Dolphins ranked as owning one of the thinnest rosters in NFL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins ranked as owning one of the thinnest rosters in NFL

I don’t know if we have a thin roster per se but we do have a lot of unknowns. We’re banking on Jackson, Hunt, Igbo to play like starting quality players. Then we have the young FA signings like Ogbah, Lawson, Flowers who have had up and down starts to the career and we’re banking on them improving and taking the next step. We also have the pleasant surprises from last season Preston Williams and Nik Needham who can hopefully continue to be starting caliber players and show better consistency.

Im very hopeful and really like what we did this offseason but it easily could go either way. Next off-season should be great that’s when hopefully we add the depth/luxury picks to build a real quality team

Yes everything I read on Jackson said he would of been a top pick next year if he had stayed in school. Maybe Hunt kicks inside to G for next season, then they try him at T again when he gets some exp. If I recall we did that with James/Tunsil? I remember one of them doing that, maybe both. Flowers tested poorly coming into the NFL, I didnt think he was a top T when he was drafted, and im a big UM fan lol. Jackson I know has put up elite numbers in combine, that doesnt always transition though. I remember Xavien Howard testing poorly.
Flowers was a higher rated prospect coming in than Hunt by a wide margin. But yeah, he always looked to me like a RT only or possibly a G. I was mildly surprised at just how poorly he did at OT though. Hunt on the other hand ... is nowhere near that level. While Hunt has the wingspan and athleticism ... he is very raw. The proper comparison to Hunt would be our previous small school, all world athlete, backup OL drafted in the 3rd round, Turner. He never made the transition. He's still kicking somewhere in the NFL, but never really lived up to his potential because the technique and experience gap were too much for him.

Jackson, he looks like a thoroughbred OT. But, his age, the operation, being out of condition, and his less years experience will all work against him in 2020. I see him being put at RT (Tua's blindside) and groomed, but not winning the spot outright until 2021 when he has a proper offseason and preseason to hone his skills in his newly buff NFL body. It's just too much to ask of him to overcome all that in one offseason without proper coaching day-in-day-out. I'm very happy both of them are working with the same trainer getting unofficial reps and coaching outside of the Dolphins organization. Those guys really need the reps.

Flowers was a higher rated prospect coming in than Hunt by a wide margin. But yeah, he always looked to me like a RT only or possibly a G. I was mildly surprised at just how poorly he did at OT though. Hunt on the other hand ... is nowhere near that level. While Hunt has the wingspan and athleticism ... he is very raw. The proper comparison to Hunt would be our previous small school, all world athlete, backup OL drafted in the 3rd round, Turner. He never made the transition. He's still kicking somewhere in the NFL, but never really lived up to his potential because the technique and experience gap were too much for him.

Jackson, he looks like a thoroughbred OT. But, his age, the operation, being out of condition, and his less years experience will all work against him in 2020. I see him being put at RT (Tua's blindside) and groomed, but not winning the spot outright until 2021 when he has a proper offseason and preseason to hone his skills in his newly buff NFL body. It's just too much to ask of him to overcome all that in one offseason without proper coaching day-in-day-out. I'm very happy both of them are working with the same trainer getting unofficial reps and coaching outside of the Dolphins organization. Those guys really need the reps.
Billy Turner is a starting G for Green Bay now. He got a decent contract there, but I have not watched his play aside from one game.

Pretty safe assumption to make at this point ( owning one of the thinnest rosters in the NFL ) the percentage of change of the starting roster is has to be the highest in the NFL and the Dolphins have laid big bets with free agents and draft picks, that's what has to happen when your in a total rebuild and it doesn't make it true or untrue at this point were an unknown at this point and where our roster is really at will be played out in 2020 and we will assess and go from there.

Dolphins offensive line is going from 300 pounders to 330+pounders drafting guys who are better run blockers more than likely wanting to pound some defenses in the hot Florida sun, it will be interesting to see if it works.....the ball coming out of Fitzpatrick's hands at the end of the year was extremely fast and the passing game was at a high level a big plus when working in a new offensive line. I'd match our outside receivers Parker and Williams with some of the best in the league

Defense is a bit of an unknown at this point but it does look like Flores has what he needs to start to manufacture pressure like he did the year he ran the New England defense and that was special, couple that with the nickle defense scheme and the the very nice additions at CB our defense could be rather good.

If it wasn't for that crappy covid19 I would be extremely excited to see where we are, time on the field working together gets interfered with it will hurt us more than most NFL teams because we haven't been together as long or at all.

Billy Turner is a starting G for Green Bay now. He got a decent contract there, but I have not watched his play aside from one game.
I always liked the kid. He had great tools, dominant size and length, excellent agility, true power, nasty disposition, and seemed to be doing the necessary grinding. He just never mastered the technique--which is a very hard thing to do for OL and seems to be one of the rarest traits. I'm happy he's still working.

I guess it take time to develop..Turner is starter

So let me get this straight. A team that was considered paper thin last season and picked by many to be the worst team in the NFL (some said they wouldn't win a single game) still has depth issues?
Who would have guessed that? Way to really go out on a limb there! :lmfao:

In all seriousness, I believe the Dolphins found a couple of players over the course of last season to help fill some of those holes and depth, as Flores and Co. were pretty adept at finding undrafted and waiver wire gems that they could coach up in their system. Examples of that would be; Preston Williams and Nik Needham. Also, we saw several pre-existing, under-performing players really step up, such as DeVante Parker and Mike Gesicki.

Now add the 12 players acquired via free agency or trades, the 11 draft picks they just made in April, and the 10 un-drafted FA signings to the mix and perhaps those roster holes and depth issues might not be so noticeable.

Seriously, if only a 1/4 of those 33 players pan out and make a positive impact this season, doesn't that go a long way toward remedying their depth issues?

The Dolphins didn't really lose any free agents of consequence, so adding 8-9 quality players to a 53-55 man roster should be pretty noticeable.

Last year that was true. not this year. Whole purpose of off season Wass to improve our OL and DL starters while improving depth for the rest of the team.

All defensive positions improved depth. Only WRs were pretty much left alone cause depth already there.

Back
Top Bottom