Dolphins ranked as owning one of the thinnest rosters in NFL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins ranked as owning one of the thinnest rosters in NFL

Miami Dolphins clearly prioritized their needs by position. GM Chris Grier didn't attempt to fix everything this year. The priorities after getting Tua were to strengthen the O-line, D-line and inject more talented fast competitive CBs. Defensively, the Raekwon Davis draft picks means that he is coming here to stuff the run. The addition of Kyle Van Noy, who knows precisely what Coach Flores wants, is huge. I expect him to be our Defensive leader. With McMillan, Baker, Van Ginkel, Elandon Roberts (from the Patriots) and Grugier-Hill (from the Eagles) etc we should be good at LB.
Last season we didn't have much of a running game. The addition of Jordan Howard and Matt Breida should help, but RB and WR can be selectively improved next year in the Draft and free agency. Biggest question for me is how well the O-line comes together. A massive transfusion of talent was needed and Grier devoted a 1st (Jackson), a 2nd (Hunt), and a 4th (Kindley together with the addition of Karras and Flowers in free agency. Let's see how it comes together. If they struggle, then it probably delays Tua's start and I have zero problem with Fitz's vast experience to shoulder the responsibility and take some hits.
I may be in the minority, but I really, really like the structured systematic approach of addressing our problems this year. I remain very optimistic.
I too like what they did in the draft and in free agency this year but I still think it will take another draft and free agency period to get this team to the next level.
I expect Fitzpatrick to be the starter going into the season and assuming the offensive line develops as the season goes along. I think Tua will get some starts at the end of the season if he has shown that his hip is healed completely.

What I would like to see from the team this year is an improvement by the OL throughout the year. The defense come together to stop the run and apply more pressure against the pass. Hopefully Tua can get
4-6 starts and show he can be the QB this team has been looking for since Marino retired.

As long as the young players show improvement as the season progresses and the free agents they signed pan out, I will be happy with the season, no matter how many wins they have. Of course the most important player for this team going forward is Tua and the future of the Dolphins is totally based on his development over the coming years.

We still have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd in next years draft, along with another offseason with decent cap. 2020 was only the first half of the rebuild. I think 2021 (assuming everything goes to plan) is the year we make some noise
I saw a projection yesterday that the Dolphins cap number will be between 13-14 million dollars by the time they sign their remaining draft picks and their practice squad players. There may also be a reduction in the salary cap number for 2021 if attendance or games are impacted by the virus.

Next year will likely be mostly about the draft because I don’t see the Dolphins having the cap space to sign a lot of free agents. If they do sign any free agents, it will likely be free agents who are willing to sign contracts at the lower end of the salary range. Instead of getting starter caliber free agents next year, I can see them signing players who can play on special teams and be solid backup. Hopefully they will get their starters for the future from the many picks they will have in the 2021 draft.

I saw a projection yesterday that the Dolphins cap number will be between 13-14 million dollars by the time they sign their remaining draft picks and their practice squad players. There may also be a reduction in the salary cap number for 2021 if attendance or games are impacted by the virus.

Next year will likely be mostly about the draft because I don’t see the Dolphins having the cap space to sign a lot of free agents. If they do sign any free agents, it will likely be free agents who are willing to sign contracts at the lower end of the salary range. Instead of getting starter caliber free agents next year, I can see them signing players who can play on special teams and be solid backup. Hopefully they will get their starters for the future from the many picks they will have in the 2021 draft.
I don't believe your assessment about next year is accurate.

According to OTC, we actually have over 55 million less "cap obligations" in 2021.

Take a look at the link, and note the disparity between our top 51 costs, and total cost this year. That is entirely due to irresponsibility of previous regimes.

After this season we lose that dead weight.

Last edited:
Did not need a list to tell us this years roster is still thin. Just a friendly reminder of the State of Davie.

I don't believe your assessment about next year is accurate.

According to OTC, we actually have over 55 million less "cap obligations" in 2021.

Take a look at the link, and note the disparity between our top 51 costs, and total cost this year. That is entirely due to irresponsibility of previous regimes.

After this season we lose that dead weight.

I looked at the chart and it shows that the Dolphins have a little over 20 Million in cap room at this time. They still need to sign players to the practice squad and that will reduce that number going into the season.
I was simply stating what I had read the Dolphins cap would likely be heading into the 2020 season.

I wasn’t actually looking at the 2021 cap figure but you are right to point out that a lot of dead money on the books this year will come off the books after this season. So that will obviously leave the Dolphins with a lot more cap space going into the 2021 season.

Thanks for pointing that out because I had completely overlooked all the dead money on the books this season.

As the writer states, Rome wasn't built in a day, still have a ways to go.

Absolutely disagree with this. Though the article could prove to be true, it is still to be seen where Miami's roster actually falls.

