Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft

Just another thought.... Draft a QB high 1st- 2nd round and not address the Oline is the definition of insanity!!! It won't matter if we had Marino reincarnated he wouldn't succeed. (Alot of other needs) not wants.

if he hadn't had these major knee injuries i'd say no way, but because there is an obvious risk that we lose him again....yes i am happy to draft a first round qb to back up tannehill and serve as an insurance policy.

just my 2 cents

Unless you are sure there might be a problem with Tannehill recovery, you do not waste a 1st round pick on a position that may not even start for a while, if at all. We have way to many issues to take such a huge risk.

If the staff feels his career may have been shortened by the injury, then use the 2nd to get a QB that can grow with the team, and eventually take over.

I think we should bypass the 1st round pick on a qb, but 2-3, go for it. Depends who is on the board I suppose in the first. But a top 10 pick on a qb right now may not be wise, when we could get a difference maker potentially on defense, or maybe a DOMINANT OL. Like Quenton Nelson from ND

Oh yeah I love the idea of wasting more 1st rd picks in lineman that suck.

I believe it would be better served to get a TE or RB, LB, or even another Pass-rusher then spend it on a position that will not start for a while at best.

Unless you are sure there might be a problem with Tannehill recovery, you do not waste a 1st round pick on a position that may not even start for a while, if at all. We have way to many issues to take such a huge risk.

If the staff feels his career may have been shortened by the injury, then use the 2nd to get a QB that can grow with the team, and eventually take over.

That is almost exactly what we just did with Charles Harris. He may have been starting but he's a developmental guy at a position of need. I don't think we need to be sure there will be a problem, I think we just need to have reasonable belief that there very well could be a problem...which we definitely have. The only risk I'm worried about taking is putting all of our eggs in Tannehill's basket again.

Sort of a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice sort of scenario. If Tannehill goes out again mid-season and we didn't seriously address the QB position in this year's draft....well, we will be the fool.

Again, I used to think no as far as a QB in the first round because a first round should start right away and we have so many holes but that's the wrong thinking imo. Not drafting a QB in the first round because he "might" not start right away is foolish. We passed on Brees, we passed on Rodgers and we passes on Matt Ryan too. We've been complaining about the QB since Dan left but we don't want to do anything about it. My ideal situation would be this......if we're drafitng 6 or 7 then moving down for an extra 2nd or an extra 3rd and then taking a top QB prospect would make sense to me. That way we have the QB of the future and perhaps of the present too plus an extra picks because of all the holes we do have.

We drafted Harris this year knowing that it'd take time for him. He has ONE sack and 11 tackles all year so why not draft a QB that could lead this team for the next 10 years? And BTW, I'm a Tannehill supporter but there's no guarantee as to what we'll have with him coming back from major surgery and by the time he plays again it'd have been 19 months since he play in a real game and he will be 30. If he goes down again, do you people want Moore in there again? I'd rather have a young prospect that could turn out to be the guy instead of Moore who will never lead any team to the super bowl

Ozzy rules!!

The 2nd round is OK as insurance, if not a good backup just in case, but the 1st round should not be the time you go QB, when you already have a good one, and odds are, if Tannehill is ready, the 1st round will be a backup only.

Miami has way to many needs before even thinking QB (TE, RB, G, LB, FS, Corner, DE) to take a luxury pick in the 1st, when Tannehill very well will come back, is still pretty young, and if you put that 1st round pick behind him, will probably leave in FA or a trade, before ever starting a game.

I've been slowly changing my mind on that. I do think the team can win with Tannehill, but if you have the opportunity to upgrade it makes sense to do it. To me that's the question. Is one of the top five from this years' draft an upgrade or fools gold?

Fans like to point out that Baltimore won a super bowl with Dilfer and that Tampa Bay won with Johnson. That's true, but they could have had long-term success with better quarterback play. Both those teams had the types of defenses where they should have challenged for more than one title.

