Dolphins ranked as owning one of the thinnest rosters in NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins ranked as owning one of the thinnest rosters in NFL

We're in year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding process that sold off all the pieces it could for draft picks and cap space. We've used a hefty part of the cap space and cashed in on half of the draft picks, but we have another big haul of draft picks in 2021. Until those guys are drafted and have a chance to play on the field, it's expected that our roster is going to be thin, young, and not so great. This ranking is neither surprising nor concerning, because it's just a reflection of us being in the middle of this massive tear-down rebuild.

I found the next article even more interesting actually. They referenced PFF's ranking of the 2020 rosters, which they quoted and I'll re-quote here, with links to both articles:
Article quoting PFF
Original PFF article

" Biggest weakness: Miami's offensive line might be improved over last season, but that's not saying much. The unit allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 33% of its 2019 dropbacks, 5 percentage points higher than any other team. The group's run-blocking grade was the worst in the NFL as well. Adding two rookies who look to be projects and two starters on the interior with just one starting season of average play apiece at their position isn't going to completely wipe away those problems. "

I think PFF hit the nail on the head regarding our OL, and I'm hoping our readership's expectations aren't unrealistically high for this OL. Both Jackson (youth, fitness) and Hunt (lower competition, lack of pass pro experience) are projects at this point. Let's not expect them to be plug and play guys, because they're not. If they play well, that's a huge testament to them and the coaching staff, because they are both projects from the vantage point of the 2020 season.

We're in year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding process that sold off all the pieces it could for draft picks and cap space. We've used a hefty part of the cap space and cashed in on half of the draft picks, but we have another big haul of draft picks in 2021. Until those guys are drafted and have a chance to play on the field, it's expected that our roster is going to be thin, young, and not so great. This ranking is neither surprising nor concerning, because it's just a reflection of us being in the middle of this massive tear-down rebuild.

I found the next article even more interesting actually. They referenced PFF's ranking of the 2020 rosters, which they quoted and I'll re-quote here, with links to both articles:
Article quoting PFF
Original PFF article

" Biggest weakness: Miami's offensive line might be improved over last season, but that's not saying much. The unit allowed pressure in 2.5 seconds or less on 33% of its 2019 dropbacks, 5 percentage points higher than any other team. The group's run-blocking grade was the worst in the NFL as well. Adding two rookies who look to be projects and two starters on the interior with just one starting season of average play apiece at their position isn't going to completely wipe away those problems. "

I think PFF hit the nail on the head regarding our OL, and I'm hoping our readership's expectations aren't unrealistically high for this OL. Both Jackson (youth, fitness) and Hunt (lower competition, lack of pass pro experience) are projects at this point. Let's not expect them to be plug and play guys, because they're not. If they play well, that's a huge testament to them and the coaching staff, because they are both projects from the vantage point of the 2020 season.
There was another article I saw this morning, stating most underrated player of each team. They chose Ereck Flowers for Miami. I hope these young drafted players and FA put in the work to be good.

There was another article I saw this morning, stating most underrated player of each team. They chose Ereck Flowers for Miami. I hope these young drafted players and FA put in the work to be good.
I hope so too brother!

I've always liked Ereck Flowers, but he was always asked to do too much at the Giants. He simply isn't an OT. At Washington, he was able to hide a bit behind other solid OL, and just work in a phone booth. That helped him a lot. My fear is that we only have 1 OT, Jesse Davis, so if Jackson and Hunt prove not ready--which is very likely--then we may make the same mistake the Giants made and ask Flowers to play OT ... where he is atrocious. I'm really hoping that no matter how bad our other OT position plays, we keep Flowers at OG. With a healthy Davis, Flowers and Karras, we actually have 3 solid pieces, which is a better place than this OL has been since before Ryan Tannehill. We're not the finished article, and we have one open competition at OG (Deiter, Kindley, Hunt) and one open competition at OT (Jackson, Hunt, late veteran journeyman pickup). At least be good in 3 spots, then the QB knows that at least he has some protection.

I hope so too brother!

I've always liked Ereck Flowers, but he was always asked to do too much at the Giants. He simply isn't an OT. At Washington, he was able to hide a bit behind other solid OL, and just work in a phone booth. That helped him a lot. My fear is that we only have 1 OT, Jesse Davis, so if Jackson and Hunt prove not ready--which is very likely--then we may make the same mistake the Giants made and ask Flowers to play OT ... where he is atrocious. I'm really hoping that no matter how bad our other OT position plays, we keep Flowers at OG. With a healthy Davis, Flowers and Karras, we actually have 3 solid pieces, which is a better place than this OL has been since before Ryan Tannehill. We're not the finished article, and we have one open competition at OG (Deiter, Kindley, Hunt) and one open competition at OT (Jackson, Hunt, late veteran journeyman pickup). At least be good in 3 spots, then the QB knows that at least he has some protection.
I think Jackson will develope into a fine LT, bumpy road this season though, hes got some really good feet. Hunt I think gets kicked inside to G, and I do believe we use another high pick next year on a RT. We shall see though, my opinion can be wrong just like anyone else's. TC and Pre Season cant come soon enough to see what some of these guys have.

