Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Staying Grounded Despite Recent Push | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Staying Grounded Despite Recent Push

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_13177243.jpg

The Miami Dolphins had just wrapped up their 34-27 victory over the Atlanta Falcons — much of the success coming with young quarterback Josh Rosen at the helm of the offense. After gifting the Falcons three points with a foolish throw over the middle that put Atlanta on the three yard line, Rosen and company shifted gears. He found some added magic with WR Preston Williams. And then it was Allen Hurns and Clive Walford catching a few balls.

Rosen’s final drive of the night was cut short by the end of the third quarter — but he came back to the sideline for good with a 13/20 passing night, boosted by 191 passing yards and that ugly interception.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...h-rosen-staying-grounded-despite-recent-push/

He had a solid game. He led a couple touchdown drives and made the difference in the score.

He looked good on some plays, and bad on others, but he's improving, and that's all you can ask from a 22 year old qb.
In the end it comes down to Flores decision. But if Rosen plays like that all preseason then you should roll with him. But I'm not in the building everyday to see what he sees.

The only way this decision looks bad on him is if Rosen comes in for fitzpatrick during the season and shows he can be the guy we have been waiting for. I will start questioning his judgement if he let some 36 year old journeyman trick him or felt he was the safer choice

Rosen showed a lot of moxie on Thursday. He was under constant duress. He showed off his accuracy and his pocket awareness, as well as, his feel for pressure. Those were the things Tannehill would frustrate me with. There is so much untapped potential. Hopefully he grows into the Franchise QB most think he is, giving Miami a bright future.

My perspective is this - at the low end, he didn't look any worse than Fitzpatrick has looked his entire career. The Ewok's entire career is defined by good drives derailed by bone-headed bad plays. The difference is, that's Fitzpatrick's ceiling, while it's Rose's floor.

If one player's floor is on the same level as another player's ceiling, why isn't the one with the higher ceiling getting the reins so we can see just how high his ceiling is?

I think you are spot on with this.... and ultimately I think Rosen has the ceiling to be more consistent over a season.

While Fitzy is exciting he is also terrifying when he's throwing picks!!

My perspective is this - at the low end, he didn't look any worse than Fitzpatrick has looked his entire career. The Ewok's entire career is defined by good drives derailed by bone-headed bad plays. The difference is, that's Fitzpatrick's ceiling, while it's Rose's floor.

If one player's floor is on the same level as another player's ceiling, why isn't the one with the higher ceiling getting the reins so we can see just how high his ceiling is?

Exactly! Thats precisely why Rosen should be starting. I know it was a small sample size, but I saw enough to give this kid the nod and let him start for the preseason. He needs to play with the 1st teams so we can see what he looks like with a better (albeit not good overall) OL and the first team WR's. I just dont see what the benefit is of Fitz starting at all for the remainder of the preseason games. He's been a plug and play QB his entire career. Let Rosen play and if he stinks, plug in Fitz just like the previous 76 teams he has played for.

They're taking it super slow with Rosen. The kids confidence has to come back to the point where he's got his swagger back and he rocking and rolling in our new system. It would be bad to put him out there and have him get shelled.

Let Fitz take his lumps behind an unsettled OL until his interceptions become too much to bear and/or the OL starts to gel at least into mediocrity.

Otherwise, for Rosen, it's "deja vu all over again."

Reactions: BSQ
I think some folks in these here parts would have serious problems with wines
in the cellar that are just not ready to drink but they just can't wait to uncork
the bottle...

All indications are that Rosen is gradually ramping up and that would indicate
the process we've been following is (amazing!) working.

If that's true, and it sure seems to be true, why would we force the issue just to
pander to impatience?

With this team across the board, you better have some patience with the process
or you'll be better off playing a video game.

There isn't going to be any massive dose of instant rectification served by this team
in the near future. It's a step by step process to build the program for 2020 and beyond.

2019 is a (at best) a transitional year. So if you're going to be negative after the team
wins -- I can only imagine the avalanche once we start losing... And we'll probably lose
quite a lot.

If JR continues to do what I saw from him last week I am going to be thrilled. I didn't think for a second we were going to replace RT with JR in last years draft but I posted on FH a few times that he was the only QB I would've been ok with doing that with. I am not trying to go full homer here right now, for the last 4 months I've been a little cautiously optimistic. Now? Now I'm pumped.

His footwork, pocket presence, accuracy, vision and quick release were things I had never seen from Ryan Tannehill.

RT absorbed pressure, Rosen felt it and adjusted at a significantly quicker rate. He only took the sacks he had to take and knew when it was time to run forward for a few yards.

Even his INT wasn't that big of a deal, it was a teachable moment more than anything. I doubt he's going to keep missing that LB. Rosen is going to be tough to pick off 15+ yards down field.

For all the love Preston Williams has been getting (and deservedly so), Rosen's passes were dropped into him beautifully. Rosen's shoulder rotates much smoother than RT's. RT never showed that kind of touch. It's not his fault, it's a shoulder fluidity thing.

Long way to go, he's got to show more. But QB's are supposed to make their teammates better. This kid looks like someone who makes his teammates better.

I think some folks in these here parts would have serious problems with wines
in the cellar that are just not ready to drink but they just can't wait to uncork
the bottle...

All indications are that Rosen is gradually ramping up and that would indicate
the process we've been following is (amazing!) working.

If that's true, and it sure seems to be true, why would we force the issue just to
pander to impatience?

With this team across the board, you better have some patience with the process
or you'll be better off playing a video game.

There isn't going to be any massive dose of instant rectification served by this team
in the near future. It's a step by step process to build the program for 2020 and beyond.

2019 is a (at best) a transitional year. So if you're going to be negative after the team
wins -- I can only imagine the avalanche once we start losing... And we'll probably lose
quite a lot.

Agreed. I've never heard a convincing argument why JR HAD TO START game 1. Yeah, longer evaluation, but I doubt that makes much difference to Flo. 16 games? 12 games? Just get him in, let him get comfortable and see how he plays his last 4. Every year new starters emerge and backups take over. And in 6-8-10 games people know what they have.

Agreed. I've never heard a convincing argument why JR HAD TO START game 1. Yeah, longer evaluation, but I doubt that makes much difference to Flo. 16 games? 12 games? Just get him in, let him get comfortable and see how he plays his last 4. Every year new starters emerge and backups take over. And in 6-8-10 games people know what they have.

The argument maybe that if everyone thinks Fitzpatrick is gonna suck ass why can't Rosen beat him out to start? Him not beating him out is your evaluation.

Because of where he was drafted, the Jets were committed to Darnold regardless. However there were questions about him, his USC lineage until he went down with an injury. That gave him time to decompress on the sidelines and when he came back, he was a different QB. Give Rosen some time on the sideline and if he performs in the second half of the season like Darnold did, we know we have our QB and can fill in around him in the 2020 draft.

The argument maybe that if everyone thinks Fitzpatrick is gonna suck *** why can't Rosen beat him out to start? Him not beating him out is your evaluation.

We disagree. It is possible Rosen clearly beats out RF and all these posts are irrelevant. Conversely, there's no NFL regulation equating beating out pick-a-name and the end of evaluation. NFL hx is full of QBs who didn't start (i.e., beat out) game 1, but still had remarkable careers. By your definition, he comes in game 5, leads Miami to a 10-2 season (I'm exaggerating), but that doesn't matter in your world because he didn't start game 1. I fail to see any logic.

Back
Top Bottom