Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft

If we're going to do it in the first two rounds then it needs to be in the first round. Far more logic and upside to quarterback first round and offensive lineman second round than the other way around.

If we do it the other way around then it's the typical get-cute/poor-sense-of-value mode that we've embraced for so long.

I don't think we'll do it. Tannehill will look fine in the spring leading to the draft so focus will shift elsewhere.

If we're going to do it in the first two rounds then it needs to be in the first round. Far more logic and upside to quarterback first round and offensive lineman second round than the other way around.

If we do it the other way around then it's the typical get-cute/poor-sense-of-value mode that we've embraced for so long.

I don't think we'll do it. Tannehill will look fine in the spring leading to the draft so focus will shift elsewhere.
Yeah no more Chad Henne and John Becks please.

2000 to 2017 dolphins draft department... I have never seen team that cannot draft a qb. drew or ryan should of been our qb. I feel that you can get a fan to draft better than dolphins.

My thoughts exactly. We aren't blowing picks to draft a backup. Might as well take a sought after prospect with an elite ceiling, and those guys go round 1.

We don't get top 10 picks often when stuck in a 8-8 rhythm, I'm all about using this opportunity to pounce on the most important position in the game.

My thoughts exactly. We aren't blowing picks to draft a backup. Might as well take a sought after prospect with an elite ceiling, and those guys go round 1.

We don't get top 10 picks often when stuck in a 8-8 rhythm, I'm all about using this opportunity to pounce on the most important position in the game.

Worst comes to worst, Tanny lights it up next year and becomes a probowl QB for the next 5 years. We pull a Belichick and flip our new QB for a 1st round pick 3 years down the road. Kid will be on a rookie deal for 5 years anyway so he wouldnt be costing us a shitton of cap room.

2000 to 2017 dolphins draft department... I have never seen team that cannot draft a qb. drew or ryan should of been our qb. I feel that you can get a fan to draft better than dolphins.
You would think trading up for a QB would be no problem for Miami...especially when they trade up for bums like Jordan and Caroo

ryan tannehill will never be elite.
with an elite qb you can compete every year.
i wouldnt draft a qb just to draft one, but if you think there is an elite qb available you absolutely go get him. they're kinda hard to find, and ryan tannehill should not stop you from drafting one.

Since 2004 there have been 11 QBs drafted in the second round. One of them approaches top-of-the-line caliber (Derek Carr), one is Tannehill-level (Andy Dalton), one is an unknown at present (Deshone Kizer), and the rest are busts.

In other words, you stand an 82 to 91% chance of failing to do better than Tannehill by drafting a QB in the second round.

During the same period, 38 QBs have been drafted in the first round. 4 of them are beyond Tannehill's level (Rodgers, Ryan, Rivers, Roethlisberger), while 6 more are unknowns at present (Winston, Goff, Watson, Luck, Mariota, Wentz). The rest are at Tannehill's level or are busts.

So in the first round you stand a 74 to 90% chance of failing to do any better than Tannehill.

Whether a QB is drafted in the first or second round, the odds are against that QB's being any better than Tannehill.

This is why the effort in my opinion should be in signing Kirk Cousins, trading Tannehill for picks, and using the greater than normal number of early round picks to address other needs.

Cousins is already significantly better than Tannehill. There is no uncertainty there. And obviously the use of early-round picks to address other needs is more desirable than using one or more of them to draft a QB, given that one of the league's best QBs would already be in tow.

If we continue to lose and have no worse than a top 8 then it’s an absolute no brainer to draft a qb. Everyone that thinks there are more important holes on this team, you are part of the problem. I wish Ryan played this year, and I don’t hate him, but he is an average NFL QB, and average NFL QBs don’t win Super Bowls. There is zero evidence, potential isn’t evidence, that he is anything more than that. There is a lot of evidence proving that he is average. He is 37 and 40 as a starter. He has an 86 career passing rating. He has never won more than 8 games in an NFL season. Then of course you throw in his cap hit each of the next 3 years is right around 20 million, and that he is coming off acl surgery, and drafting a qb is a no brainer.

Elite QBs change franchises. There is no other position on an NFL roster that can do that. If you are lucky enough to have the pick in a draft that can land an elite qb you take your shot end of story.

