Dolphins salivating at the speed Jaylen Waddle, Will Fuller will bring. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins salivating at the speed Jaylen Waddle, Will Fuller will bring.

I’m nervous for the RPO potential not because of the receiving threat. But because of the running threat. I honestly don’t believe we have one and will never have one with our quality of RBs.

I think any smart DC that’s worth their salt would take away the pass, as best you can, and DARE the Dolphins to beat them with our running group.

Show me that Gaskin and the rest can CONSISTENTLY take over the game when nothing else is available.
Jmo here, the RPO concepts are effective because they make great athletes think, and when great athletes think, they hesitate, and in a game of inches, it’s all one needs to execute

Some of you might remember that this time last year we were talking about the WR group being the strength of the team. By week 12 we were playing D-2 players out there. My point is, talking about getting rid of anybody right now is foolish. There will be injuries, and other factors that will affect the roster during the year. I wouldn't give up on Grant, Wilson, Hurns or even Bowden who has no clue what to do.
You are only going to roster 6 receivers. Some have to go. That's just a fact.

Why is it foolish to discuss the options on a fan forum in the middle of may?

You are only going to roster 6 receivers. Some have to go. That's just a fact.

Why is it foolish to discuss the options on a fan forum in the middle of may?
I think

Parker
Waddle
Fuller
Williams

are mortal locks.

If we keep 6,

Wilson
Bowden
Foster
Merritt
Hollins
Locksley
Hurns
Grant

are battling for two spots.

out of that list I personally keep

Wilson
Bowden

but I don't know how STeams may affect the final makeup.

I think

Parker
Waddle
Fuller
Williams

are mortal locks.

If we keep 6,

Wilson
Bowden
Foster
Merritt
Hollins
Locksley
Hurns
Grant

are battling for two spots.

out of that list I personally keep

Wilson
Bowden

but I don't know how STeams may affect the final makeup.

You gotta think Bowden is a lock, he'd be snatched up quick if we released him. Malcom Perry and Grant probably battle for the last spot

That he has. But even Watson's splits with and without Fuller show he's a big difference maker. He also had a strong rookie season with Brock O, and 3 great seasons in college tricking NFL teams into thinking Deshone Kizer was an NFL prospect.
Anyway, I don't want to sidetrack the discussion. I'm just excited to have Fuller. I think he's a big time playmaker that we sorely lacked last season.
Some texan site pulled this off next gen stats which indicates he does make a difference to Watson.

You gotta think Bowden is a lock, he'd be snatched up quick if we released him. Malcom Perry and Grant probably battle for the last spot
Bowden has been on 2 different teams and couldn't learn where he was supposed to be playbook wise? How is he a lock? Those 2 bad drops put Grant on a short leash but Bowden can't seem to learn the route tree.

Some texan site pulled this off next gen stats which indicates he does make a difference to Watson.

Thats not just a little difference, that's a very large, reliable, field stretching difference.

Wilson and Hurns are the best of the rest. I doubt they have any future with us though.

Hollins and Grant are important on special teams.

I am not overly impressed with Bowden.

Though Fuller will not be there against the Patriots, Miami will again throw at them a Healthy Parker, Williams, and Gesicki, and if speed is needed, Waddle, and Wilson will more then do their part.

Also, I agree 100% with Ghost, the Bills will still not know what to expect from Fuller, or how Miami will use him the following week, so it will give Miami a slight leg up on possibly doing some new things to possibly confuse the Bills defense.

Grant is the #6 or 7 WR on this roster as of now. He'd have to have a ZERO drop camp, preseason, and first month to have a chance on this roster. I think Grant will be traded off of his return skills for a 5th rounder before long.
I liked Grant, loved his ridiculous speed, and toughness, rooted for him to succeed, but if Grant starts camp as a top 6 receiver, he will lose that ranking by the end of that day.

There is way too much competition this season, and Grant couldn't catch a cold in a clinic of low immunity patients in a cold epidemic.

I like RPO situationally, and as a package within the overall design, but not so much as the overriding philosophy.
This.

