Dolphins Reportedly Front Runner To Land De Trey Flowers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Reportedly Front Runner To Land De Trey Flowers

I mean as much as rebuilding in the draft we all would like to do, free agency is a very important aspect of a rebuild.

People get antsy at price but a high price is much more preferable than signing Mario Williams and Andre Branch.

Kid is a glove fit and if Miami get antsy at QB and gives up a few draft picks, having a stud DE come in could be away to keep the DE position stong in the face of losing Quinn and potentially Wake.

Don’t just fill for the sake of filling. Get quality FAs and draft well on day 2 and 3.
Nice post sir.

Was tanking ever really on the table?

I know some have said we should tank for Tua, or perhaps tank for Lawrence the year after. Trade veterans with value, don't partake in free agency outside of cheaper talent. Essentially gut the roster and rebuild from the ground up. Although I can see the logic behind it, I personally wouldn't want us to follow that path, and I'm not convinced Ross and co would subscribe to that method either. I think their idea of a rebuild is to shed bad contracts (and not add new ones) and add talent to the roster while being competitive. A rebuild on the fly.

So was tanking ever really on the table? I'm not convinced it ever was.
So here is the thing you can’t tell people you are tanking - you just do it anyways by vettisoning players and standing by and watching FA - o mean you can raise the prices of FA considerably - to challenge other teams salary cap

Really good player, not wild about breaking the bank the first year into a reset.

Hopefully we're drafting Trey Flowers type players in the coming years.

I have no issue with signing Trey Flowers as long as we don't go silly on the contract, and in turn add players to that front seven to support him. It's like you say, we aren't one player away, we need more than that. But Flowers, at the right price, could be an important piece to the puzzle. He's still young and got his best years ahead. His addition could take the pressure off any new drafted players from needing to produce from the get go.

Also, the idea of a multi year rebuild is very much dependant on the quarterback. If we draft Haskins, Lock, Murray or Jones and they have a strong rookie year on the way to let's say 8-8, then it is all about adding depth to the supporting cast because our aim in year two would be to challenge for the play offs. So while we need to rebuild, the speed at which it occurs will be dependent on finding the next quarterback. Conversely, miss on the quarterback and the rebuild takes longer, and perhaps increases the odds of a high pick.

I guess it depends on your definition of silly because he's arguably the best FA out there (been here before, huh?) and will cost every bit of $20 per. It's exactly the opposite of what we should be doing.

Sign him, or suck donkey balls all season long because Harris is a bust and there's no one else at DE, their decision.

Need to get him, keep James, keep X, and plan for Tunsil's extension if they want to get serious about winning, it can be done.

they can get wildcard this yr. 6 spot up in air every yr. this team is not that bad. people on this site going over board. this team need good Coach and good Gm. to take this team to next level. we need add young talent who can play 16 games. let old guy go who cannot play about half season

They’ve been mediocre for A LONG TIME with this sort of expectation that they’re a playoff team if they do this or that...build a team around the last two years of rookies and resigning guys like Howard. Trade or let go of anyone who’s not reliable, productive or on the decline. Basically anyone on their 3rd contract would be out. Almost anyone over 28+ years old.

Restructure RT on an easily tradeable contract, rebuild his value with a strong offseason so you can trade him to a QB needy team that’s desperate during the season.

I think we all know the idea of tanking in 2019 has one main objective, and that is to have a shot at a franchise QB next year.

And IF we do get our QB in 2020, I expect the FO to try to build the best roster around the guy in order for us to be competitive starting next year.

But if you have a shot at getting a really good FA in Flowers this year, who can be part of this team's long-term success, I don't see why they wouldn't take it.

It's not like having him would prevent us from getting a top pick next year, especially if our starting QB is someone like Falk. And it's not like our FO should wait to get ALL the pieces starting next year. Why not get him this year, and start building the defense NOW, so when we do get our franchise QB the team already has a solid base of young, good football players?

I just don't see how getting Trey Flowers this year goes against the philosophy of "building the team the right way". If he fits your scheme, is familiar with it, and you consider him a solid piece to add to your young defense with a long-term outlook, then go get him. It's a no brainer.

These are the types of signings you want to kickstart a rebuild. Go get em, Chris.

Yeah this is the one high profile free agent I’d like to get. Premium position, basically we’d get him for the price of losing Branch and Quinn (he may be a little more) and having 1 good De isn’t gonna immediately make us a contender. But Flowers, Xavien Howard, Minkah, and Jerome Baker gives us a young defensive core to work with. Then draft Oline and DL in rounds 1 and 2. And start some combo of Rudock, Falk, and cheap FA Qb

Flowers could right the wrongs of the past in, Mario Williams, Andre Branch, Robert Quinn and Charles Harris. The stench of Mike Tannenbaum may have finally left the building. He brought in all these players in an attempt to replace Olivier Vernon and the $85M contract he signed; but wound up spending just about as much, on the above named players with much less production. Not saying it was right or wrong; just pointing out the capital spent on trying to replace one player to justify a $114M contract to another player, who was just here for the money. Flowers knows the system and does the things needed to help improve the defense. Nothing flashy, just steady!!!

Last edited:
No thank you.

Hard, hard, hard, HARD pass

This is one FA that makes total sense. Good young player, fills a need, played in the system. Face it, we are rebuilding not tanking. You have to start this year. You can't piss away an entire year and hope you get your QB next year. Than it will take you several more years to build up the talent on the rest of the team. This is why you extend X and sign good young players now so they are still here in 3 years. Got to cut the older waste. Rather have Flowers than the combo of Quinn and Branch.

They’ve been mediocre for A LONG TIME with this sort of expectation that they’re a playoff team if they do this or that...build a team around the last two years of rookies and resigning guys like Howard. Trade or let go of anyone who’s not reliable, productive or on the decline. Basically anyone on their 3rd contract would be out. Almost anyone over 28+ years old.

Restructure RT on an easily tradeable contract, rebuild his value with a strong offseason so you can trade him to a QB needy team that’s desperate during the season.
sometime you just got cut ur lost like good team do. only bad team waste time w players like thill17. if our GM keep thill17. He is not GM. He should of been fire w everybody else.

Back
Top Bottom