Dolphins Propose Rule Change | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Propose Rule Change

I like it... Also like the 4th and 15 instead of the onside kick, although I suspect 4th and 15 converts at a decent clip better than onside kicks...
Plus with all the ticky-tack defensive holding and pass interference calls, it probably isn't as daunting as many people think. I wonder if the referees would be a little more hesitant, in this situation, to throw the flag?

Plus with all the ticky-tack defensive holding and pass interference calls, it probably isn't as daunting as many people think. I wonder if the referees would be a little more hesitant, in this situation, to throw the flag?
I know for sure they wont do it but I would make defensive holding calls NOT automatic 1st downs(or make PI and holding spot fouls), you just replay down at 4th and 10(or penalty spot which ever is better for the offense) instead and so forth...

I'd also like to know if TDs would count in that situation? Because they sure do on onside kicks.

I like that in concept but it feels a little flag football to me. Doesn't seem like a rule that should be in a professional sport

I'm conflicted. Sounds like the rule favors the top O while making it tougher for the poor O. In a tight game late in the 4th, that seems like stacking the deck

I still want a pirate rule... if you beat a team you get to steal one player off their roster. Tell me that wouldn't be fun. Of course that means Miami might lose Tua in the first week of the season to the Patriots. There would be riots and I would hang just for being the one would brought up the idea in the first place.

I know for sure they wont do it but I would make defensive holding calls NOT automatic 1st downs(or make PI and holding spot fouls), you just replay down at 4th and 10(or penalty spot which ever is better for the offense) instead and so forth...

I'd also like to know if TDs would count in that situation? Because they sure do on onside kicks.
I think if the team converts, they will maintain possession of the ball where ever the play is ruled down and I'm sure touchdowns would count. I wish the NFL would change the pass interference rule anyway. I hate that it is a spot foul. That is so antiquated. The spot foul made sense back in the 70's when teams threw the ball maybe 20 times a game at most and scoring was hard to come by, but in this era of throwing the ball all over the yard and liberal offensive rules, the spot foul is way too punitive. Pass interference should be a 10 or 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down like it is in college football.

I think if the team converts, they will maintain possession of the ball where ever the play is ruled down and I'm sure touchdowns would count. I wish the NFL would change the pass interference rule anyway. I hate that it is a spot foul. That is so antiquated. The spot foul made sense back in the 70's when teams threw the ball maybe 20 times a game at most and scoring was hard to come by, but in this era of throwing the ball all over the yard and liberal offensive rules, the spot foul is way too punitive. Pass interference should be a 10 or 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down like it is in college football.
I like the rule in college, but not so much in the NFL.

A defender that is not in good position would just interfere and take a lesser loss.

I would rather see more no calls on questionable situations. Many times, the receiver is being just as physical as the DB. Also a few more offensive PI calls would stop a lot of the pushoffs and picks/rubs, that put the defense a a distinct disadvantage, also interrupting the flow of thet game.

why wouldnt TDs count?

I know what you mean, but otoh the ability to convert would be about football skills instead of relying on a bounce of a ball which looks more like pure luck than football strategy imo. I just checked and 4th and 15 has converted 23% during the last 10 years while onside kicks were converting at 21% before the rule change and dropped to around 6% since.
I agree. I think it also adds some more excitement to the game.

I like the onside kick proposal. That does favor teams with great offenses, but I think it takes away those injury concerns.

The NFL also needs to come up with something for kickoffs. That used to be such an exciting play and is mostly ho hum now. I realize that safety is the primary issue, but too many rule changes are taking away from the excitement of the game IMO.

I like the rule in college, but not so much in the NFL.

A defender that is not in good position would just interfere and take a lesser loss.

