Dolphin's priorities via Armando | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin's priorities via Armando

Well I for one are much more afraid of our situation at FS than any other.

Y. Bell is due 14 mil. this year, I mean A. Rolle is due 12 and everyone assumes he will get cut, what can you expect from Bell?

And he wont take a pay cut either, he is 31 and coming out of a Probowl season, only reason he signed a three year deal was to allow the FO to spread his signing bonus, cause in reality him, his agent and the FO knew he wouldnt be around for next year.

Despite what everyone thinks it will be Bell and not Wison who will be cut, Wilson will slide to SS, where he will surely do much better, heck maybe even as good as Bell, except he is 3 years younger.

So with Bell gone and Gibril at SS who will start at FS?

You cant count Clemons, if he was any good they would have started him when they noticed Wison was strugling at FS.

The only player who would be an upgrade and could be availabe would be Rolle but he will cost an arm and a leg, while at OLB we have Wake and could resign Taylor, plus Fujita will be a free agent.

Besides this years draft is deep with 3-4 OLBs while outside Berry, Thomas and perhaps Allen I dont see any other FS in this years draft being anywhere near a sure thing at FS.

1. Inside Linebacker
2. Outside Linebacker
3. Nose Tackle
4. Free Safety (Wilson sucks)
5. Wide Receiver (Ginn sucks)
6. Tight End

The posts above clearly indicate the need for an influx of defensive talent. This illustrates exactly why I don't give up a 3rd rounder for Boldin. A. Bryant would be a significant upgrade and the draft and remainder of free agency can focus on the defense.

So here we are.....I've said this all along....the linebacking unit has to be completely re-tooled....due to BOTH lack of bodies...and lack of adequate talent...

Any 3-4 defense lives and dies by its linebackers and nose tackle...there's no way around it....and Miami needs a whole lot of both...

Linebacker has to be addressed early and often...

Porter is gone...*poof*....up in smoke...

Twinkletoes is either resigned or he isn't....either way Miami MUST address the OLB position...

If he isn't resigned, Miami must immediately acquire at least ONE just to field a defense....

The ILB position is equivalent to having the steel belts showing in two of your tires....Yeah they might get you to the nearest service station...or they may not....it's not a question of whether or not you're going to replace them...it's just a matter of how much money you're going to spend doing it...and whether you want to invest in brand new shiney tires, or upgrade to something used and much, much safer and better....or one of each...

Tight ends are killing these guys...they couldn't cover a biscuit with a paper plate...

Stop depending on Ferguson, Bill....let that man retire....the best he can do at this point is give you half a season....Solia is inconsistent and a backup....go ahead and get yourself a big 'ol young stud here to build the defense around....

Acquire a playmaking ballhawk type free safety to replace that absurd blunder you gave all that money too last year....a guy with some ball skills and range...coverage ability and COD skills....you know...a free safety, Bill? Huh? At the very least Miami has bodies here in Clemens and Culver....but I think it help tremendously to get a playmaker here...

If you just want to count "bodies"....Miami could field a defense...but it's going to be the caliber of the one that you watched get ripped to shreds by an interim head coach, an Ivy League backup quarterback, and a bunch of replacement offensive lineman in Buffalo week 12...

At least 4 high picks have to be dedicated to the defense...particulary the linebackers and NT in my opinion...then they can start going with the BPA at positions like TE, FS, OG, etc...

Which is exactly what I have been saying. There are lots of areas that need upgrading on the defense, but the only position that is "must have" is OLB. Without grabbing at least one of those guys, we can't even step on the field. All we have there are Wake, Anderson, Moses and Walden. You don't field a defense with just those guys.

Which is exactly what I have been saying. There are lots of areas that need upgrading on the defense, but the only position that is "must have" is OLB. Without grabbing at least one of those guys, we can't even step on the field. All we have there are Wake, Anderson, Moses and Walden. You don't field a defense with just those guys.

