Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Staying Grounded Despite Recent Push | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Staying Grounded Despite Recent Push

We made a great deal and picked up a potential franchise QB for pennies on the dollar. In my view he does NOT need to beat out Fitz and start day one or the whole thing is a failure. Quite the opposite really, he has time to develop slowly and get up the learning curve the right way. He could be a back up for a while and it may just be the best thing for him in the long run. I'm would toss last season at Arizona and give him a mulligan. Let's treat Rosen as if this was his rookie season. I think Flores is bringing him along just the right way. I though Rosen looked great when the lights came on in a real game. Tannehill used to choke every time so clearly Rosen is a massive upgrade from Tannehill.

We disagree. It is possible Rosen clearly beats out RF and all these posts are irrelevant. Conversely, there's no NFL regulation equating beating out pick-a-name and the end of evaluation. NFL hx is full of QBs who didn't start (i.e., beat out) game 1, but still had remarkable careers. By your definition, he comes in game 5, leads Miami to a 10-2 season (I'm exaggerating), but that doesn't matter in your world because he didn't start game 1. I fail to see any logic.

I'm not saying if he doesn't start week one his career is over. I'm saying that it would be the staff's evaluation that fitzpatrick is better than Rosen and that's not good enough for fans (me included in that).

You can give me all the excuses of why Rosen shouldnt start week one like lack of oline or whatever but it would tell me that they think they can win more games with Fitzpatrick. I'm not good with that. I want better than fitzpatrick haha

Man, I guess I am alone on this, but I truly don’t get the JR hype at this point. From the game I saw, Fitz had a much better reaction to pressure than Rosen, which will undoubtedly be the single most critical skill of any QB starting behind this OL. Rosen seems to be fairly average in everything else I saw in PS Game 1. It was only one non-counting game, though, so....

I'm not saying if he doesn't start week one his career is over. I'm saying that it would be the staff's evaluation that fitzpatrick is better than Rosen and that's not good enough for fans (me included in that).

You can give me all the excuses of why Rosen shouldnt start week one like lack of oline or whatever but it would tell me that they think they can win more games with Fitzpatrick. I'm not good with that. I want better than fitzpatrick haha
Everyone wants better than Fitzpatrick, but what makes you think Rosen is that person? I will yield to Flores’ judgement on who is the better QB for now, and so far, Flores says it’s Fitz.

I liked Rosen at UCLA but I'm having serious doubts about his potential as a franchise QB.

more games starting week 1, not necessarily all 16. I agree, we all want better than RF, but I still don't see how JR starting, say, week 2, fails to give the staff time to evaluate. By all accounts he's progressing through camp. When will it progress to the point the staf sees him as the better QB? That's Flo's call.

Everyone wants better than Fitzpatrick, but what makes you think Rosen is that person? I will yield to Flores’ judgement on who is the better QB for now, and so far, Flores says it’s Fitz.

haha I am not arguing whether one is better or not (I think Fitz is probably the better one). I am saying that if Rosen doesnt beat Fitzpatrick out then that is the current evaluation of Rosen. He's not better than Fitzpatrick.

The problem is we don't have a lot of time with Rosen. We only invested a 2nd round pick and a late round pick for him. We will have to decide by the end of this season if he is our future and whether or not we need to invest valuable draft capital to draft another QB. I would hate to miss out on the next Patrick Mahomes. Worst case scenario we draft a QB in the first round and let Rosen and said QB battle it out. We could end up trading the other that loses out.

Rosen is goina have to impress early and often to secure his future here. We have been starving for a face of this franchise and a top level QB to pass on highly touted QBs in 2020 draft.

Rosen needs to start to see what we really have. It's not ideal for him but that's where we are. Unless our front office has already decided they are going to take it slow with Rosen and still plan to draft a top QB in 2020 no matter what. And let them compete next season.

Blake, I don't think Grier and co. have a plan to slow Rosen's development and draft a 2020 no matter what. If Rosen is anything close to a franchise QB we'll certainly know it. If that's the case the smart thing to do is build around him. If he is not a franchise QB we still could keep him as a back up and get Tua or Hebert or whoever in the 2020 draft, then let the rookie QB battle it out with Rosen for the starting position. That could easily happen. It's not what I want to happen. I would love it if Rosen was the answer. He does throw a beautiful looking spiral!

Blake, I don't think Grier and co. have a plan to slow Rosen's development and draft a 2020 no matter what. If Rosen is anything close to a franchise QB we'll certainly know it. If that's the case the smart thing to do is build around him. If he is not a franchise QB we still could keep him as a back up and get Tua or Hebert or whoever in the 2020 draft, then let the rookie QB battle it out with Rosen for the starting position. That could easily happen. It's not what I want to happen. I would love it if Rosen was the answer. He does throw a beautiful looking spiral!

I agree with you but the problem is how will we know if he is a franchise QB or not with a small sample size if he isn't starting? If he only starts 6 or 7 games this season will that be enough to determine if he is our long term answer at QB? That's why he should start ASAP so we have more time to evaluate him. But again, he may not be ready and the O line sucks so it's tricky.

I have ALWAYS posted that I feel, quite strongly, that JR should be, must be, the starter. He's the future so let him endure all growing pains now, a give-away season (get real), instead of later. Then when our team is set, he will be too.

Makes sense right?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. For what we gave up to get Rosen we are not hitching our wagons to him as our guy. Panthers used a 2nd round pick on Jimmy Clausen, he played poorly in his 10 starts on a bad team and the very next year the Panthers drafted Cam Newton with the 1st pick. I'm sure the Panthers have no regrets about that.

Rosen needs to play early and often. And he'll need to play exceptionally well to convince the staff not to draft a QB in 2020 which looks to have some really good QB talent. The odds are definitely stacked against Rosen. But worst case scenario we have a San Diego Charger Philp Rivers/Drew Brees situation.

Last edited:
I really liked the way Fitzpatrick started the game, the intellect and reactionary quickness to cut the defense instantly when protection broke down was a breath of fresh air, haven’t seen that in 7 years.. the pivot move to escape the free rusher, then roll left on the move and throw that deep sideline comeback to the receiver was a great qb play..against some of their starters..

If Rosen shows he's only a 'franchise' QB, but not elite, there will be no R1 QB in '20. Sans Murray, the NFL doesn't work that way. Fans should hope for a very good QB or an implosion.

Back
Top Bottom