The O-line of Miami still needs to prove they have an adequate unit, let alone a good one, and outside Gesicki, Miami really has very little behind him, but if you look at the rest of the units, Miami on paper is not the 7th thinnest.

QB...Two maybe three deep as far as starting talent.

WR....The starting three of Parker-Williams-Wilson are pretty exciting, but add the experience of Hurns, the rediculous speed of Grant, the growth and consistency of Ford.

D-line...Though Miami's D-line is not going to scare anyone, it is a better then solid unit that seem pretty deep this year...Devon Godchaux, Christisn Wilkins, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah...Jonathan Ledbetter coming back...and players like Raekwon Davis, Benito Jones. Jason Strowbridge all competing to get a roster spot.

LB...I think this unit is a timebomb waiting to blow up upon the NFL. With players like Kyle Van Noy, Vince Biegel, Raekwon McMillan, Jerome Baker, Sam Equavoan, Andrew Van Ginkle, Curtis Weaver...This unit has some talent, but more importantly, it's deep in talent.

Secondary...Going by secondary instead of CB and Safety because our coaching is not using the traditional Safeties, but using DB that they believe can handle the position, but considering Miami is in Dime or Nickle defense most of the time, this unit is very important, yet it's talent is good enough and deep enough to be Miami's best unit, so no problem here either.

As I look at this roster, this is really not the same Roster we have had in years past, that at the 1st signs of injuries, we were done. Some of the people I named up there still need to prove themelves, but on paper most of them show they can be solid, which is not a 7th thinnest roster.

I looked at the chart and it shows that the Dolphins have a little over 20 Million in cap room at this time. They still need to sign players to the practice squad and that will reduce that number going into the season.
I was simply stating what I had read the Dolphins cap would likely be heading into the 2020 season.

I wasn’t actually looking at the 2021 cap figure but you are right to point out that a lot of dead money on the books this year will come off the books after this season. So that will obviously leave the Dolphins with a lot more cap space going into the 2021 season.

Thanks for pointing that out because I had completely overlooked all the dead money on the books this season.
My thought was that they have the freedom to bring in top tier FAs next offseason should they need/want.

Of course, there will be guys that are due new contracts as well.

My thought was that they have the freedom to bring in top tier FAs next offseason should they need/want.

Of course, there will be guys that are due new contracts as well.

I think the guys who will in line for possible extensions/raises would be Baker, Godchaux, Karras and Breida.

Depending on well they play of course, but I don't see any of them(with the possible exception of Brieda) earning a huge extension that would really tax the Fins Cap.

My hope is that they retain the guys they want to keep and have the ability to make a FA move or two but nothing crazy.

BTW.......the advantage of having cash to spend NEXT year is that with the likely cash loss the NFL will sustain due to COVID the Cap is probably going to shrink next year.

That may force some teams to cut good players to get under the number, making better players than usual available for teams who can spend.

Sadly, the Patriots look to have a lot of cash next years as well.

BTW.......the advantage of having cash to spend NEXT year is that with the likely cash loss the NFL will sustain due to COVID the Cap is probably going to shrink next year.

That may force some teams to cut good players to get under the number, making better players than usual available for teams who can spend.

Sadly, the Patriots look to have a lot of cash next years as well.
I think that is up for debate brother. The NFL started the new tv deal talks before the virus hit. The talk was they were really going to cash in as there were several networks that wanted a bigger piece of the NFL pie. Also the word on the business street is AT&T is under a lot of pressure to unload the Sunday Ticket. I don't think it will be as much a reduction as it is being pumped up to be.

I think that is up for debate brother. The NFL started the new tv deal talks before the virus hit. The talk was they were really going to cash in as there were several networks that wanted a bigger piece of the NFL pie. Also the word on the business street is AT&T is under a lot of pressure to unload the Sunday Ticket. I don't think it will be as much a reduction as it is being pumped up to be.
I would also add that the player's union might have something to say about lowering the cap.

I think we are pretty deep on dline, wr, qb, rb isnt bad

As the writer states, Rome wasn't built in a day, still have a ways to go.
I can’t see how this is a surprise. 3/4 of are defense are starters. Potentially 1/2 our offense are starters. Look what we did with 3rd stringers and nobodys at most positions for all of last year. I would say we did exactly what i didn’t think would happen, win. This offseason was the proving ground. This next offseason will prove or disprove our dynasty. A lot of our back ups will get a season of experience behind them as starters. So far, I am 100% in.

We have 10 picks in next years draft. 4 in the first 2 rounds. Plus the 7th most capspace.

But how are we ever going to get depth?

Every team has thin spots in their depth, especially when the injury bug bites.
The Fins are loaded with talent and the front office has been overachieving.
I would not bet against the Fins this year

Back
Top Bottom