Dolphins Propose Rule Change | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Propose Rule Change

4th and 15??? Marino would have never lost that one!

Seriously that's the type of crap a dying league pulls out of its ask

to add some jazz to the game. IMO a very bad idea for the NFL

to get all hokey stupid rodeo nonsense...

What's next? Soft balls and spy cams?

GeeeZ!

:woot

I like that in concept but it feels a little flag football to me. Doesn't seem like a rule that should be in a professional sport
I know what you mean, but otoh the ability to convert would be about football skills instead of relying on a bounce of a ball which looks more like pure luck than football strategy imo. I just checked and 4th and 15 has converted 23% during the last 10 years while onside kicks were converting at 21% before the rule change and dropped to around 6% since.

I like it... Also like the 4th and 15 instead of the onside kick, although I suspect 4th and 15 converts at a decent clip better than onside kicks...
I am ambivalent. I could live with it, but I like the aspect of teams being able to ground and pound, at the end of a close game. I know it isn't electrifying, but I have a great appreciation for a team that can line up, beat the opponent down, and puts foot to throat. It, literally breaks their will.

I changed my mind. I'm not ambivalent. I don't like it.

I do like the Dolphins proposal though. Seems like a common sense change. I think it is slightly favorable to the defense.

With time constraint being the objective to over come. I would rather have the onside kick. To me I would throw that 2% out and go for the first and 10 at the 50+ yard line versus fourth and 15 at my own 25. Doesn’t make any sense at all.

I like it... Also like the 4th and 15 instead of the onside kick, although I suspect 4th and 15 converts at a decent clip better than onside kicks...
It would also move us closer to eliminating the kickoff which eventually will happen because of the safety issue

I guess I am just an old timer. Because I liked the rules the way they were 30 plus years ago and I am sick and tired of the constant rule changes. The way things are headed, the NFL will be playing flag football in the future instead of tackle football.

I am ambivalent. I could live with it, but I like the aspect of teams being able to ground and pound, at the end of a close game. I know it isn't electrifying, but I have a great appreciation for a team that can line up, beat the opponent down, and puts foot to throat. It, literally breaks their will.

I changed my mind. I'm not ambivalent. I don't like it.

I do like the Dolphins proposal though. Seems like a common sense change. I think it is slightly favorable to the defense.
Im not disagreeing but I dont get what one has to do with the other? What I mean by that is they're just looking to replace a low % play that's luck driven by an other that is more football skill related. At least thats how I understand it. Given your preference for the ground and pound, how would you feel with teams being given the option to get a 4th and say 10 with no passing allowed or 4th and 15 with no restriction. This would then allow teams to go with their strenght...

I said 4th and 10 with no foward passing allowed but read that as 4th and X that pretty much results in the same convertion % if that makes any sense...

Im not disagreeing but I dont get what one has to do with the other? What I mean by that is they're just looking to replace a low % play that's luck driven by an other that is more football skill related. At least thats how I understand it. Given your preference for the ground and pound, how would you feel with teams being given the option to get a 4th and say 10 with no passing allowed or 4th and 15 with no restriction. This would then allow teams to go with their strenght...

I said 4th and 10 with no foward passing allowed but read that as 4th and X that pretty much results in the same convertion % if that makes any sense...
I'm probably a little different than a lot of fans. I enjoy watching an elite defense at work just as much as a well tuned offense. I believe there is a great deal of skill on the defemsive side of the ball, so I can't make the leap to showcasing more skilled players. I know the NFL can though. They are all about excitement, and moving the game along quickly. Not too quickly, though. The more breaks in action, the more commercial sales for the networks.

I'm probably a little different than a lot of fans. I enjoy watching an elite defense at work just as much as a well tuned offense. I believe there is a great deal of skill on the defemsive side of the ball, so I can't make the leap to showcasing more skilled players. I know the NFL can though. They are all about excitement, and moving the game along quickly. Not too quickly, though. The more breaks in action, the more commercial sales for the networks.
I get you, I mean I know Im always in here pounding for the passing game but as a teenager I'd always build gound and pound/defense teams on Madden and my all time favorite player is Ricky Williams. So I know where you're coming from. I just think onside kicks are very far from reflecting team strenght in any way, a bit like coin flips were a stupid way to determine who got the ball first when the first score won the game. *in OT

Sure I dont want drastic changes but I like it when they try to remove luck from the equation alittle by little.

Back
Top Bottom