Dolphins Preferences Along The Offensive Line Starting To Take Shape | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Preferences Along The Offensive Line Starting To Take Shape

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_9804526.jpg

Brian Flores declared their depth chart open for business ahead of camp — and we’re not starting to see some of the team’s preferences at these positions come to life.

This is most notable along the offensive line — where Tunsil continues to dominate at left tackle and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo’s efforts have centered around the same players with the first team. The Dolphins’ line in recent days breaks down much differently than even what we expected in the month of June:

Left tackle: Laremy Tunsil
Left guard: Rookie Michael Deiter
Center: Daniel Kilgore
Right guard: Rookie Shaq Calhoun
Right Tackle: Jesse Davis

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...ng-the-offensive-line-starting-to-take-shape/

This unit has been so inconsistent for so long, despite efforts by previous regimes to "fix" it.
Here's hoping we'll turn over a new leaf this season and at least show improvement in all areas.
I still blame the previous regimes for our shortcomings in the past. There's just NO way they could have looked so bad sometimes without the reason being squarely on the coaching. Getting "beat" is one thing, but clearly looking sometimes like they didn't KNOW who to block should rest with the staff, unless the players were just really dumb; and I don't think that's the case.

That's the line I envisioned after we signed Calhoun as a UDFA. Although I think we need to upgrade the Center position and we better have someone ready behind Kilgore cause I doubt he lasts the season.

It is a sensible lineup given what we have. I don't have any idea how this could be vastly different from expectations in June. But I don't follow the offseason so maybe there were some strange choices going on.

The left side is plug and play. See what you have in Deiter. Don't overreact in either direction. He figures to be solid but not a star.

The others will be replaced one by one in the next year or so, if not in bunches. Kilgore is the type who will draw unfair praise when effort matters above ability.

Calhoun is a tough guy who will probably become a fan favorite to some extent in the early going. Heck, if Asiata is an obsession then Calhoun is already a step toward Ring of Honor. At least he can play to some extent. Mississippi State has rock solid men in that program. One after another look like they are 28 years old, mean disposition from birth, and weaned on weight machines. Most are from defense. Calhoun has similar frame and attitude as the Bulldog defensive guys. Then eventually you find out he's got lots of limitations. But on a team with Miami Dolphins 2019 projection level you accept guys like this.

Davis should never play a snap at guard. He's one of the better offensive line value finds in the best half dozen years or so. He'll play more narrow than ideal at right tackle and will never be a long term starter, but he's also not Turnstile or Asiata level.

BTW, Asiata was actually a cut below Turnstile level. The Turnstile guys actually made it onto the field. I'm impressed that Asiata recognized his football realities early enough and properly moved on.

I have a feeling that the Calhoun/Deiter reps on 1st unit are more about competition specifically between those two, and about their need to train on a valid backup Center for the injury-prone Daniel Kilgore.

That's how I would view it.

They've really backed themselves into a corner at the Center position. You can't count on Daniel Kilgore to last the whole year, and yet who can play behind him? Kyle Fuller? Tony Adams? You're not going to have Michael Deiter do it because you're trying to get him to compete to be a starter at Guard and it's generally not a great idea to put too much on a rookie's plate.

That's why Chris Reed is getting a bunch of snaps at 2nd string Center. And while he's doing that, it leaves a hole in one of the guard spots, such that they're able to rotate guys like Shaq Calhoun, Michael Deiter, and Will Holden, and see what they've got against 1st stringers.

At some point, if they're confident that Chris Reed has had enough reps at Center to function as the backup to Kilgore, you could see him rotated back over to 1st string guard...and then we'll see whether Michael Deiter or Shaq Calhoun (or Will Holden?) made the most of their opportunities.

I have a feeling that the Calhoun/Deiter reps on 1st unit are more about competition specifically between those two, and about their need to train on a valid backup Center for the injury-prone Daniel Kilgore.

That's how I would view it.

They've really backed themselves into a corner at the Center position. You can't count on Daniel Kilgore to last the whole year, and yet who can play behind him? Kyle Fuller? Tony Adams? You're not going to have Michael Deiter do it because you're trying to get him to compete to be a starter at Guard and it's generally not a great idea to put too much on a rookie's plate.

That's why Chris Reed is getting a bunch of snaps at 2nd string Center. And while he's doing that, it leaves a hole in one of the guard spots, such that they're able to rotate guys like Shaq Calhoun, Michael Deiter, and Will Holden, and see what they've got against 1st stringers.

At some point, if they're confident that Chris Reed has had enough reps at Center to function as the backup to Kilgore, you could see him rotated back over to 1st string guard...and then we'll see whether Michael Deiter or Shaq Calhoun (or Will Holden?) made the most of their opportunities.
This seems like a very fair evaluation of what's going on with reps and guys moving around a bit. One thing I would add since everyone talks about the o-line for NE. I believe Brady helps that O-line a lot by getting rid of that ball so quick and while he does that they keep getting first down 5 or 6 yards at a time. As the defense starts to get tired then NE starts to run right at the defense at which point his O-line is probably fresher going forward while the defense is moving backwards.

usatsi_9804526.jpg

Brian Flores declared their depth chart open for business ahead of camp — and we’re not starting to see some of the team’s preferences at these positions come to life.

This is most notable along the offensive line — where Tunsil continues to dominate at left tackle and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo’s efforts have centered around the same players with the first team. The Dolphins’ line in recent days breaks down much differently than even what we expected in the month of June:

Left tackle: Laremy Tunsil
Left guard: Rookie Michael Deiter
Center: Daniel Kilgore
Right guard: Rookie Shaq Calhoun
Right Tackle: Jesse Davis

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...ng-the-offensive-line-starting-to-take-shape/
With the exception of RG, where I had Reed penciled in--and I still believe Calhoun will not be a starter because his run blocking is not up to par--this is the exact line I called post-draft. I expect us to get a lot of those 4 (RG is still an open competition IMHO) to get a lot of time together from here on out.

Tunsil is our best T, he's locked in. Deiter is our best G, he's also locked in, which gives us a left side to build upon with consistency (Deiter is an ironman) while we figure out the other three positions long-term. My belief is that whomever becomes our QB of the future, they'll step into an OL with a solid blind side and consistent ability to open lanes in the running game--a young QB's best friend. With a ton of draft picks in 2020, we're poised to find 2 more OL in the 2020 draft.

Back
Top Bottom