As @Mach2 so astutely points out ... the RPO has it's flaws. But it's very hard to stop with those quick hitters. Mixed in with a wider array of plays it constantly hamstrings the defense. Either defenses go pure-speed and stuff the box to stop the RPO and lock down everything short in the run and pass game, or they play their situational packages ... but often they simply cannot do both. With Waddle, Fuller, Gesicki, Bowden, etc., we have a lot of guys who can wiggle free deep against stacked boxes. With Parker, Gesicki, Shaheen and Williams we have guys who can out-muscle and out-length DB's for easy pitch and catch. If we had an elite RB, this offense would be top echelon in the NFL. Not saying we will execute like that ... but we do have the personnel to be quite good on offense now.

With the speed of Waddle in the middle and Fuller stretching the field, Tua is going to have his best shot at throwing to guys who are wide open. Any team attempting to load the box is playing with a lit firecracker, because this group can blow the top off of a defense at any moment and from 3+ different positions. So mix in a few deep shots, run power against those speed-defenses using safeties masquerading as LB's. We know Tua is consistently accurate, and with a 1st, two 2nd's, a 3rd and another big FA, we've fully invested in the OL. Jesse Davis can play anywhere across the line competently, so we should have an above-average NFL OL. And these are not small boys ... they didn't skip the bacon at breakfast, so they should move the pile.

If we do as @Mach2 says and mix in the RPO situationally ... we're going to keep defenses off balance most of the game and start looking a bit like the old Patriots ... slowly but surely nipping away until we've strung together an 80 yard drive for a score. When the opportunity presents itself, BAM, over the top. And if they try to contain underneath, we have Waddle, Bowden, etc. breaking off chunk yardage from simple short passes.

In essence, this appears to be Coach Flo applying his defensive principles to the offense. He wants to become multiple on defense to match up with whatever the offense throws at him. So, on offense, he wants that same versatility to flip the play using the same personnel to exploit the defense's weaknesses in scheme and personnel. If it works ... we should be consistently effective on offense ... and that will be a most welcome change. :)

This.

As @Mach2 so astutely points out ... the RPO has it's flaws. But it's very hard to stop with those quick hitters. Mixed in with a wider array of plays it constantly hamstrings the defense. Either defenses go pure-speed and stuff the box to stop the RPO and lock down everything short in the run and pass game, or they play their situational packages ... but often they simply cannot do both. With Waddle, Fuller, Gesicki, Bowden, etc., we have a lot of guys who can wiggle free deep against stacked boxes. With Parker, Gesicki, Shaheen and Williams we have guys who can out-muscle and out-length DB's for easy pitch and catch. If we had an elite RB, this offense would be top echelon in the NFL. Not saying we will execute like that ... but we do have the personnel to be quite good on offense now.

With the speed of Waddle in the middle and Fuller stretching the field, Tua is going to have his best shot at throwing to guys who are wide open. Any team attempting to load the box is playing with a lit firecracker, because this group can blow the top off of a defense at any moment and from 3+ different positions. So mix in a few deep shots, run power against those speed-defenses using safeties masquerading as LB's. We know Tua is consistently accurate, and with a 1st, two 2nd's, a 3rd and another big FA, we've fully invested in the OL. Jesse Davis can play anywhere across the line competently, so we should have an above-average NFL OL. And these are not small boys ... they didn't skip the bacon at breakfast, so they should move the pile.

If we do as @Mach2 says and mix in the RPO situationally ... we're going to keep defenses off balance most of the game and start looking a bit like the old Patriots ... slowly but surely nipping away until we've strung together an 80 yard drive for a score. When the opportunity presents itself, BAM, over the top. And if they try to contain underneath, we have Waddle, Bowden, etc. breaking off chunk yardage from simple short passes.

In essence, this appears to be Coach Flo applying his defensive principles to the offense. He wants to become multiple on defense to match up with whatever the offense throws at him. So, on offense, he wants that same versatility to flip the play using the same personnel to exploit the defense's weaknesses in scheme and personnel. If it works ... we should be consistently effective on offense ... and that will be a most welcome change. :)
All of it depends on decent to good O-line play.

I'm optimistic last year's rooks will be improved, but we still have to see it on the field.

Back
Top Bottom