Dolphins Reportedly Front Runner To Land De Trey Flowers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Reportedly Front Runner To Land De Trey Flowers

In my opinion, if we sign him, Ryan Tannehill will be 100% gone. I think that's team building 101. Get a cheap QB, surround him with lots of talent and as soon as you have to pay the QB, those expensive contracts of the team around him will expire and you deal them to another team.

Trey Flowers is rated the #3 Free Agent in the whole NFL. Coach Flores knows precisely what he can do. He would be the key Defensive player for the future and a major loss to the Patriots but it is questionable whether we would be prepared to invest so much in him. Some other teams have over $100M in cap space - I would love to get him but I seriously doubt that we are the front runner to sign him.

Tanking is off the table if they start signing players like this. He's extremely versatile but you better consistently get to the QB for the kind of scratch he's gonna get. Pass for me.

Don’t we have to spend some money, when we lose some of the wasted salaries like Branch and Quinn to name a few, some cash should be freed up, plus he’s young and knows Flores system

LOL... We are spending money this year and next on players who wont be on this roster!! We are already spending 13.1 in Dead Cap Space for the Suh signing. Then the following year will be spending about the same in Dead Cap when Tannehill, Sitton, Branch and maybe Kiko are all cut. This team won't be competing until 2021. Then you have people talking about locking up Howard, they say " we have to lockup our homegrown talent" by paying him Top 5 money for 5 years when 2 of them will be spent rebuilding this team. On top of all that, we need to find a franchise quarterback with the average amount of draft capital every year. I would much rather see the front office build this team like the MLB's Astros of the past or the current Brave team. We have been mediocre for how many years, 20? I want this done the right way. We should be trading down and acquire more picks. We should also be getting draft compensation for any valuable players we can trade. We will need the draft capitol to move up when this front office finds their franchise quarterback. Grier has even said in interviews or press conferences that he would much rather have 3 good players on a roster than one great one. We have in the past spent money on individual players and where has that got us. Hows Rashad Jones contract treating us? I just hope they do this rebuild the right way and not half assed!!

Tanking is off the table if they start signing players like this. He's extremely versatile but you better consistently get to the QB for the kind of scratch he's gonna get. Pass for me.

Was tanking ever really on the table?

I know some have said we should tank for Tua, or perhaps tank for Lawrence the year after. Trade veterans with value, don't partake in free agency outside of cheaper talent. Essentially gut the roster and rebuild from the ground up. Although I can see the logic behind it, I personally wouldn't want us to follow that path, and I'm not convinced Ross and co would subscribe to that method either. I think their idea of a rebuild is to shed bad contracts (and not add new ones) and add talent to the roster while being competitive. A rebuild on the fly.

So was tanking ever really on the table? I'm not convinced it ever was.

I’m all for signing young free agents. Especially those that the coaches are very familiar with. This also gives more flexibility in the draft. Also if Miami does sign more free agents than expected it could be a sign they are planning to move up for a QB. As for the money, I’m sure Wake, Branch and Quinn’s salaries combined easily cover Flowers signing and two other quality players. That being said, I think this is lazy, connect the dots reporting.

Was tanking ever really on the table?

I know some have said we should tank for Tua, or perhaps tank for Lawrence the year after. Trade veterans with value, don't partake in free agency outside of cheaper talent. Essentially gut the roster and rebuild from the ground up. Although I can see the logic behind it, I personally wouldn't want us to follow that path, and I'm not convinced Ross and co would subscribe to that method either. I think their idea of a rebuild is to shed bad contracts (and not add new ones) and add talent to the roster while being competitive. A rebuild on the fly.

So was tanking ever really on the table? I'm not convinced it ever was.

People get too caught up in the word "tanking". Like you referenced, all it implies is building from the ground up and not saddling yourself with massive, potentially foot-stabbing, contracts while shedding bad contracts from previous years.

Signing Flowers would be a lot like signing Suh but this time the team is aware that the one player quick fix isn't gonna do it and this would negatively impact the ability to build a roster lacking in talent at every position. Or it's the Dolphins and they sign him to a 10 year deal that gets restructured every season because learning from mistakes is harder than translating sanskrit.

i wouldnt spent huge money on him, but you have to give him a good deal. i think he would take a little less to be with flores... but i could be 100% wrong

Absolutely. I get the whole “tanking” idea. But you still need SOME players. If we go into 2019 with just a bunch of backups on our team, we won’t be a competitive team for years, regardless of who we are tanking for

Like many of you guys I'd love to have him but like many have already said, it'd be a lot of money for a team not ready to compete. Our cap is not good at all thanks to our horrible FO so I just don't see it happening.

His contract won't be that high.

He'd instantly become a cornerstone type player and he knows the system like the back of his hand.

Miami isn't going to sign him, this is teams and agents putting us out there. We may want him sure, but not at 5/75

i think $15 mil per is light. More like $18 mil per.

It’s tbe one edge option I’d be interested in although I do think tbe scheme does some of the driving here even.

Only 25 years old though is a bonus and something you are gonna pay for

Back
Top Bottom