Dolphins Point Differential by QTR vs other NFL teams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Point Differential by QTR vs other NFL teams

Chart would look a bit different without the games Tua missed.

Overall, Dolphins are + 52 with Tua and -41 without him.

Miami is +25 in the 4th quarter with Tua and -35 without him, giving up a whopping 48 points during the 3 games Tua missed.

Story of his career so far...I pointed it out his rookie and 2nd year, and got blasted for it.

He's not clutch...plain and simple. Unlike the guy that got picked right before him.

Yup, a few of us have been saying it.

But typically we were insulted or brushed aside. They were anointing
Herert the next hall of famer but the nerve of some of us who dared to compare Tua to other successful QBS (Brees etc)

It's the fantasy football effect.

Herbert put up the numbers but not when it mattered and didn't win.

Tua didnt put up numbers but was clutch and a winner.

Difference is 3 years in Herbert's the same, but Tua is now producing the numbers

I like Herbert, he's a good QB and will be putting up numbers for years. But I mentioned it his rookie year, that was his ceiling. He came in at his peak. Which is still a top half QB without any progression.

But tuas ceiling was always higher and he still has room to grow.

Herbert is what he is.

Tua is and will only get better

Damn.

I should have consulted him on my power ball numbers.

But for real, I know a lot of said this, but I was an early adopter to the fact Herbert had a lot of numbers in garbage time and consistently never made the big play to win the game.

With Tua evolving, and the high value on the anticipation, he's clearly the more gifted passer.

Herbert is tough and has heart though. I won't take his durability and toughness away from him.

Argue whichever way you want, but IMHO record is certainly a QB stat and Uce is a winner.

If / when we get to the big stage, he will shine.

Time to take a wrecking ball to the cardinals and rebuild lol

How things have changed since Miami and Arizona last played. Cardinals fans were salty that they lost to an “inferior” dolphins team.

I think that analysis is a little harsh. Herbert doesn’t seem to crumble against the rush and I think he’s been an effective QB in the NFL, so far. He also has some physical gifts that can’t be taught.

He’s obviously become a polarizing figure. I don’t think either of the extremes are correct.

It is rare to see, but the Bengals, Dolphins, and Chargers can all be extremely happy with their drafted QBs.

Miami is +25 in the 4th quarter with Tua and -35 without him, giving up a whopping 48 points during the 3 games Tua missed.
MVP stats right there

Yup, a few of us have been saying it.

But typically we were insulted or brushed aside. They were anointing
Herert the next hall of famer but the nerve of some of us who dared to compare Tua to other successful QBS (Brees etc)

It's the fantasy football effect.

Herbert put up the numbers but not when it mattered and didn't win.

Tua didnt put up numbers but was clutch and a winner.

Difference is 3 years in Herbert's the same, but Tua is now producing the numbers

I like Herbert, he's a good QB and will be putting up numbers for years. But I mentioned it his rookie year, that was his ceiling. He came in at his peak. Which is still a top half QB without any progression.

But tuas ceiling was always higher and he still has room to grow.

Herbert is what he is.

Tua is and will only get better
I have Herbert in the 11-16 range for his career average, much like I did Matt Ryan. The two have similar career path trajectories imo, except Herbie would need a 2000 ravens D to get to a Super Bowl. 11-16 is a good qb, but not where some are claiming he is. I laughed when I saw lists that had Herbie top 5. Maybe in fantasy points (though not this year) but definitely not in overall qb play. Like I said, I’m not calling him a bust or even an average qb. I just know he belongs in the cousins, Tannehill echelon on QBs.

I have Herbert in the 11-16 range for his career average, much like I did Matt Ryan. The two have similar career path trajectories imo, except Herbie would need a 2000 ravens D to get to a Super Bowl. 11-16 is a good qb, but not where some are claiming he is. I laughed when I saw lists that had Herbie top 5. Maybe in fantasy points (though not this year) but definitely not in overall qb play. Like I said, I’m not calling him a bust or even an average qb. I just know he belongs in the cousins, Tannehill echelon on QBs.

By the stat, TT is impressive. Thanks to the OP for posting.
Would be interesting to see FH members rank QBs. I expect the the top 5 and bottom 5 would be roughly consistent. Between those I'd expect quite a bit more variation. I'd probably put Herbert 8-13, but what do I know.

I think that analysis is a little harsh. Herbert doesn’t seem to crumble against the rush and I think he’s been an effective QB in the NFL, so far. He also has some physical gifts that can’t be taught.

He’s obviously become a polarizing figure. I don’t think either of the extremes are correct.

