Dolphins Report - USA Today 10/16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Report - USA Today 10/16

An officiating tape recently distributed to the media stated players are permitted to tackle Williams by his dreadlocks without fear of penalization. When describing a play in which Williams gets his hair yanked by a Buffalo player, NFL officiating director Mike Pereira said, "You've got the hair being pulled and the locks are like the shirt, I guess. If you pull the locks, it's OK. If you're going to wear your locks out like that, you're the one that's at risk."

Me thinks the NFL is thinking too much about image and not enough about player safety. The locks are not "like the shirt, I guess" they are a part of his head. This is like giving players the green light to give Ricky a potential neck injury....

And what's with the " I guess"??.....does it mean, "I don't have dread locks so I'm not sure if they're attached to his shirt or not"?....:rolleyes:

I love Ricky, but I agree with their decision. The only reason they are a problem is because Ricky chooses to have them. Often, when a defender is running down a player from behind their insting is to grab for the neck of the shirt. If his hair is blocking this, than its fair game IMO.

When should the line be drawn?? What if a player decides he is going to let his hair grow past his waist?? Do we penalize the defense everytime they pull that player's hair in the process of tackling him?? What about if they go Cousin IT and grow it to their ankles??

I know its extreme... but the point is a player should accept the consequences if they want their hair hanging out of their helmet. It should not be used as a SHIELD.

Why dont he

just tuck them in his shoulder pads. I have dreads down to my a$$ almost and I would most certainly tuck them in my jersey.

Originally posted by grooves12
I love Ricky, but I agree with their decision. The only reason they are a problem is because Ricky chooses to have them. Often, when a defender is running down a player from behind their insting is to grab for the neck of the shirt. If his hair is blocking this, than its fair game IMO.

When should the line be drawn?? What if a player decides he is going to let his hair grow past his waist?? Do we penalize the defense everytime they pull that player's hair in the process of tackling him?? What about if they go Cousin IT and grow it to their ankles??

I know its extreme... but the point is a player should accept the consequences if they want their hair hanging out of their helmet. It should not be used as a SHIELD.

I see the point and I agree..IF... it's incidental.....If it's blatant, it should not be allowed.....That would be a tough call to make though.

Re: Why dont he

Originally posted by rhadaddy
just tuck them in his shoulder pads. I have dreads down to my a$$ almost and I would most certainly tuck them in my jersey.

I agree. Especially if it's not too hot on the field.

Back
Top Bottom