Dolphins RB Matt Breida joins 'Good Morning Football' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins RB Matt Breida joins 'Good Morning Football'

You're probably right, he could easily be 5'6. But to me, the difference in him being 5'6 or 6'0 isn't what is going to determine his success. His issues are more simplistic. WITH the ball he is a Pro-Bowl level threat. WITHOUT the ball he is a roster bubble guy. Jakeem needs to learn to beat press coverage more consistently, and at 6'3 and 215 lbs he could do that with size and power. But, at his stature it's 100% dependent upon his quickness, which is lethal. Once he becomes more reliably available (beating press coverage), a QB can get him the ball. He's small, and while he creates great separation, he has a small throwing window, so that QB _must_ be laser accurate. Tua is generally accurate, so this might be a big test to his precision throwing. I don't see the two being a great pair because of that. Then, Grant needs to improve his hands. Jarvis Landry was under 6'0 but he had big hands and was a very sure catcher. Grant's small hands make it harder for him to become a good catcher. That's particularly problematic over the middle when passes bouncing up become INT's.

Grant hasn't gotten over the hump yet. But if/when he does ... this guy can be a real star, IMHO. That change of direction is unequaled in the NFL, and his speed is as good as anyone's. I haven't given up hope for Jakeem!
If that half a foot difference wasn't extremely significant, then we would see at least one 5'6" wide receiver producing in the NFL.

I never said he can't do it, bc he has traits that other receivers don't have. My only point was that there is no other successful receiver in the NFL at his height.

The shortest player since 1930 is Trindon Holliday, who was 5'5". Dismissing the idea that Jakeem's height is relevant to whether he can succeed at WR is simply putting your head in the sand.

Again, I hope he can become a solid WR. But if he can, it is simply a testament to how good he is at everything else. Height will still always matter.

I love the speed and I love the versatility that Brieda brings to our offence.

What I love most was when he said Tua isn't afraid to make mistakes in the virtual meetings. It means to me that Tua is contributing and putting it out there and for a rookie thats a big first step towards the confidence needed to run with the big boys...

Back
Top Bottom