Anything on if Merling is Def moving to SOLB?

And again all we have at ILB is Crowder, Ayodele and Torbor. One could argue that in the limited time he recieved Wake at least looked like a playmaker but NONE of our ILB's have shown that in 2 years. Also unless they feel Clemens or Culver are the answer at FS then that position becomes just as important as any other. With the amount of Glaring holes that this team has the last thing I want to see them do is reach for a player in this draft because of a "need". Miami should be taking the best player available with their first round pick at the following positions... WR, NT, ILB, OLB, FS. Wr may be last on that list but if Dez Bryant is there and he's the BPA then Take Him!!!

We definately have big needs on defense, and linebackers especially. I am comforted however on our Nolan pick-up. I wonder how much of an improvement our guys will have just by having this guy on board? Perhaps some needs aren't as big as we might imagine once we have a solid leader choosing the right plays. I for one am waiting to be impressed and surprised by some of the talent we already have next season. I do, however, agree with many on here that ILB and OLB need to have better talent in the ranks.

And there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to upgrade the talent level on defense exponentially via free agency and the draft....there's just no good reason...

All they have to do is stop outsmarting themselves and go ahead and spend the money....get a Dansby...get a DeMeco Ryans if you can....or Vince Wilfork...or a Casey Hampton...or an Antrel Rolle...

Draft an Everson Griffen...or a Brandon Graham...or a Rolando McClain......it's football....go get some good FOOTBALL players...

CK is right, ILB is not a need or even a must have. OLB we have 4 players. 1 who did well in his limited playing time(Wake) and 3 others who are wild cards. We NEED OLB. We dont NEED ILB.

I think NT, WR and ILB/TE follow. I might be the only one on this forums, but I think Clemons will fill in nicely for Wilson. For people saying he didn't replace Wilson at FS, well you don't start 3 rookies in the secondary against the toughest schedule in the NFL. You just don't do it. 2 starting CBs is asking for trouble, but 2 CBs and a FS will result in something you would rather not see.

There's a TRADE DOWN thread on the Draft Forum. Someone proposed that we'd trade with the Texans and pick up there 2nd in the process. I think it's unlikely, but if we did, we could be in line for a scenario like this:

E. Griffen
J. Hughes
T. Cody/C. Thomas

with our top 3 picks.

I would only trade down if you have a firm belief that the guy you like at #12 will be there 10 spots later or so.

And even then I would be skeptical because I want to know who is available at #12 that is so talented that another team really wants to trade with you.

Personally, in a cap-less year I would be looking to send draft picks for experienced veterans that still have a lot of years left in them. I hear there are a lot of significant players on the trade block right now, but GMs won't say which ones to the press, obviously. I would explore that route.

It's not so much taxing the future when you can leverage a cap-less year in order to make some of those future years much more doable.

I would only trade down if you have a firm belief that the guy you like at #12 will be there 10 spots later or so.

And even then I would be skeptical because I want to know who is available at #12 that is so talented that another team really wants to trade with you.

Personally, in a cap-less year I would be looking to send draft picks for experienced veterans that still have a lot of years left in them. I hear there are a lot of significant players on the trade block right now, but GMs won't say which ones to the press, obviously. I would explore that route.

It's not so much taxing the future when you can leverage a cap-less year in order to make some of those future years much more doable.

I agree. Most mocks I'm seeing have Griffen falling to the early 2nd. I kind of doubt it'll happen. But, this scenario obviously involves that line of thinking. I think Griffen is likely our best option at the 12 spot. If we can get him and pick up and extra 2nd, that'd be boss.

They're probably not building in the Combine and Pro Day workouts that Griffen will have, which will be very impressive.

it truly is a brave new world. I've read that without the minimum salary requirement, many owners will just cut costs. it looks like there will be some huge surprises with players moving you never thought about. a team can really set itself up for a long time with the right moves this offseason.

Back
Top Bottom