Dolphins Reportedly Front Runner To Land De Trey Flowers | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Reportedly Front Runner To Land De Trey Flowers

How are people OK with paying this guy $12-15 million per year, yet balk at paying James $11 million?

I would argue that James' position has as big an effect on the game than Flowers'.

Is it because James is the low hanging fruit (a Dolphin) and Flowers is the star on the X-Mas tree (a Patriot)?

I hope Flores knows best here and advises Grier to steer clear.

I think a lot of people are going to have a hard time adjusting to the new dolphin way. Jus like another team not to mention. Will not go chasing after all the new shine toys at the yard sale. We will wait til the end and then buy some of the stuff people didn't wanna pay full price for for half price. No more being the first people waiting outside in the road for the sale to begin.

I mean in this situation its less about a shiny toy and more about getting a vital piece for Brian Flores’ defense.

Depending on William Hayes to do that would be the old Dolphin way.

Getting ideal fits, guys you have worked with previously and are high character, high motor players and do everything asked of them would be a welcome addition.

Yes its cost money, but until you draft better more consistently, getting quality, expensive free agents you know work in your defense is a proper approach.

No projections are needed . . . This is arguably the top DE at setting the edge and can line up all over Flores’ DLine.

Its a no brainer addition if you are looking to build a foundation on D.

How are people OK with paying this guy $12-15 million per year, yet balk at paying James $11 million?

I would argue that James' position has as big an effect on the game than Flowers'.

Is it because James is the low hanging fruit (a Dolphin) and Flowers is the star on the X-Mas tree (a Patriot)?

I wouldn't be ok with giving Flowers 15 a year, that's a little rich. But if it was somehow between paying Flowers 12 a year or James 11 a year, I'm paying Flowers. He's just a better player than James although at a completely different position.

I'm with you overall. I want to pay James - and am good in the 10ishM range - and I'm not keen on paying Flowers. Being fair to the other side, though, Flowers is a better more consistent player.

While Flowers is the quintessential fit, I'm not comfortable with the $$$ being tossed around. But would understand, If Miami signed him. Not a fan of the potential contract but a huge fan of what Flowers would bring to the rebuild.

While Flowers is the quintessential fit, I'm not comfortable with the $$$ being tossed around. But would understand, If Miami signed him. Not a fan of the potential contract but a huge fan of what Flowers would bring to the rebuild.

Be an interesting and showing move to give us a bit of an idea as to the path the FO wants to go.

Spending must be part of the equation but a young player capable of great accomplishment here for years filling a roll of critical importance to the scheme they are working on though costing a good amount of $$$ is understandable as long as they see it as not going to be a major obstacle to continue the rather substantial development of the team....Not like the previous Clowns...

This is a depressing offseason, just knowing we’re gonna be really really bad. Most likely losing Cam Wake (my favorite player), seeing all the dead money we will have, no Great QB options (unless we get lucky in the draft), another new coaching staff. Trey Flowers signing here would be a little glimmer of hope/excitement. I don’t love the idea of paying him crazy money especially in a rebuild. But I could justify because: 1 obvious scheme fit, 2 Premier position, 3 he’s relatively young, 4 our staff is familiar with him and if they feel he’s worth the money then I could feel comfortable with it as well

DE has always been a position that is over paid. That is the break. If Flowers is a game changing DE then he is worth that money.

Even if you are tanking, you need to stockpile some good young players here and there. You aren't going to fix the roster in two or three drafts. You need to pick your spots with some free agents.

Flowers isn't going to be the different between the Dolphins winning three games and winning eight this year. But, with some shrewd drafting and free agents signings over the next couple of seasons, he could be one of the building blocks of an excellent team. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Even if you are tanking, you need to stockpile some good young players here and there. You aren't going to fix the roster in two or three drafts. You need to pick your spots with some free agents.

Flowers isn't going to be the different between the Dolphins winning three games and winning eight this year. But, with some shrewd drafting and free agents signings over the next couple of seasons, he could be one of the building blocks of an excellent team. Makes a lot of sense to me.

