Dolphins Related --- How the SF Rebuild Affects Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Related --- How the SF Rebuild Affects Miami

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
There are different ways to build a team and my guess is Miami's plan is to closely duplicate what the Patriots do. Bringing in a staff of ex-Patriot coaches supports that belief, but there are other models out there.

In the recent case of the San Francisco 49ers it was all about building the defense line and finding an offensive minded coach to get the most out of that side of the ball. The 49ers have spent four number one picks on the defensive line, with Bosa and Buckner the two stars. They are doing a great job of rushing the quarterback, the major difference from a year ago. The offensive line is pretty good as well and Kyle Shanahan schemes the running game as good or better than any current coach. I don't see a star on the offense, which leads me to Jimmy Garoppolo. Not a bad quarterback, but more in-line with the Mitch Trubisky's of the world, mid-tier, but helped by a running game and his coach.

My point? It will be interesting to see how the 49ers fare in the playoffs when quarterback play is even more important than in the regular season. If SF goes far, could that change Miami's thinking in the draft? Could the team copy this blueprint?

Personally, I'd do everything in my power to find a top 10 caliber quarterback. I think that's more sustainable long-term than building a strong defense.

Here's a very quick list of the top 10 quarterback in the NFL, in no particular order with the caveat that I may have missed a few:

Brady
Brees
Rogers
Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Wenz
Rivers
Ben Ben
Stafford

Big Ben is hurt and the Steelers are looking like a fringe playoff team with a bit of a lucky win yesterday. But, other than that those quarterbacks are mostly going to be in the postseason and that is almost always a yearly occurrence.

I would take Lamar Jackson over a few of the QB's you have listed in your top 10.

I really like Lamar Jackson as a player and a person. I hoped he would fall a bit further and Miami would take him in the 2nd. That being said, I don’t know how sustainable his game is at the NFL level. A single leg/knee injury can derail a runners career and there is always the concern for concussions. If he continues to develop as a passer however, I think he will be fun to watch for many years.

The love for Lamar Jackson now is sickening when everyone was throwing dirt on his name during the draft. He is another great QB we could have had just like Drew Brees.

Biggest blunder of Chris Grier's career in my opinion.

Last edited:
I really like Lamar Jackson as a player and a person. I hoped he would fall a bit further and Miami would take him in the 2nd. That being said, I don’t know how sustainable his game is at the NFL level. A single leg/knee injury can derail a runners career and there is always the concern for concussions. If he continues to develop as a passer however, I think he will be fun to watch for many years.
He got into a great situation with John Harbaugh. As much as I would have liked Miami to draft him, I'm not sure he would have been successful with the Dolphins. Love watching him play. An absolutely electric talent.

He got into a great situation with John Harbaugh. As much as I would have liked Miami to draft him, I'm not sure he would have been successful with the Dolphins. Love watching him play. An absolutely electric talent.
This is it right here. we never considered qb and if so was Adam Gase going to help him succeed?

Jon harbaugh deserves a ton of credit for redefining his whole coaching philosophy to fit Lamar and his skill set. If every other team did this we wouldn't have a QB deprived league

There are different ways to build a team and my guess is Miami's plan is to closely duplicate what the Patriots do. Bringing in a staff of ex-Patriot coaches supports that belief, but there are other models out there.

In the recent case of the San Francisco 49ers it was all about building the defense line and finding an offensive minded coach to get the most out of that side of the ball. The 49ers have spent four number one picks on the defensive line, with Bosa and Buckner the two stars. They are doing a great job of rushing the quarterback, the major difference from a year ago. The offensive line is pretty good as well and Kyle Shanahan schemes the running game as good or better than any current coach. I don't see a star on the offense, which leads me to Jimmy Garoppolo. Not a bad quarterback, but more in-line with the Mitch Trubisky's of the world, mid-tier, but helped by a running game and his coach.

My point? It will be interesting to see how the 49ers fare in the playoffs when quarterback play is even more important than in the regular season. If SF goes far, could that change Miami's thinking in the draft? Could the team copy this blueprint?

Personally, I'd do everything in my power to find a top 10 caliber quarterback. I think that's more sustainable long-term than building a strong defense.

Here's a very quick list of the top 10 quarterback in the NFL, in no particular order with the caveat that I may have missed a few:

Brady
Brees
Rogers
Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Wenz
Rivers
Ben Ben
Stafford

Big Ben is hurt and the Steelers are looking like a fringe playoff team with a bit of a lucky win yesterday. But, other than that those quarterbacks are mostly going to be in the postseason and that is almost always a yearly occurrence.

looking at those QBs, with Brady being the outlier, there really isn’t many SB wins.

Brady
Brees
Rogers
Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Wenz
Rivers
Ben Ben
Stafford

The point is they paid Garapolo like he was a franchise QB...you have to have the QB....winning, clutch QB’s make all the difference.

I think this comes down to what your definition of success is? Do you judge success by super bowl wins or by regular playoffs but no SB win?

How many on that list have won SB’s?

I need a SB win it’s been too long and I really don’t care how we do it. If it means taking a QB then fine if it means taking the SF route you’re suggesting then fine.

The point is they paid Garapolo like he was a franchise QB...you have to have the QB....winning, clutch QB’s make all the difference.
They definitely believe in him. I don't see him as a top 10 quarterback, not yet anyway. But that's just my view. I think he is helped by how well the 49ers run the ball. Right now he is playing mostly a complementary role.

I think this comes down to what your definition of success is? Do you judge success by super bowl wins or by regular playoffs but no SB win?

How many on that list have won SB’s?

I need a SB win it’s been too long and I really don’t care how we do it. If it means taking a QB then fine if it means taking the SF route you’re suggesting then fine.
You obviously need a team to win the super bowl. But these are quarterbacks who give you a chance to win big. Interestingly, look at the age of the top quarterbacks on the list (albeit the list may not be 100 percent accurate). In the next 3-5 years, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers and Rivers could all be out of the league. So the opportunity is there for Miami if they find the right guy.

Right now, the best of the young guns are Mahomes, Watson, Wenz and maybe Lamar Jackson. Baker Mayfield might end up there as well, although this year has been a disappointment for him.

The love for Lamar Jackson now is sickening when everyone was throwaing dirt on his name during the draft. He is another great QB we could have had just like Drew Brees.

Biggest blunder of Chris Grier's career in my opinion.
Steve Ross' one moment of clarity in his entire reign (except for firing Gase) was to suggest to Grier that we trade down for Jackson. Instead the player selected is no longer on the team.

Not a Jimmy G lover, but do think you are underestimating his abilities as a passer.... his 1st 7x games in SF, he passed very well - and now that he has a legitimate WR, think you will see their passing pick up ... they will not get there with just running .... his WRs this year to date were terrible....

Back
Top Bottom