Dolphins Sensible To Hold Off On Breida Contract Talks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Sensible To Hold Off On Breida Contract Talks

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

I agree with this story. Sure, you don't want him to outperform himself into FA but let's at least get through camp and maybe two regular season games before signing him o a contract.

I believe they are doing the right thing. Let him play the season, if you want him, see what kind of money he wants.
Yeah. I wouldn't;t let him play the full season if he's playing good. Lock him up in late Sep or October. Or if he's just murderizing it in camp.

Although he’s talented and explosive, a question; persists whether he can hold up to a 16 game schedule. Availability must be your first attribute. If he is a good player but you can’t trust him to stay healthy, it doesn’t make sense to sink much money into him.

He has yet to show he can be a full time back.

And it is unlikely he will do that in Miami as he will be sharing carries with the more physical and durable Howard.

I can't see him having the kind of season where his price will be untenable for Miami.

I am hoping he plays well enough that they want to keep him around as trading a 5th for a one year rental would bug me.

He has yet to show he can be a full time back.

And it is unlikely he will do that in Miami as he will be sharing carries with the more physical and durable Howard.

I can't see him having the kind of season where his price will be untenable for Miami.

I am hoping he plays well enough that they want to keep him around as trading a 5th for a one year rental would bug me.
Why? A high percentage of rd5 picks never see the end of thier first contract. The Phins had so many picks this draft, that it is likely many of the rd 5/6/7 guy never make an impact here.

If you preferred to draft a back, thats a different story, but I don't see the 5th we gave up as a huge deal.

I just said it would bug me, not that i would be furious. ;)

It would be one thing if getting one year out of a guy would push the team up a level(making them a playoff team, or a div winner, or a title contender)but Breida is not going to do any of those things.

I think the fact that Miami used a 5th on him means they like him enough to keep him around for more than the year he has on his deal.

I just said it would bug me, not that i would be furious. ;)

It would be one thing if getting one year out of a guy would push the team up a level(making them a playoff team, or a div winner, or a title contender)but Breida is not going to do any of those things.

I think the fact that Miami used a 5th on him means they like him enough to keep him around for more than the year he has on his deal.

To be fair, a 5th round pick isn't likely to do any of those things either.

We traded a fifth. One pick out of a ridiculous 14, for a proven NFL back.

If we had only 5 or 6 picks to begin with, I might feel differently.

As far as extension talks, I think given his injury history, I would want to at least get him into camp for a look. For all I know, maybe he, and his agent, prefer to wait, as well.

We did that crap with McDonald. Gave him an extension sight unseen. I didn't think that was a good idea then, either.

I agree with this story. Sure, you don't want him to outperform himself into FA but let's at least get through camp and maybe two regular season games before signing him o a contract.
I agree with you @Fin-Loco and the article. The market for a scat back is not great. The valuation of a RB in general is down. People worry about durability. Playing in a contract year is one of the most effective performance motivators teams have and the Dolphins have always pushed for that (and typically lost good players to exorbitant FA contracts because of it). I am confident that the Dolphins will draft pass rushers, OL, safeties, and a RB in the 2021 draft. Both Breida and Howard are on notice that if they want a contract, they need to perform or be replaced.

That said, I really like Breida and think we made a good acquisition. He's inexpensive and offers opportunities to get chunk yardage even with a bad OL. He's a 3rd down pass catcher, and having Breida, Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant on the roster the OC has a lot of options for speed mismatches even if one gets injured ... and you know at least 1 will.

Last edited:
We passed on some good RB's this year and instead brought in a couple place keeper backs who I'm ok with

I could see us use a high pick on one next draft.

Those second rounders next year will be screaming for a RB.

I thought both Chuba Hubbard (OKST) and Travis Etienne (Clemson) we’re better prospects than anyone in this years class. Both could’ve declared this year.

Next years class is strong I think. Not elite though.

Back
Top Bottom