If they are rebuilding/ tanking as you state and this roster won't be fixed with 2 or 3 drafts, this team won't be good. Why would any free agents who are building blocks/ premium players at their position want to come to Miami and play? The only way they would is if Miami once again offers excessive amounts of money and adds another bad contract. Isn't that part of the reason why Miami has been soooo mediocre in the past. They will be once again overpaying and when the player ages and is not productive anymore like they were prior to signing with Miami or the second or third year into their new 5 year Dolphin contract, Miami will just cut them and again accrue more dead cap space like so many times before because the contract is bad and no other team will trade for him. Does this sound familiar? Before anyone chimes in about Flowers is young and his production wont tail off, we are going to be cutting Quinn and he is making far less than what Flowers will be getting in the open market and Flowers is only 3 years younger. In Quinn's second contract, his production tapered off compered to his rookie contract. what makes you think Flowers heading into his second NFL contract will fare any better?

If they are rebuilding/ tanking as you state and this roster won't be fixed with 2 or 3 drafts, this team won't be good. Why would any free agents who are building blocks/ premium players at their position want to come to Miami and play? The only way they would is if Miami once again offers excessive amounts of money and adds another bad contract. Isn't that part of the reason why Miami has been soooo mediocre in the past. They will be once again overpaying and when the player ages and is not productive anymore like they were prior to signing with Miami or the second or third year into their new 5 year Dolphin contract, Miami will just cut them and again accrue more dead cap space like so many times before because the contract is bad and no other team will trade for him. Does this sound familiar? Before anyone chimes in about Flowers is young and his production wont tail off, we are going to be cutting Quinn and he is making far less than what Flowers will be getting in the open market and Flowers is only 3 years younger. In Quinn's second contract, his production tapered off compered to his rookie contract. what makes you think Flowers heading into his second NFL contract will fare any better?

Because your banking on getting high draft picks with young talented players, and a young QB who shows potential after a year or 2. Look at what rams did with Goff, Eagles with Wentz, What browns are doing with mayfield. You get some young players get a QB, and then you aggressively build around them whether it’s through overpaying a few FA at key positions of need, or trading future picks for players ala (Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Jay Ajayi). It doesn’t always pan out but that’s the formula I think you can hope to build off. Not many teams have the ability like Pats, Saints, or even to a lesser extent Packers have where they can sign good vets for cheap because they have HOF QBs. So we can’t model are plan off that exact formula we have to look at the other young teams and how they rebuilt in a 3-4 year period

Because your banking on getting high draft picks with young talented players, and a young QB who shows potential after a year or 2. Look at what rams did with Goff, Eagles with Wentz, What browns are doing with mayfield. You get some young players get a QB, and then you aggressively build around them whether it’s through overpaying a few FA at key positions of need, or trading future picks for players ala (Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Jay Ajayi). It doesn’t always pan out but that’s the formula I think you can hope to build off. Not many teams have the ability like Pats, Saints, or even to a lesser extent Packers have where they can sign good vets for cheap because they have HOF QBs. So we can’t model are plan off that exact formula we have to look at the other young teams and how they rebuilt in a 3-4 year period

In 3 years of getting high draft picks, say your top 3 picks every year are starting caliber and 1 needs to be a franchise quarterback. That leaves you with 8 picks. That’s when you start upgrading at other positions with free agent not before when you may miss on 3 of the 8 non QBs you draft of for heavens sake the guy you draft as your franchise Qb and he turns out not to be. Then you are left right back where we are today. You can’t put the cart in front of the horse. You have to get the Quarterback first. That might be in 2020. Until then I’d be trading back and filling this roster with young promising players like Minkah, Tunsil and Baker.

With New England trading for Michael Bennett, I would assume they know they're about to lose Trey Flowers to F/A? Bennett at 1/2 the price of what, Flowers is about to get on the open market.

Even worse, the Sun Sentinel is throwing around numbers like 15-17 million.
That’s utterly ridiculous. Flowers is not an elite player. He’s a good system player. This is not Von Miller or JJ Watt.
Flowers is possibly worth 10-11 million per year.

Back
Top Bottom