Dolphins Purge May Not Be Over | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Purge May Not Be Over

if he stays i very much doubt he will see significant playing time, after they way he played last season. so if you can trade him and in some fashion minimize the capt hit by all means

This is not directed at anyone here, more Armando than anyone, but WHY do people keep missing the point about these salary issues?

Seriously. It's frustrating.

Being forced to keep Reshad Jones has nothing to do with "dead money". It doesn't. Period. Exclamation point.

It has everything to do with the fact Miami would be forced to issue about $11 million worth of game checks to Reshad Jones in 2019, cash money coming out of Steven Ross's accounts and going into Reshad Jones's accounts, while he's playing for ANOTHER team.

Dead money is about what has ALREADY been paid, but not yet officially "expensed".

This is about guaranteed salary, which is money that HAS NOT been paid, but will come due in the future. Miami doesn't want to pay the guy to NOT play football for them...unless they're getting a draft pick in return.

If they can find a trade, I suspect they will execute it. Keep an eye on Jacksonville.

If the money is guaranteed - money is already technically outside of his account! :-)

Already in a trust!

Jones is basically untouchable right now with that contract

So was Tannehill. It all depends on how much more they are willing to chop off in terms of big contracts vs. available replacements that are as good or better.

So was Tannehill. It all depends on how much more they are willing to chop off in terms of big contracts vs. available replacements that are as good or better.

This is incorrect.

As I and CK have both pointed out, there was no guaranteed money left on Suh or Tannehill. That is why they were able to be purged.

Right now you have a full $13 million dollar base on Reshad that has to STILL get paid, whether he is on the team or not. On top of that in 2020 there is another $2.1 million in salary already guaranteed.

Never mind the $12 million in dead cap from bonuses. If that was the only issue he would of likely . . . no . . . would of been cut already.

Tannehill was very willing to facilitate a trade by taking less money . . . but he had no bargaining chip, he had no guaranteed money as leverage . . . Reshad does.

If Tannehill was guaranteed the $19 million dollar base he had coming in 2019, he would still be a Miami Dolphin, unless Miami ate a good 12 million of it.

This is incorrect.

As I and CK have both pointed out, there was no guaranteed money left on Suh or Tannehill. That is why they were able to be purged.

Right now you have a full $13 million dollar base on Reshad that has to STILL get paid, whether he is on the team or not. On top of that in 2020 there is another $2.1 million in salary already guaranteed.

Never mind the $12 million in dead cap from bonuses. If that was the only issue he would of likely . . . no . . . would of been cut already.

Tannehill was very willing to facilitate a trade by taking less money . . . but he had no bargaining chip, he had no guaranteed money as leverage . . . Reshad does.

If Tannehill was guaranteed the $19 million dollar base he had coming in 2019, he would still be a Miami Dolphin, unless Miami ate a good 12 million of it.
I sit corrected.

This is a rough business, man. How quickly many have forgotten that he was the best player on our team once upon a tale.

Now the moral of this tale unfortunately is that we're basically stuck with a very expensive aging player coming off of injury.

But if he overcomes injuries, Jones can still be a baller. A defense oriented coach like Flories that has specilized in safties before and what we expect is going to be a creative scheme to be implement might bring out the best in Jones.

His talent is irrefutable and if he can get back to the Jones of old, we've got ourselves a hell of an outfield. Cutting Jones this year doesn't make much sense and unless we're willing to pay for another draft pick, which I'm all for, I doubt he can be traded.

It's a terrible contract for what can still be a great safety. I think he'll come back and ball out under a defensive minded coach.

I'm all in on continuing cutting the fat but he's here to stay. Let's hope we get the Jones of old out of the old Jones.

Dead Money? IRRELEVANT

Post June 1st? IRRELEVANT

If you are exploring these lines of analysis with respect to Reshad Jones, you're already off-path.

He's un-cuttable. That is unless you think he has SO LITTLE value that you'd literally rather give his roster spot to a 53rd player who won't dress on Sunday.

However he may well be traded. We'll see. I see healthy skepticism about it due to his contract. Miami could facilitate that though, as they've done twice now.

One of McDonald or Jones will be gone to make room for Minkah. I doubt we are able to trade Reshad though due to the awesome restructure last year.

if cut post June the dead money is still over 17mill
In 2020 thought he can be cut and the dead money would "only" be just over 4mill
in 2021 we'd take another hit of just over 4mill

If we manage the cap correctly from now on then we can afford the 4mill in 2020 & 2021
But like it's been said already, we're stuck with him for now. I could see a trade right before the regular season or even after but we'd still get a hit(which we can afford) but getting a pick would be nice. I hope this FO never gives out a contract this bad again.
Only to our Franchise QB

Miami isn’t worried about dead cap hits period right now. They’ve got like $30+ million of cap room.

But they’re damn well not gonna cut $11 million or new money to a player they’ve cut without draft pick compensation. That’s just dumb.

Dead Money? IRRELEVANT

Post June 1st? IRRELEVANT

If you are exploring these lines of analysis with respect to Reshad Jones, you're already off-path.

He's un-cuttable. That is unless you think he has SO LITTLE value that you'd literally rather give his roster spot to a 53rd player who won't dress on Sunday.

However he may well be traded. We'll see. I see healthy skepticism about it due to his contract. Miami could facilitate that though, as they've done twice now.
Actually they've done it once with Tannehill. They're not paying for any of Quinn's salary unless you're talking about the 1.1mill they paid him for the roster bonus.

Back
Top Bottom