I thought the ability to get quality production from end of the roster type players was one of the few things this team had going for it last year. On defense they had Needham, Parker, and Biegel all step up and play better than I ever expected. The track record of the replacements on the offensive end wasn't so great but even there you had Hurns and Ford stepping up.

To me that's depth, whether the player in that position is highly touted or a rookie free agent that noone knows about. That depth is what won Miami games late last year.

What they've been lacking and still do lack is the high end talent. I'm not sure this free agent splurge has fully replaced the departed Fitzpatrick, Tunsil, Jones, and Drake.

I tend to think the roster is sneaky good. I realize there aren't many superstars on the team, but do believe there are serviceable players who will play hard, fit in and make plays. I also, think the Coaching will help raise the bar on the roster. Flores has shown what he's capable of, question is, can he do it again with a better roster, albeit a minimal improved roster.

I think Jackson will develope into a fine LT, bumpy road this season though, hes got some really good feet. Hunt I think gets kicked inside to G, and I do believe we use another high pick next year on a RT. We shall see though, my opinion can be wrong just like anyone else's. TC and Pre Season cant come soon enough to see what some of these guys have.
I agree completely. IMHO, Jackson was a 2021 draft pick that was selected a year early. Had he stayed in school he would have been in that top tier of 2021 OT's. It would have given him a year to recover physically from the bone marrow transplant, and a year more to hone his technique--which at this point is still sloppy. But, he is an elite athlete, good kid, hard worker, and possesses some very good traits. With Austin Jackson, I think it's only a matter of time before he becomes a good OT. Unfortunately, like you, I agree that it is expecting too much for him to develop so fast that he starts in 2020.

We're also of the same mind with Hunt. He's a road grader, and those guys can be very good at OG in the right system. But he doesn't really have the pass pro experience to hone his technique, and his low level of competition meant he never had to because he was physically dominant against everyone he met. I'd say he's going to have a rough rookie season but could round into a good OG by year 2.

This abbreviated pre-season really does both guys a disservice. They need as many reps and teaching sessions as they can get, but will not get enough this year for obvious reasons.

What the Dolphins are thin on is having a core group of elite players.

An argument could be made for X and Jones, but what other Dolphins on the roster have shown on the field they belong in the top 10 at their respective position?

DVP last year perhaps, but was his play last year the new norm or a career year?

Hopefully that changes beginning with Tua.

I agree completely. IMHO, Jackson was a 2021 draft pick that was selected a year early. Had he stayed in school he would have been in that top tier of 2021 OT's. It would have given him a year to recover physically from the bone marrow transplant, and a year more to hone his technique--which at this point is still sloppy. But, he is an elite athlete, good kid, hard worker, and possesses some very good traits. With Austin Jackson, I think it's only a matter of time before he becomes a good OT. Unfortunately, like you, I agree that it is expecting too much for him to develop so fast that he starts in 2020.

We're also of the same mind with Hunt. He's a road grader, and those guys can be very good at OG in the right system. But he doesn't really have the pass pro experience to hone his technique, and his low level of competition meant he never had to because he was physically dominant against everyone he met. I'd say he's going to have a rough rookie season but could round into a good OG by year 2.

This abbreviated pre-season really does both guys a disservice. They need as many reps and teaching sessions as they can get, but will not get enough this year for obvious reasons.
Yes everything I read on Jackson said he would of been a top pick next year if he had stayed in school. Maybe Hunt kicks inside to G for next season, then they try him at T again when he gets some exp. If I recall we did that with James/Tunsil? I remember one of them doing that, maybe both. Flowers tested poorly coming into the NFL, I didnt think he was a top T when he was drafted, and im a big UM fan lol. Jackson I know has put up elite numbers in combine, that doesnt always transition though. I remember Xavien Howard testing poorly.

Eh I don't read into it. Look at a lot of Pats teams over the last 20 years, take away the logo and some of those teams looked like hot garbage on paper. How many players looked like HoFers in NE but went elsewhere and you barely heard their name again? I think Flores can do the same here.

That is the way I see it too.

They should be drafting high enough to get one of the best OT's in the class next year.

And it is hard to evaluate the Fins roster with so many new guys coming in.The group is much stronger than last years(which might have been the worst roster in the league)but they still have a ways to go.

I always thought they would need another good FA period and strong draft to really build a playoff contending roster.

And the way the Fins used this off season to really build the LOS vs flashy skill positions makes me think they feel the same way.

We still have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd in next years draft, along with another offseason with decent cap. 2020 was only the first half of the rebuild. I think 2021 (assuming everything goes to plan) is the year we make some noise

Back
Top Bottom