comparable to someone winning the lotto 5 times in a row...

I think Brady is absolutely a catalyst for the NE success but Belichek’s ability to take away what a team does best on offense is god tier. That system on both sides of the ball to get quality play from pretty much anywhere is just a machine and always keeps their head above water cap wise.

I think it's more Brady than Belichick. Simple reason: It's been a passing league throughout that partnership, and especially since 2004 when the rules and application of them were twisted even more in favor of the passing game.

In earlier decades I might have assigned equal weight to the head coach, if not more in some situations. I certainly have utmost respect for Belichick. As I've mentioned many times, he was a legend long before he became head coach. There was never any question that he would receive multiple opportunities, no matter what happened in Cleveland.

If we're looking at the league as a whole in relation to quarterbacks first, then it is an adjustment to single out the Patriots and claim that in that one particular situation it is actually the head coach first. While I understand the argument, I do not agree with it. With Dolphin fans one reason to prefer Belichick over Brady is the determination to maintain Marino at or near the top of the pedestal. Marino is always overvalued and that same mindset will undervalue Tom Brady.

For whatever reason Dolphin fans like to view Dan Marino under 1984 scope only. That was him. It is like the Secretariat effect of envisioning the Belmont only. Tom Brady missed out on his Belmont moment when the 2007 team -- thank goodness -- failed to go unbeaten. But he has a slew of pedestal moments and seasons, to the point he is now the greatest American sports athlete of all time, IMO. It will be evaluated that way once logic settles, and we are further removed from the Michael Jordan era. The types making that type of list are of my generation. Jordan was the obsession when we were in our 20s and 30s. Not for me, but I saw it among my peers. Once my generation has passed and Jordan was 50 years ago, Tom Brady and his astounding resume in the most popular American sport will properly elevate. Cheating allegations are the distant whispers not the focus.

Besides, the Belichick tendency to tailor offensive game plan based on opponent and situation is a relatively recent phenomena. That was not a staple early in Brady's career. My betting systems actually worked -- for and against the Patriots -- during the first half of Brady's career to date. Only later did I realize I had to place New England in a separate category all by itself. Belichick reached such a comfort/trust level with Brady, and the margin of error that Brady provided, that he realized he could tinker with things and actually boost that margin even further week to week. I have Las Vegas friends who argue that Belichick only shifted to that methodology once he realized that the league had caught up to the weekly cheating strategies...would no longer be content to look away...and consequently a new strategy was needed.

BTW, I don't agree with the Flores to Jimmy Johnson comparisons. Not even close.

Jimmy Johnson always emphasized that his players were not equal. He treated the superstars differently and bragged about that. It was incredibly refreshing candor, and not the robotic hard work hard work blah blah blah tendency that so many coaches think they have to adhere to.

I like Flores but all this devotion to detail and hard work is not what I hoped we were signing up for. We need brilliance atop the franchise. That's what I remember as a kid. You could listen to Joe Thomas speak for 2 minutes and realize he was a huge cut above the norm. Not exactly a coincidence that our Hall of Famers source overwhelmingly from the Joe Thomas era.

Back
Top Bottom