Since 2004 there have been 11 QBs drafted in the second round. One of them approaches top-of-the-line caliber (Derek Carr), one is Tannehill-level (Andy Dalton), one is an unknown at present (Deshone Kizer), and the rest are busts.

In other words, you stand an 82 to 91% chance of failing to do better than Tannehill by drafting a QB in the second round.

During the same period, 38 QBs have been drafted in the first round. 4 of them are beyond Tannehill's level (Rodgers, Ryan, Rivers, Roethlisberger), while 6 more are unknowns at present (Winston, Goff, Watson, Luck, Mariota, Wentz). The rest are at Tannehill's level or are busts.

So in the first round you stand a 74 to 90% chance of failing to do any better than Tannehill.

Whether a QB is drafted in the first or second round, the odds are against that QB's being any better than Tannehill.

This is why the effort in my opinion should be in signing Kirk Cousins, trading Tannehill for picks, and using the greater than normal number of early round picks to address other needs.

Cousins is already significantly better than Tannehill. There is no uncertainty there. And obviously the use of early-round picks to address other needs is more desirable than using one or more of them to draft a QB, given that one of the league's best QBs would already be in tow.

You left some serious names in the pack with RT. Like two time super bowl mvp Eli Manning, and NFL MVPs Cam Newton and Matt Ryan, just to knock out the super obvious. Ryan has never played in a playoff game.

If or when Ryan Tannehill takes the field next year, he will be 30 years old, with no playoff experience. I like the guy, but since he still hasn't proven he can win big games at this point in his career, I don't want to rely on him going forward. That's not to say we should reach for a QB... from what I'm reading (I don't watch much college ball) some of the projected 1st round QBs next year are struggling and might not be worth a 1st round pick. But if the value is there I'm pulling the trigger despite having Tannehill on the roster. If Tannehill does play well, and a 1st round QB has to sit for a few years, so be it. It's still preferable to not rely on rookies anyway. But if Tannehill still can't win big games and can't move the ball well enough to get into/through the playoffs, I don't want to be stuck hoping the 2019 or 2020 drafts will have quality QBs in a position where we can draft them, and then throw that kid to the wolves early because the fan base is desperate for hope.

Yes 100%. We should follow the path that the Eagles took, at the time they traded Bradford he was around the same age as Tannehill is now, he didn't keep them from landing the QB prospect they loved. And they even moved up for him! Gave up a lot of picks, I'm not even advocating trading up for a guy, I'm just saying if there's an elite prospect that falls to us in the top 10 because that's almost surely where we'll be picking, you pull the trigger. Philly took Wentz to sit behind Bradford, fortunately for them Bridgewater went down a week before the season and out of depseration the Vikings made them an offer for Bradford they couldn't refuse. It worked out perfectly because the 16 games that Wentz started as a rookie were vital to his development and now he's a stud. If we get a great offer for Tannehill than goodbye, anybody offering a 1st can have him, trading him clears $15 mil in 2018, $21 mil in 2019, and $19.5 mil in 2020. That's more money to finally fix the offensive line, the defense, more money to lock up Landry for all you guys that desperately want to keep him.

Wentz is a potential MVP. Luck, Winston, and Mariota have all had similar if not better careers than Tannehill thus far....and Watson just broke Dan Marino's record in early touchdown success.

I am not going to argue whether or not those guys are better or worse than Tannehill, but this isn't about replacing Tannehill. This conversation has shifted from trying to upgrade the position....to legitimately putting in place an insurance policy in case Tannehill never gets that knee right, or re-injures it to a significant degree. That is a real possibility, and anyone denying that is being foolish.

Sure, we might upgrade in the process, but the coaches need to assume a worst case scenario, and invest in getting the franchise another quality quarterback....and all of the highlighted guys, IMO, look to be or already are quality quarterbacks.

EDIT: I also write this assuming that
a) the Skins are not letting Kirk walk out the door and
b) paying him a huge contract along with Tannehill potentially coming back is not wise. We can't get that guaranteed money back so you are legitimately cutting the cord on Tannehill in that scenario which I don't think is smart to do after investing all the time and money we already have

People also need to keep on mind that if we draft a QB that does good in pre season games and we feel he could be the guy, he could sit for a year but in year two he could be the starter and we could trade Tannehill and get something for him and the young guy would cost much less for the first 4 years so there's no reason for a rookie to sit for 4 years

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom