Dolphins red-zone D no early-season statistical quirk | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins red-zone D no early-season statistical quirk

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
You gotta LOVE IT BABY!!!

Miami 24 little giants 17

---------------------------------

Zone Makes Fish See Red

By Neil Best
STAFF WRITER

October 4, 2003

The Dolphins' defense is loaded with big-name players, and when it is backed near its end zone, the area those players must defend is compacted. For opposing offenses, the result often is an attack that, at best, grinds to a halt, or at worst, produces a devastating turnover.

The statistics illustrate the situation and highlight one of the Giants' greatest challenges Sunday. Miami ranks first in red-zone defense, having allowed no touchdowns in the eight times opponents moved inside the 20-yard line.

This is no early-season statistical quirk. It is part of a trend. In 2002, the Dolphins finished fourth in the league with a red-zone TD percentage of 40.9.

Read the rest at:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...t04,0,5728151.story?coll=ny-giants-headlines:

More good news !!!

-------

Giants coach Jim Fassel identified the Dolphins' red-zone prowess (they also rank second in offense inside the 20, with six touchdowns in seven opportunities) as a pivotal factor.

---------

And check out this:

Red-Zone Defense

The Dolphins lead the league in red- zone defense. The top five:

Team Poss. TDs Pct.

Dolphins 8 0 .000

Broncos 7 1 .143

Bucs 6 1 .167

Browns 10 2 .200

Giants 12 3 .250

Instead from scoring inside our 20 they throw from the 40 and score :tongue:

I just dont want us to get big heads about it cus we have been doing this for years since JJ took over only to fold in the end. I dont think you can rely soley week to week on this concept becuase eery team is different and a KC or an Indy might be able to overcome that (even though Indy hasnt ever).
The difference to me is Knight and Seau because they give us the coverage and extra wrinkle to be different.

Back
Top Bottom