Dolphins RB Matt Breida joins 'Good Morning Football' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins RB Matt Breida joins 'Good Morning Football'

I can't wait to see this kid rip apart defenses in a Phins jersey. Dude has rocket wheels for days.
Love him. Only concern is injuries. Hope we plan on pounding the defense with Howard and keep Breida around 12-14 touches.

That's all he needs to have a significant impact and give us at least one big play a game.

Neither guy is elite. But I really like having a yards after contact guy wearing down the defense before we unleash the speed demon on them.

Last edited:
I gotta say ... I'm EXCITED to watch Matt Breida play. This guy is fast, OK, we know that, but he also has some good change of direction and is a one-cut runner and even has a tiny bit of power to lower his shoulders despite his small stature. If we can open holes for this guy, he's going to break off more chunk yardage than Kenyon Drake did. I see Breida as the stronger, bulkier version of Albert Wilson if Wilson were a RB. Those two together give an OC a lot of interesting options.

But, I still maintain that hands-down the fastest player on our team and in the league is Jakeem Grant. Grant also has the most devastating change of direction skills I've seen since Barry Sanders retired. If he can learn to beat press coverage and improve his hands ... he could be the best of the three. And, with those 3 guys, our offense is going to generate a bunch of chunk yardage plays, even if our OL sucks. If we ever get that OL sorted out, these guys can take that offense to another level.

I gotta say ... I'm EXCITED to watch Matt Breida play. This guy is fast, OK, we know that, but he also has some good change of direction and is a one-cut runner and even has a tiny bit of power to lower his shoulders despite his small stature. If we can open holes for this guy, he's going to break off more chunk yardage than Kenyon Drake did. I see Breida as the stronger, bulkier version of Albert Wilson if Wilson were a RB. Those two together give an OC a lot of interesting options.

But, I still maintain that hands-down the fastest player on our team and in the league is Jakeem Grant. Grant also has the most devastating change of direction skills I've seen since Barry Sanders retired. If he can learn to beat press coverage and improve his hands ... he could be the best of the three. And, with those 3 guys, our offense is going to generate a bunch of chunk yardage plays, even if our OL sucks. If we ever get that OL sorted out, these guys can take that offense to another level.
Good take Digital. Grant's somewhere between maybe he makes the team and a pro bowler with his abilities. Just needs to put it all together.

I really do like Jakeem as a person. Who doesn't love an ultimate underdog? But the issue is that depending on where you look he is either 5'6 or 5'7, but I'm pretty sure he is much closer to 5'6.

Taylor Gabriel and Cole Beasley are literally the only productive receivers that are shorter than 5'9, and they both are still taller than Jakeem. It's weird because there are plenty of 5'9 receivers, but that seems to be the magic drop off number.

It is true that VERY few players can match his speed and quickness. And this is a guy that has been discounted his whole life due to his height, so I take no pleasure in questioning whether he can overcome it. Especially because I was that guy growing up in my playing days. But even a 500 yard season would make him a pretty extreme outlier.

I have rooted for the guy ever since the first time I saw this tiny speedster take his first kickoff. I still remember his first TD return his rookie year against the Titans.

He's going to get a shot this season. So all I can say is prove me wrong Jakeem. Please prove me wrong.

Last edited:
:lol: Let’s pump the brakes a tad. I was pretty excited when we traded for him, but Top 5???

Oh I felt your postcoming a million miles away, mostly because I wanted to say the same thing myself, but even so it is impressive that some people are actually claiming this.

I really do like Jakeem as a person. Who doesn't love an ultimate underdog? But the issue is that depending on where you look he is either 5'6 or 5'7, but I'm pretty sure he is much closer to 5'6.

Taylor Gabriel and Cole Beasley are literally the only productive receivers that are shorter than 5'9, and they both are still taller than Jakeem. It's weird because there are plenty of 5'9 receivers, but that seems to be the magic drop off number.

It is true that VERY few players can match his speed and quickness. And this is a guy that has been discounted his whole life due to his height, so I take no pleasure in questioning whether he can overcome it. Especially because I was that guy growing up in my playing days. But even a 500 yard season would make him a pretty extreme outlier.

I have rooted for the guy ever since the first time I saw this tiny speedster take his first kickoff. I still remember his first TD return his rookie year against the Titans.

He's going to get a shot this season. So all I can say is prove me wrong Jakeem. Please prove me wrong.
You're probably right, he could easily be 5'6. But to me, the difference in him being 5'6 or 6'0 isn't what is going to determine his success. His issues are more simplistic. WITH the ball he is a Pro-Bowl level threat. WITHOUT the ball he is a roster bubble guy. Jakeem needs to learn to beat press coverage more consistently, and at 6'3 and 215 lbs he could do that with size and power. But, at his stature it's 100% dependent upon his quickness, which is lethal. Once he becomes more reliably available (beating press coverage), a QB can get him the ball. He's small, and while he creates great separation, he has a small throwing window, so that QB _must_ be laser accurate. Tua is generally accurate, so this might be a big test to his precision throwing. I don't see the two being a great pair because of that. Then, Grant needs to improve his hands. Jarvis Landry was under 6'0 but he had big hands and was a very sure catcher. Grant's small hands make it harder for him to become a good catcher. That's particularly problematic over the middle when passes bouncing up become INT's.

Grant hasn't gotten over the hump yet. But if/when he does ... this guy can be a real star, IMHO. That change of direction is unequaled in the NFL, and his speed is as good as anyone's. I haven't given up hope for Jakeem!

Guy looks very good to me in the highlights, great speed good vision and solid running and a threat in the passing game solid pickup.

As far as who's the fastest guy in football, it doesn't matter if you win the 40 yard-dash in shorts it matters how you run in pads and use your speed to your advantage in games and if next gen stats saying it's Breida that's hard to argue with.

Both Breida and Grant need to stay on the field and off the IR and it's great to have the speed to mix with the power/size it's just more tools for the offensive coordinator.

Tough break when Baltimore jumped us and took Dobbins but who knows we could of had eyes for Davis all along, the rebound and how we found 2 decent backs Jordan Howard and Matt Breida was solid work by the front office and the backs would seem to compliment each other a little power and a little speed.

Back
Top Bottom