I would normally be resistant to this idea, but while I have every confidence that we would go far with a healthy Tannehill, again playing like a top 8-10 QB over the last 8 game stretch, especially with his long ball accuracy and Stills signed for the foreseeable future, I am not confident that he could overcome those injuries to regain that form.

Baker Mayfield is an exceptional QB from a skills standpoint. Beyond that he can carry a team, inspire his teammates (who didn't cheer Incog for flipping the Jets bench the bird?), has the "It Factor" and a winners' mindset. While I don't know about some of the other QBs (although Josh Rosen if he comes out is highly touted) if Mayfield is still on the board, I say we grab him and let next season play out, in hopefully a win-win scenario.

That is almost exactly what we just did with Charles Harris. He may have been starting but he's a developmental guy at a position of need. I don't think we need to be sure there will be a problem, I think we just need to have reasonable belief that there very well could be a problem...which we definitely have. The only risk I'm worried about taking is putting all of our eggs in Tannehill's basket again.

Not exactly the same scenario, with Harris, we needed to have two pass-rushers, and before taking Harris, we had only one pass-rusher that was 35 years old, and declining...that position was and still is a priority to get a consistent pass-rusher.

I have no problem getting a developmental QB just in case, but 1st round QB are very rarely allowed to go more then one year, without starting. If Tannehill is able to come back, the QB we get will need to back him up for at least 4 more years. That is a waste of a 1st round pick, and a huge gamble on a team that has higher priorities. Use a 2nd or 3rd if team feels they need to get a developmental QB, but not a 1st.

Sort of a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice sort of scenario. If Tannehill goes out again mid-season and we didn't seriously address the QB position in this year's draft....well, we will be the fool.

I am sure the team will have better backup this time, but i doubt very much if Tannehill's rehab is going according to schedule, that they are expecting to get another starter at QB.

I've been slowly changing my mind on that. I do think the team can win with Tannehill, but if you have the opportunity to upgrade it makes sense to do it. To me that's the question. Is one of the top five from this years' draft an upgrade or fools gold?

Fans like to point out that Baltimore won a super bowl with Dilfer and that Tampa Bay won with Johnson. That's true, but they could have had long-term success with better quarterback play. Both those teams had the types of defenses where they should have challenged for more than one title.

The thing that makes this a tough decision is, Tannehill is not Dilfer or Johnson. Give him average pass-blocking, and he can help to reach the playoffs and beyond every year.

I have no idea how Tannehill's rehab is going, or what his doctors believe, but if the plan is to have Tannehill ready for next year, you can not take a chance at a QB in the 1st round, even if he is a top prospect. Besides, recent history tells us if there really are 5 or more QB this year that can help a team, one or more will fall to the 2nd, take a chance then if the organization wants to get someone behind Tannehill that they can develop right away.

if a top qb is on board the dolphins should take him, thill17 is avg at best. we have been drafting og,de,ol for while. with thill17 we may make playoff maybe 1 out 4 or 5 yr. I would do same as what Kansas city is doing now. two yr later. I would move on from thill17 because i feel like he is a 8-8 or wildcard qb who would lose first rd game. it not knock on thill17. just do nt feel he can lead dolphins to superbowl.

The thing that makes this a tough decision is, Tannehill is not Dilfer or Johnson. Give him average pass-blocking, and he can help to reach the playoffs and beyond every year.

I have no idea how Tannehill's rehab is going, or what his doctors believe, but if the plan is to have Tannehill ready for next year, you can not take a chance at a QB in the 1st round, even if he is a top prospect. Besides, recent history tells us if there really are 5 or more QB this year that can help a team, one or more will fall to the 2nd, take a chance then if the organization wants to get someone behind Tannehill that they can develop right away.

A lot will come down to making the proper evaluation on Tannehill. How much better can he be with more talent around him etc? And making the right evaluation on the quarterbacks in the draft.

To your point, it certainly is possible to find a quarterback past the first round.

Back
Top Bottom