Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft

Any chance Baker Mayfield lasts into the second round?
No chance unless he has some dirty laundry aired. I think Darnold stays in school another year, and I think Jackson, Rosen, Allen, Rudolph all go within the top 15 picks. QB play this season in the nfl has probably been the worst it’s ever been in a long Time. Qbs will be flying off the board.

If we continue to lose and have no worse than a top 8 then it’s an absolute no brainer to draft a qb. Everyone that thinks there are more important holes on this team, you are part of the problem. I wish Ryan played this year, and I don’t hate him, but he is an average NFL QB, and average NFL QBs don’t win Super Bowls. There is zero evidence, potential isn’t evidence, that he is anything more than that. There is a lot of evidence proving that he is average. He is 37 and 40 as a starter. He has an 86 career passing rating. He has never won more than 8 games in an NFL season. Then of course you throw in his cap hit each of the next 3 years is right around 20 million, and that he is coming off acl surgery, and drafting a qb is a no brainer.

Elite QBs change franchises. There is no other position on an NFL roster that can do that. If you are lucky enough to have the pick in a draft that can land an elite qb you take your shot end of story.

Actually they do, but they do only when they're accompanied by one of the league's best defenses. And then they're good for usually only one such Super Bowl, due to the fact that it's very difficult to maintain such a defense, due to free agency, injuries, and individual player decline and retirement.

This is why it's obviously far more advantageous to have one of the league's best quarterbacks, which then necessitates only an average or better defense to be a perennial competitor for the Super Bowl. Obviously it's far easier to maintain an average or better defense over the NFL life of the QB.

And also remember folks if you do this you are essentially hitting the reset button and waiving the white flag on competing for anything til say 2020.

Especially with the pocket qbs they need time. Maybe you can shock the nfl with the kapernick and rg3 types in a Lamar Jackson or maybe mayfield takes the league by storm but the nfl catches up and if you don’t have pocket progression you damn well better have high level difference makers around it. Be it top shelf d or running game.

I’d much rather have these kids as plan bs than plan as and not forfit my immediate future on projects which is what they are at least in terms of pocket play

Just because you hit the reset button doesn't mean you're going to suck right away, or that it will take you 3 years to compete, there are plenty of teams that have made the playoffs with rookie QBs, or we see a big jump in year 2 like with Wentz, Goff, Mariota, etc...

There are two QB's I'd consider in the 1st, but to consider either top 10, I would have to see:

1. Mayfield measure with hands around 9 1/4".
2. Darnold has to finish strong and limit turnovers. He also has to declare, which sounds like a 50/50 proposition.

Jackson, Rosen, and Allen are not QB's I'd gamble on early, but someone will.

Mayfield is the best QB by a healthy margin, but small hands increase risk. 9" is the cutoff (Tannehill and Goff), but you'd really like to see 9 1/4" - closer to guys like Rodgers and Brady. As far as I'm aware, Tony Romo is the only QB in recent history to have success with hands smaller than 9".

After Mayfield and Darnold, I'd look up Jackson or Rudolph in the 3rd. They have contrasting strengths and limitations, but both can play under the right circumstances. You just have to live with Jackson's below-average accuracy and Rudolph's lack of improvisation. Jackson, of course, will be long gone, but that's where he's more likely to meet expectations.

On one hand, it's a great draft to go QB early, because the top-10 talent is weaker than most recent seasons (probably weakest since 2013); on the other, it could be a very bad year, because the QB talent might not be there (depending on the two points I highlighted early in the post). It's still early in the process, and we'll see how it shakes out.

If Miami waits until Day 3, Logan Woodside is kind of like a poor-man's Baker Mayfield. He's very good, and he aggressive pushing the ball deep, but he comes with questions about his physical tools. Arm looks good enough to me, but, again, we'll see.

Last edited:
It's very hard to make any concrete plans about what you're going to do until you see how the draft falls. If we're picking 7th and the exact QB that we want is sitting there to be taken I'd say to take him and be happy. We need a guy to groom behind Tannehill for the future and in case of injury. No more Matt Moore, no more Jay Cutler, it's time to draft a stud QB. QB is by far the most important position and we're sitting in a precarious position. We have to draft a big time kid and we have to be right about him. Sign a FA QB for the practice squad and you're set for a while at the position. Next we better bring in a real TE. That position is just killing us. We can't stop other team's TEs and our TE's are slow and mostly worthless. Get a damn TE and draft a LBer that can defend the pass over the middle.

There are two QB's I'd consider in the 1st, but to consider either top 10, I would have to see:

2. Darnold has to finish strong and limit turnovers. He also has to declare, which sounds like a 50/50 proposition.

Mayfield is the best QB by a healthy margin, but small hands increase risk. 9" is the cutoff (Tannehill and Goff), but you'd really like to see 9 1/4" - closer to guys like Rodgers and Brady. As far as I'm aware, Tony Romo is the only QB in recent history to have success with hands smaller than 9".