I would rather see more no calls on questionable situations. Many times, the receiver is being just as physical as the DB. Also a few more offensive PI calls would stop a lot of the pushoffs and picks/rubs, that put the defense a a distinct disadvantage, also interrupting the flow of thet game.
No way should there be a spot foul in the NFL. It's ridiculous that there should be a penalty that punitive. I hear your argument against changing the rule all the time, that a guy that gets beat will just deliberately grab the receiver, but I say that is bull. Why doesn't it happen all the time in college then? The referees are never going to be competent or consistent enough to get the call right, so they should change the rule for the sake of fairness to the defensive team. A thirty or forty yard pass interference call is almost impossible to recover from. It's so stupid. It reminds me of WWE wrestling or something bogus like that.

I like it... Also like the 4th and 15 instead of the onside kick, although I suspect 4th and 15 converts at a decent clip better than onside kicks...
I see too much potential for this to be abused. A 4th and 15 is easier to convert than an onside kick, even before the kick off rule changes.

It also favors gunslinging offensive teams over teams that rely on shorter passes and their run game. Just doesn't feel balanced.

A team like the Chiefs would greatly benefit from this rule, while a team like the Titans would have their best offensive weapon be almost useless.

It also favors teams that are better at defending the pass over ones that are stronger at defending against the run.

The onside kick was a small part of the game, that was rarely attempted outside of when necessary. I can see the 4th and 15 being a staple of many team's offenses who might use it much more than we are anticipating.

Even if the limit is set a two times per game, I expect we would see way more 4th and 15 attempts than we ever saw with onside kicks.

I don't like how converting an onside kick is nearly impossible today. Teams need to be able to come back from 2 scores down late in games. But I think there has to be a better way to fix the problem.

Last edited:
I see too much potential for this to be abused. A 4th and 15 is easier to convert than an onside kick, even before the kick off rule changes.

It also favors gunslinging offensive teams over teams that rely on shorter passes and their run game. Just doesn't feel balanced.

A team like the Chiefs would greatly benefit from this rule, while a team like the Titans would have their best offensive weapon be almost useless.

It also favors teams that are better at defending the pass over ones that are stronger at defending against the run

The onside kick was a small part of the game, that was rarely attempted outside of when necessary. I can see the 4th and 15 being a staple of many team's offenses who might use it much more than we are anticipating.

Even if the limit is set a two times per game, I expect we would see way more 4th and 15 attempts than we ever saw with onside kicks.

I don't like how converting an onside kick is nearly impossible today. Team's need to be able to come back from 2 scores down late in games. But I think there has to be a better way to fix the problem.

XACTLY. At least a random bounce can be an equalizer.

Rule 15 Section 3 Article 2 must be changed!!

ARTICLE 2. 10-SECOND RUNOFF. When a changed ruling results in a running clock for plays that begin after the two-minute warning, the clock is reset to the time when the play should have ended, and the clock will run for 10 seconds from the reset time. If less than 10 seconds remain in the half or the game, the half or the game is over.
Note: Neither team may decline a 10-second runoff under this Article, but either team can avoid the 10-second runoff by taking a charged team timeout. If the 10-second runoff is avoided, the game clock will be reset to the time when the play should have ended and will start on the snap.

No team should have the half or game end from a 10second runoff for a mistake made by the officials. There should be an untimed down

4th and 15??? Marino would have never lost that one!

Seriously that's the type of crap a dying league pulls out of its ask

to add some jazz to the game. IMO a very bad idea for the NFL

to get all hokey stupid rodeo nonsense...

What's next? Soft balls and spy cams?

GeeeZ!

:woot

I agree. The 4th and 15 rule will never pass. That allows teams to score up to 16 points in very little time. It'll turn into a backyard sport if they did some dumb shat like that

It also favors teams that are better at defending the pass over ones that are stronger at defending against the run.
Good passing teams and teams that are good at defending the pass are the teams with the better W/L record, in other words, they are the stronger teams in the current rules. Stronger teams should have the advantage, I see literally no logical argument for having bad teams benefiting from pure luck in game... Bad teams are already benefiting from draft order to get a head start when building their teams, just dont nerf the in game play to make it more exciting. I mean whats next? Lets spot 7 points to to a losing team when they play a .750 winning % team?

Back
Top Bottom