Dolphins reportedly interested in LB Avery Williamson | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins reportedly interested in LB Avery Williamson

After releasing Timmons the Dolphins are only around 3 million under the cap. Release Thomas and they will be about 9 million under. Release Suh pre-June 1st they would be about 13 million under. Not sure where you are getting that 30 million from. People are thinking the Dolphins have more cap space than they actually do for some reason.
But Miami does gain additional cap space after June 1st. I realize it be too late in the game, but good non the less. With the expected release of Branch, Kiko that’s more money added, moving forward. I think Tannehill is going to restructure.

Seriously guys, don't expect the Dolphins to make any huge splashes in free agency this year, Most likely lower end and stop gap players that fit into their plans. They don't have the cap space and hopefully they have learned not to overpay.

But Miami does gain additional cap space after June 1st. I realize it be too late in the game, but good non the less. With the expected release of Branch, Kiko that’s more money added, moving forward. I think Tannehill is going to restructure.

There cap situation looks a lot better in 2019 but that doesn't help them in 2018's free agency period. A couple of low end free agents is all I expect this year.

For what it’s worth...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-free-agency-preview-tennessee-titans

MUST RE-SIGN
Avery Williamson, LB, 85.6 overall grade

A former fifth-round pick with the Titans in 2014, Williamson was cast into the fire early in his career, playing 820-plus defensive snaps in each of his first three years in the league. As expected, the former Kentucky product needed time to develop his skill set and gain experience before he could reach his maximum potential, which led to three consecutive years of middle-of-the-pack grades.

Most recently, Williamson seemingly turned over a new leaf as the Titans’ off-the-ball linebacker, finishing the 2017 season with the 10th-ranked grade (85.6) among qualifying linebackers. Also, his 90.1 run-defense grade ranked sixth among the same group of linebackers. He and fellow off-the-ball linebacker Wesley Woodyard make for a dynamic duo at the heart of Tennessee’s defense, one that would surely falter if Williamson were replaced in 2018.

He is a 2 down LB, very good vs the run and absolutely terrible vs the pass.

Last edited:
He's probably coming in to set up Alonso's departure next year. Miami needs a killer LB that can run, cover, has hips, can tackle, and play three downs. That's a complete player.

He's not the answer and will play some losing football in Miami.

I think people need to stop thinking that James will be the pick at 11. The team wants Mayfield and if they can't get him they'll move down for picks

Ozzy rules!!

I gotta be honest bro, when I read this the first thought in my head was: Trade down? Mike Tannenbaum? lol. If we do trade down we will be lucky to get a 6th and 2 7ths from Philly. And only because they owe him.

After releasing Timmons the Dolphins are only around 3 million under the cap. Release Thomas and they will be about 9 million under. Release Suh pre-June 1st they would be about 13 million under. Not sure where you are getting that 30 million from. People are thinking the Dolphins have more cap space than they actually do for some reason.
bc suh frees up 17 mil

so how does 2 down fix our nickel range and cover problem?

we would need another piece

derwin james

Yup. I am in favor of three safety play. But we're obviously missing that third piece where James fits the bill.

Sort of like what Barron does for the rams now

I loved Burke the first 1/3 of the season. Things got questionable from there on out but I'll reserve judgement bc that offense was killing games and t.o.p

I dont get it, isnt Kiko better at Mike and we drafted RM for Mike? There can only be one Mike lb so why have three when we dont have a Sam and Anthony as our only possibility at Will?

The same reason we have two strong safeties and 3 defensive right ends
No other team will have a clue what type of defense we will run

We really need to re-sign William Hayes if he's healthy.

I know we have 4 somewhat-starting ends (Quinn, Harris, Wake, Branch), but he was our best run stuffer last year before he went out, and with Suh gone we're going to need him.

Back
Top Bottom