After Mayfield and Darnold, I'd look up Jackson or Rudolph in the 3rd. They have contrasting strengths and limitations, but both can play under the right circumstances. You just have to live with Jackson's below-average accuracy and Rudolph's lack of improvisation. Jackson, of course, will be long gone, but that's where he's more likely to meet expectations.

On one hand, it's a great draft to go QB early, because the top-10 talent is weaker than most recent seasons (probably weakest since 2013); on the other, it could be a very bad year, because the QB talent might not be there (depending on the two points I highlighted early in the post). It's still early in the process, and we'll see how it shakes out.

If Miami waits until Day 3, Logan Woodside is kind of like a poor-man's Baker Mayfield. He's very good, and he aggressive pushing the ball deep, but he comes with questions about his physical tools. Arm looks good enough to me, but, again, we'll see.

I feel that way too, another reason why I think we go QB. No one really jumps out at me from some of the positions you'd traditionally take that high.

I'm curious why you'd skip over Rosen early though, is it his size? Kid seems to be the real deal to me, unless his durability is an issue.

I feel that way too, another reason why I think we go QB. No one really jumps out at me from some of the positions you'd traditionally take that high.

I'm curious why you'd skip over Rosen early though, is it his size? Kid seems to be the real deal to me, unless his durability is an issue.

Rosen hasn't been consistent enough for me. This has been his best year by a wide margin, but to win at QB in the NFL, you need the right mix of great feet, instincts, intelligence and overall understanding, accuracy, and athleticism. You also need enough arm strength, but that's not a concern with Rosen or most QB's that people would even consider in the 1st. You can have deficiencies in one or two of these areas and still play well - if you excel enough in the others. Tom Brady is not a great athlete, but he aces every other category; Cam Newton's accuracy, feet (technique - not ability), and overall understanding are lacking, but his physical tools and instincts make up for that to a certain extent. Rosen makes some beautiful throws, but when I look at his overall game, I don't see a QB that moves the needle. I don't see him dissecting D's like a Brady or even Goff, and that's the way he'll have to win in the NFL. He doesn't have the physical gifts or instincts to extend plays or threaten the D with his mobility. He'll need to be the smartest, most-prepared guy on the field, and I don't think that's him.

Reactions: <O>
Let's just draft a QB in EVERY round! Why not? Just raise our odds in hitting on one. :p

No doubt Mayfield is the top prospect in my opinion.

The Ohio State game this year is instructive. Coming off an embarrassing home loss to Ohio State last year, Mayfield went into Columbus and dodged perhaps the best defensive line and pass rush in the country all day, to the tune of 11 YPA and numerous plays in which he bought time, made something out of nothing, and kept drives alive and passed for three touchdowns.

Mayfield was clearly the emotional leader of the team and the one who spearheaded its very impressive performance in Columbus that day, for a big win on the road. Oklahoma ran the ball for 2.8 yards per carry and won the game 31-17 nonetheless.

Now apply that to the NFL and division rivalries, other important games, and the playoffs. This is what you want and need from your QB in the NFL.

The guy willingly puts the team on his back and tries to win the game himself.

Just because you hit the reset button doesn't mean you're going to suck right away, or that it will take you 3 years to compete, there are plenty of teams that have made the playoffs with rookie QBs, or we see a big jump in year 2 like with Wentz, Goff, Mariota, etc...

Mariota has more ints than tds this year. His accuracy and the real reason the fact that his oline has taken a drop off this year which helped carry the qb to begin with have shown up.

Wentz has a top shelf d especially front 4 and has developed no doubt but I want to see it carry over year to year. Kids got a cannon no doubt he’s probably tbe one exception but he can play in the pocket.

Goff has the best running back in football and the best dc in football to boot. He still misses a lot of throws that was obvious watching him play the saints on Sunday but he was a very good prospect to begin with and he went #1. We aren’t acquiring a top 2 pick.

The rams have also done a really good job in one offseason of adding skill play makers around Goff and smart o line moves like the former Cincinnati left tackle whitworth

Let’s say it’s worst case scenario we win Sunday and everyone else who effects our draft slot negatively does how far do we drop from 9 worst case?

Any chance Baker Mayfield lasts into the second round?

If he goes off first at qb he will be the first qb in tbe history of the draft to my knowledge at least that has done so 6 foot 1 or less.

Measurables matter at qb when it comes to draft slot value.

Damn from 9th to potentially 17th and out of the top half

Ouch.

Anyways I’m wrong mike Vick was 6 foot and he went #1 over all.

Of course he also ran 4.4 flat

Back
Top Bottom