It is rare to see, but the Bengals, Dolphins, and Chargers can all be extremely happy with their drafted QBs.
I wouldn’t use the word “crumble” against the rush.

Elite QBs elevate their play in pressure situations. That’s not Herbert.

I posted this a couple of times this week so it feels a bit redundant, but these numbers reflect what I see on the whole:

Herbert in the NFL in the 4th Quarter, when the Chargers are +/- 7 points:

163-257 (63.4%), 1,801 yards, 7.0 AYA, 11 TD, 12 Int, (1 rushing TD), 78.95 QB rating

Tua in the NFL in the 4th Quarter, when the Dolphins are +/- 7 points:

68-90 (75.6%), 796 yards, 8.8 yards, 10 TD, 3, Int, (3 rushing TD), 125.5 QB rating

Yeah I rate him higher personally over guys like Tannehill.

But Ryan is a good example.

I'm not knocking Herbert. He's talented and the Chargers have a good QB for a long time.

It may have taken 3 years, but it's starting to show why Tua and Burrow were rated higher than Herbert.

IMO he is starting to show he was actually the 3rd best QB in that class, maybe 4th with Hurts.

Again though, he's a good QB.

Talent and arm he's clearly a top QB. I would say right around 9-11 mark.

But that's OK, and a good thing. If you have a top 10 QB you're gonna have a chance in this league.

Ill say this, he lost last week, but the guy typically puts on a good show against Mahomes.

If the Chargers utilized Ekeler more, Herbert would look a lot better. Little less stats but he and the team would win more.

Herbert gets you the lead. They need to start letting Ekeler hold the lead so Herbert doesn't always have to be the hero.

But he's no Tua

Sharing as an FYI so you can see how upcoming/remaining opponents have scored by quarter.

Graphs tell the story of each NFL team‘s season without watching all their games.

Punching Houston in the mouth early yields high likelihood for victory. SF, on the other hand, looks like they get stronger as the game progresses.

WOW!!! We seem to be one of the most consistent teams after the 1st in the NFL. I though we were more a 2nd half team, and more so a 4th quarter team.

I really wonder how it looks with only Tua at the Helm...Have a feeling that 3rd and 4th actually get a bit higher.

WOW, that is insane. I mean hard to imagine insane.

That video was interesting. I didn't see him flinching against the rush, but the other parts I agreed with. Herbert was my favorite prospect as a freshman, but he never got better. Him making the same mistakes over and over again was my biggest knock on him. That's one of the biggest tells with prospects. You can sometimes pin some of that on coaching. And that was certainly the excuse I got from Oregon/Herbert fans, but there were things that he should have been seeing just due to experience and that didn't happen. I think that his 4th quarter problem is that teams adjust to his velocity and what he's doing and he can't/doesn't.

I also agreed about his lack of anticipation. I've come to believe that that may be the difference between a good QB and the elite guys. I supported Tannehill and saw him as a guy you could win with and could even put up top 5 numbers. That's actually what happened in Tennessee with Tannehill. But he also lacked that vision and anticipation that prevented me from ever believing he had elite QB potential. I said before that draft that Herbert could follow a similar path. He can clearly put up top 5 numbers, but also just as clearly be that guy who never quite gets you all the way there. And I don't think it's lack of work being put in. I think it's a skill that you either have or don't.

Now I still had Herbert rated as a 1st round pick b/c there was so much potential there, but as a prospect I had him a tier below Burrow and Tua. That just speaks to how much more important the mental side is to QB play in the NFL vs. the physical side. Physically, I had Herbert and Love for that matter above Burrow and Tua, but mentally it wasn't close. Burrow and Tua were the top of the class mentally and it wasn't close.

Nobody bashed Tua in the clip. It was 3 years ago talking about what Herbert is showing today in his play.
I know no one bashed Tua in that clip. It’s just that many on here seem to take pleasure in taking shots at Herbert like some how he rejected the Dolphins organization and by doing so it elevates Tua’s reputation by doing so . Both guys can be good at the same time. I like both QBs. I strongly advocated for Tua over Herbert in the draft and I’m thrilled with the way Tua is playing but I can see that Herbert is better than I thought he would be and that he can be a great player in this league. It’s not some kind of demerit against Tua if Herbert plays well.

I don’t think anyone is bashing Herbie to prop up Tua. I think it’s just the unfair and inaccurate narratives that have been pushed in the two that’s the issue. Tua is who most thought he would be, Herbie is who the draftniks in 2020 thought he would be.
I think Herbert has been better than a lot of people thought he would be. He’s certainly better than I thought he would be.

Back
Top Bottom